McGrew

Entries: 15492    Updated: Sat Jul 15 06:29:10 2000    Contact: Judy McGrew

Index | Descendancy | Register | Download GEDCOM | Add Post-em

  • ID: I2615
  • Name: Israel Shrieve Lappin
  • Sex: M
  • Birth: 5 MAY 1801 in Fayette, Pa. 1
  • Death: AFT 1884 1
  • Note: Note: History of Tuscarawas County, Ohio Warner, Beers & Co., 1884Page 667 Warren Township -The next section entered and occupiedwas 35. Samuel Lappin, a farmer from Fayette County, Penn., hadremoved to what is now Jefferson County, Ohio, about 1803, andsoon after entered into an arrangement with James and FinleyMcGrew and John Leatherman by which he was to locate and enter asection of land, to be divided equally among them and equallypaid for. Coming to the extreme western line of the sevenranges, Mr. Lappin selected Section 35, through the eastern partof which flowed One Leg Creek. Finley McGrew was a surveyor, anddivided the land into four equal parts, by running three lineseast and west through the section. The northern part becameLappin's. The two McGrews obtained the central half, andLeatherman the southern division. Lappin was the first of themto settle on this tract. He made a journey out in the spring of1805, accompanied by two employes, with whose assistance heconstructed a rude log cabin. Then returning to JeffersonCounty, he piloted his family to their future home, arrivingJune 18, 1805. The cabin into which they moved contained but twoapertures -one in the roof for a chimney, and a door-way. Itwas doorless and floorless for some time. Mr. Lappin remainedupon this farm though life, and died at the age of eighty-sevenyears, leaving a family of five children. Both he and his wife,Nancy, were members of the Methodist Church. He was Justice ofthe Peace while this territory was in One Leg Township, andCommissioner of the county. His son, Judge Israel S. Lappin, nowin the eighty-third year of his age, is still an active andhighly respected resident of the township. JUDGE ISRAEL SHRIEVELAPPIN, retired farmer, P.O. New Cumberland, was born May 5,1801, in Fayette County, Penn.; son of Samuel and Nancy (Gary)Lappin. Samuel Lappin came with his family to what is now WarrenTownship, June 18, 1805, and endured the hardships of pioneerlife when Steubenville was the nearest general market andmilling place. The paternal grandfather of our subject was ofIrish extraction, lived in New Jersey and participated in theRevolutionary struggle. Israel S. was raised on his father'sfarm, attended the primitive schools of his day, and, exceptingthe time spent in learning the carpenter's trade at Richmond,Ohio, was at home until his marriage, December 9, 1824, withMiss Sarah, daughter of John and Mary McGrail, formerly ofWestmoreland County, Penn. Mr. Lappin settled in WarrenTownship, and has ever since remained its worthy citizen. Hismother died May 29, 1831; his father, October 6, 1832, in hiseighty-seventh year. They were honest, industrious people, andhad the respect of the best society of Tuscarawas County. Israelworked two years at his trade. He was then a merchant at NewCumberland fourteen years, after which he returned to the farm.He was twice elected Justice of the Peace, but was obliged, frompressing business engagements, to resign during his second term.Without effort on his part, he was elected Associate Judge ofthe county, and served fourteen years. He has also been a NotaryPublic for fifteen years. To Judge and Mrs. Lappin were borneleven children, three of whom, Naomi, Adeline and Mary (wife ofDaniel Miller) are deceased; the living are Finley, Ann (widowof Enoch Fribley), Addison, Silas, Amanda (wife of WilliamMorrison, of Cleveland), Anderson, Margaret and Hamline C. Mrs.Lappin died September 23, 1872, aged sixty-six years. She hadbeen an affectionate wife and a wise and loving mother, and herloss was deeply felt and mourned by her many friends. JudgeLappin is a Democrat, but retains the privilege of independentthought in political affairs. He has always been foremost in thesupport of matters of public welfare, and is one of the mosthonored citizens of Tuscarawas County. Page 666 -WarrenTownship was formed March 31, 1819, from all that part ofTuscarawas County included in Township 15, Range 7, and the westhalf of Township 14, Range 6. It was thus six miles in widthnorth and south, and nine in length east and west. This land hadpreviously formed a part of One Leg Township. When CarrollCounty was organized in 1832, two-thirds of Warren Township, asthen constituted, became the territory of the new county,leaving but eighteen square miles of the township in TuscarawasCounty. This tract was too small to maintain an organization,and Warren must either acquire new territory or be dismembered.Through the efforts of JUDGE ISRAEL LAPPIN and others, theCommissioners ceded to the shattered township a strip half amile in width, two and one-half sections, from the eastern partof Fairfield, and one and a half sections from the north eastcorner of Goshen. The original eighteen sections belong to theseven ranges; the first survey made in the State, and the foursections, afterward acquired, form a part of the United StatedMilitary District Congress land. Page 548 Fairfield Township -Savana was the title of a town plat which was surveyed byThomas King, surveyor, for Edward Ogden, David McConnell andIsrael S. Lappin, the proprietors, June 12, 1834. It was locatedwest of the river near the Ohio Canal. The plat containedthirty-nine lots, regularly and systematically laid out, withstreets and alleys intervening, but it came to naught. Page671 - The following Justices have served in Warren Township:Israel S. Lappin, 1831; Israel Lappin, 1834, resigned 1835;Page 364 Tuscarawas County County Officers. - Commissioners;Samuel Lappin, 1813-1819. Page 670 Warren Township -TheMethodist Church was the first one built. The date of itserection about 1830, and the location was the site of thepresent edifice on Cross street, which is larger than the oldone, and was built in 1878, during the pastorate of Rev. JohnHunter. The first Methodist class in the township met at thecabins of its members -at Abel Williams', SAMUEL LAPPIN'S andelsewhere. Among the earliest members besides these two, wereWilliam Hall and Daniel Smith. One of the most successfulrevivals was conducted by Rev. Henry Wharton, in the oldchurch, during which about eighty members united with thechurch. Rev. Weaver is the present minister, and the society isin a prosperous state. Page 671 Warren Township -The firstschoolhouse was a rude log structure, built in 1812, andsituated in the southwest part of Section 36. William Vaughn wasthe first school master. He was a traveling surveyor, andtaught one term of three months, receiving 50 cents per scholarfor his services. After his departure, the farther needs ofeducation were realized, but no teacher was at hand. At lastSAMUEL LAPPIN undertook to conduct a school during bad weather,unwilling to assume duties which would interfere with theclearing of his farm. His proposition was acceptable to thepatrons of the school, for many of the school children also wererequired to labor whenever the weather would permit. Mr. Lappintaught for several winters. Page 669, 670 Warren Township - NewCumberland was laid out by Philip Suter in May, 1826, on thenorthwest quarter of Section 29. The plat included thirty-twolots, each three perches in width and twelve in length, sixteenof them fronting on Main street, which extends east and west,and sixteen on Cross street, extending north and south. JamesMeek, in 1841, made an addition of ten lots east of South Crossstreet; and, in 1847, John suter made an addition of twenty lotson East Main street. Shortly before making the plat Mr. Suterinduced SAMUEL LAPPIN, JR., to open a store on the site of thevillage. John Black a wagon maker, built the first house, andkept the first tavern. His residence here, however, was verybrief, for the Ohio Canal, then building through Bolivar,attracted him thither, with the prospect of more work. ISRAEL S.LAPPIN erected the next dwelling, designing to follow theavocation of house-carpenter and cabinet-maker. His brotherSamuel, however, dying in 1827, Israel abandoned his craft atthe solicitation of friends and took charge of the store,continuing a merchant of the little village fourteen years. J.WILLIAMS, dental surgeon, New Philadelphia, was born inFairfield Township October 11, 1832. His parents, Silas andSarah (LAPPIN) Williams, were both natives of this county, andhad twelve children, nine of whom yet survive. Silas Williamdied October 1, 1848, aged fifty-two years and one month. Hiswife died September 11, 1839, aged forty years and threemonths. The subject of this sketch was the eighth child of thislarge family. He was reared on the farm in Fairfield Township,and graduated at Mount Union College in 1859. He then studieddentistry with Dr. H.S. Stone, of New Philadelphia, and for ayear, from 1861 to 1862, was his partner. Dr. Williams thenpurchased the practice of his preceptor, and has ever sinceenjoyed a large and successful practice. He is a graduate of theOhio Dental College at Cincinnati, and is a member of theAmerican Dental Association, and of the Ohio State DentalSociety, of which he has been President. He is now a member ofthe State Board of Dental Examiners. His religious affiliationis with the M.E. Church. He is a Mason and an Odd Fellow; inpolitics is Republican, and has been a member of the CityCouncil and Board of Education. Dr. Williams was married, March29, 1855, to Catherine Clark, a native of Harrison County, Ohio.Her parents, Benjamin and Eleanor Clark, are natives of theprovince of New Brunswick. They have had four children -EdwardMcClean and Willie Edgar, now deceased, and B.C. and Charlie E.B.C. the eldest son, is a graduate in dentistry of theUniversity of Michigan, and is now practicing his profession atKansas City, Mo. ========================
  • Change Date: 20 NOV 1999



    Marriage 1 Sarah McGrail b: 30 JUN 1806 in Westmoreland, Pa.
    • Married: 9 DEC 1824 1
    Children
    1. Has Children Finley Lappin b: ABT 1824 in Warren twp, Tuscarawas, Ohio
    2. Has Children Anna Lappin b: 26 JUN 1828 in Warren twp, Tuscarawas, Ohio
    3. Has No Children Addison Lappin b: ABT 1829 in Warren twp, Tuscarawas, Ohio
    4. Has No Children Silas Lappin b: ABT 1832 in Warren twp, Tuscarawas, Ohio
    5. Has No Children Mary Lappin b: ABT 1834 in Warren twp, Tuscarawas, Ohio
    6. Has No Children Naomi Lappin b: in Warren twp, Tuscarawas, Ohio
    7. Has No Children Amanda Lappin b: ABT 1839 in Warren twp, Tuscarawas, Ohio
    8. Has No Children Anderson Lappin b: ABT 1843 in Warren twp, Tuscarawas, Ohio
    9. Has No Children Adeline Lappin b: in Warren twp, Tuscarawas, Ohio
    10. Has No Children Margaret Lappin b: ABT 1848 in Warren twp, Tuscarawas, Ohio
    11. Has No Children Hamline Lappin b: in Warren twp, Tuscarawas, Ohio

    Sources:
    1. Text: Kevin R. Howley khowley@aol.com

  • Index | Descendancy | Register | Download GEDCOM | Add Post-em

    Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly Version Search Ancestry Search Ancestry Search WorldConnect Search WorldConnect Join Ancestry.com Today! Join Ancestry.com Today!

    WorldConnect Home | WorldConnect Global Search | WorldConnect Help

    RootsWeb.com, Inc. is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. If you have a problem with a particular entry, please contact the submitter of said entry. You have full control over your GEDCOM. You can change or remove it at any time.