Name: Mary OADHAM
Change Date: 04 OCT 2010
Birth: 26 OCT 1720 in Fort St George, India 1
Baptism: 27 NOV 1720 Fort St George, Tamil Nadu, Madras, India 2
Mary Oadham inherited the estate of Bockenden Grange, near Coventry in Warwickshire, from her father.
Death: 04 SEP 1801
Burial: 09 SEP 1801 St Giles's Church, Colchester, Essex
Note: "in the Great Aisle .. near St Johns Gate"
She inherited the estate of Porters in Essex from her cousin Lady Clifton. Dame Judith Clifton was the daughter of Captain Thwaites and Judith Elwick (whose second husband was Sir Edward Leighton). She was the third wife of Sir Robert Clifton whom she survived and became Dame Judith Clifton. She died at Clifton Hall, Nottinghamshire in 1765.
The following is an extract from "The Illustrated History of Coventry's
Suburbs" by David McGrory:
"In the 12th century Henry II gave land at Westwood Heath to the Cistercian Monks of Stoneleigh Abbey. It is said that when the monks first came to the area in the 1150s, they established a grange farm, which seemed to exist
mainly to exploit the surrounding woodland. Opposite the site of what is generally thought to be the original Bockidene Grange in the present woodland called The Pools, they dug their fish ponds, traces of which can still be seen.
The grange moat was over 30ft wide and kept the fish ponds full of water. There were once two buildings of uncertain age inside the moat........... There was once a hamlet here, for in 1325 the abbot of Stoneleigh forced 25 of his tenants to abandon their homes. Nearby Hurst and Cryfield were also affected.
It is thought the monks stopped using the site by the end of the 14th century and leased it. Experts believe Bockendon Grange Farm, surrounded by a smaller moat, may have been the original grange farm. Although the present building dates back to the 18th century, there was possible traces of medieval work. Behind Bockendon Grange is another smaller moat that appears to have been created over ridge-and-furrow near the original settlement site."
The Leigh family bought Stoneleigh Abbey and surrounding lands in 1561. In 1928, the then current Lord Leigh sold off a lot of the Stoneleigh Estate. The Auctioneers catalogue listed Bockendon Grange as Lot
No 35 and described it thus:
"A Compact Mixed Farm, known as Bockendon Grange Farm, comprising an old-fashioned House, range of brick and tiled Buildings and closes of fertile, arable and sound pasture land, the whole extending to an area of 177 acres, 1 rod and 33 perches or thereabouts. The Residence is situate a convenient distance off the road, is in good repair, and contains the following accommodation:- Porch, tiled Entrance Hall, Drawing Room, 15ft 9in by 13ft, with fireplace and marble mantel, Breakfast Room, 15ft 3in by 10ft, Dining Room, 16ft 9in by 14ft, with ingle nook, China Pantry, Larder, excellent Dairy, Kitchen, with copper and sink, cellar. On the First Floor, approached by front and back Staircases, are Landing, five Bedrooms, Boxroom, and Bathroom. (Bath, lavatory basin, tank, fittings and partitions are claimed by the Tenant.) Covered Yard with Wash-house, with copper and sink, Pump and Closet. Well kept Gardens include Kitchen Garden, Pleasure Garden, with Lawn and Orchard. The Farm Buildings are conveniently placed and include:- Range of nine Duck Pens, two Calf Pens, Cowshed for six and Calf Pen, Loose Box with Loft over, Carthorse Stable for five with part loft over, Engine Shed, Cowshed for 13, two-bay open Feeding Shed and Yard, four pigstyes, Workmen's Bothy with two rooms over, two Loose Boxes, Calf Pen, Three-span Four-bay DUTCH BARN, three-bay lean-to Cart Shed, two-bay Wagon Hovel, Trap Shed and
Rickyard. There is a Water Trough in the yard.
Let to Mr Thomas Lea, together with other land, on an Annual Ladyday
Tenancy, at an apportioned rent of £292 10s 0d per annum."
John English left to his son Charles all his lands in the Parish of Kingswood, and his gold seal ring that had belonged to his grandfather's grandfather. To his granddaughter Oadham he left his best Tea table and all his chinaware. 3 4 5
Father: Catesby OADHAM
Mother: Mary ENGLISH b: 31 OCT 1696
George PURVIS b: 25 NOV 1718 in Darsham, Suffolk
15 MAY 1742
in St Anne's Church, Soho, London, England
- Note: Faculty Office licence, dated 12 May 1742. 7 1
- George PURVIS RN b: 29 JUN 1751 in Parish of Allhallows Barking, London, England
- Title: Genealogical data obtained from four family record books, maintained over many generations.
- Title: IGI, Subject: IGI
Page: Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church. No additional information is available.
- Title: Probate
- Title: A2A, Record Type: Catalogue Index, Url: http://www.a2a.org.uk/
Page: Shakespeare Birthplace Trust Records Office: Leigh of Stoneleigh
Deeds relating to the Warwickshire estates of the Leighs
Deeds and papers relating to Bockenden Grange, Stoneleigh, Warwickshire - ref. DR 18/10/11
- Title: Probate
Page: PROB11/715, John English, Citizen and Salter of London
Written 2 September 1737
Prob. London 18 January 1741
- Title: Purvis Rickcord Chart
Abbrev: Purvis Rickcord Chart
Author: JGV Rickcord
- Title: IGI, Subject: IGI
Page: George PURVIS Mary OADHAM
MARRIAGE: 15 May 1742, Saint Anne Soho, Westminster, London, England
PAGE: Batch #: M062365, Sheet #: , Source Call #: 0918609, Printout Call #: 6901254, Dates: 1686 - 1784