Name: John "Jean" Abshire
Birth: 1744 in Germany, Adams, Pennsylvania, USA
Death: 22 JAN 1810 in Opelousas Parish, Louisiana
According to Rev. Donald Hebert in the (SWLR) John Abshire is from Germany no parents mentioned and possibly spent some time in Pennsylvania. He married Francoise Hargrave daughter of Benjamin Hargraveand Rebecca Galtney, perhaps right after they arrived in Louisiana. If you will notice the entrys at their childrens birth it mentions Germany or Pennsylvania.
If you notice at the marriage of their daughter Rosalie in 1800 it states that they have been in the parish for 21 years.
ABSHIRE, boy (Jean APCHERE - "forgeron au Vermilion" (blacksmith at Vermillon) bur. 22 Jan. 1785 at age 2 mths. Fr. GEFFROTIN (SM Ch.:v.3,#31)
This entry gives us a clue as to his profession. (blacksmith at Vermillon)
Notes from Louisiana Acadian Genealogy website, Whitney Dartez:
Southwest Louisiana Records, 1750-1900 by Rev. Donald J. Hebert, Copyright, 1999:
ABSHIRE, Rosalie (John ABCHER - of Pennsylvania & Francoise HARTGRAVE - of Virginia, they are 21 years in this parish) m. 18 May 1800 John DRAKE - mul. libre, of S. Carolina, 4 years in this parish (Aaron - of Elizabeth County, Virginia & Charity CHEVES - also of Virginia, all mul. libre & 4 years in this parish) Wits: John ABCHER - father of bride, Aaron DRAKE - father of groom, Carlos Daniel FAGOT, Jean Baptiste Louis CHEMIN, Colas HEBERT, John THOMASSON, John DARCY, Marie LEE WHITE. Fr. Michel Bernard BARRIERE (SM Ch.: v.4, #195)
Is this John/Jean and Francoise/Fanny's child?
ABSHIRE, boy (Jean APCHERE - "forgeron au Vermilion" [blacksmith at Vermillon]) bur. 22 Jan. 1785 at age 2 mths. Fr. GEFFROTIN (SM Ch.: v.3, #31)
Is she related to John?
ABSHIRE, Rachel (John ABCHER & Marie COMASOUGH) m. 12 Aug. 1824 Benjamin HANKS (Laf. Ct.Hse.: Mar.#175)
Francoise "Fanny" Hargrave b: 28 OCT 1760 in Brunswick County, Virginia
in New Iberia, Louisiana
- Elizabeth Abshire b: 1780
- Rosalie Abshire b: 15 JAN 1783 in Bayou Vermilion, Louisiana
- John "Jean" Jr. Abshire b: 25 JAN 1786 in St. Martinville, Louisiana
- Benjamin Abshier b: 20 JUN 1788 in St. Martinsville, Louisiana
- Anna Abshire b: 1790 in Attakapas, Louisiana
- Theophile Abraham "Abram" Abshire b: NOV 1792 in Attakapas, Louisiana
- Susanna Abshire b: 12 NOV 1794
- Joseph Abshire b: 9 JUL 1797 in St. Martinville, La
- Jacob "Jacques" James Abshire b: 25 NOV 1802 in Attakapas, Louisiana
- Isaac Abshire b: 12 AUG 1806 in St. Martinville, Louisiana