Name: John Edward DEVLIN
Given Name: John Edward
Birth: ABT 1809 in Antrim,Ireland
Death: 22 FEB 1885 in Indian River,Ontario,Canada
Burial: 25 FEB 1885 St. Joseph's Cemetery,Douro,Ontario
Reference Number: 24
Tombstone St. Joseph's Cemetery, Douro, Ontario
Change Date: 15 DEC 2006 at 13:40:11
In Memory of
John Devlin died Jan 22, 1885 Age 76 years
Also Ann Fahey his wife died Oct 3, 1853
age 31 years, natives of Antrim and Tipperary Ireland
Also their Daughter ELLEN died April 8, 1850 age 1 year
Ontario Vital Statistics Death Registration Number 014030-85
Name: John Devlin
Date of Death: 22 January 1885
Age: 76 years
Place of Birth: County Antrim Ireland.
Informant Roger Devlin
Date Registered: 14 May 1885
Religion: Roman Catholic
702 The Will of John Devlin. Papers filed
1851-52 Census Canada West Peterborough County
Otonabee Township line 24 thru 29
John Devlin Farmer Ireland C 44 m loghouse
Mrs. Devlin Ireland 29
Mary Devlin Canada 10
Roger Devlin Canada 8
Patrick Devlin Canada 7
Mary Fahey Ireland 70
Agriculture Census John Devlin Concession 7 lot 28 200 acres 60 under cultivation 40 under crops 1851 20 under pasture under wood 140 Wheat 10 acres 150 bushells peas 5 100 oats 3 90 Indian corn 7 9 potatoes 3 50 hops 3lbs hay 5 tones wool 48 lbs 2 bulls 3 milk cows 22 sheep 8 pigs 300lbs butter 6 barrels pork
The Will Of John Devlin:
This is the last will and testament of me John Devlin of the Township of Otonabee in the County of Peterborough,
Yeoman. Dated at Peterborough this 9th January 1883.
1. I give and bequeath to my son Rodger all my personal estate of what nature and kind so ever and where so ever situate subject to the payment of my just debts and funeral and testamentary expenses and a sum of sixty dollars to my brother William should he survive me.
2 I give and devise to my son Rodger to his own use the South West Quarter of Lot Twenty Nine in the Seventh Concession of the said Township of Otonabee reserving the re out the road allowance now used for the purpose of getting into my other lands, such road allowance to be used in common by said son Rodger, his heirs and assigns and the owners and tenants of said other lands.
3. I give and devise the West half of Lot Twenty Eight in the Seventh Concession and the East half of Lot Twenty Eight in the Eighth Concession of the said Township of Otonabee to the executors of this my Will to hold to the use of my son Rodger for his life subject to the payment to my son William John of Six Hundred Dollars over and above the Five Hundred Dollars I have already advanced him to be paid in Six annual payments of one hundred each to be paid in two yeas after my death. except my said son Rodger shall have been obliged to pay any moneys for said son William John in which case the amount shall be deducted from the sum hereby devised and after the decease of my said son Rodger. As to the first mentioned parcel of land in this paragraph in this my will referred to the use of the Youngest son of the said Rodger who may be living at the time of his fatherís decease and as to the Secondly mentioned parcel of land in this paragraph to this my will to the use of the next elder son of my said son Rodger who may then be living, but in case only one son should there survive, to hold the first mentioned parcel of land to his use and as to the Second mentioned parcel of land to sell The same and divide the proceeds thereof amongst the daughters of the said Rodger, share and share alike. The rents and profits of the said parcel of land and the interest of the proceeds of the said sale to be paid during the minority of the daughters of the said Rodger respectfully to his widow as long as she shall remain his widow for the maintenance of herself and the said daughters and in the event of her death or marrying again to be paid to my executors to be by them applied for the maintenance of the said daughters.
4. It is my will that my said son Rodger shall provide for, feed clothe and keep my brother James Devlin during the remainder of his natural life and shall allow him to live with him and generally enjoy the privileges he now has.
5. I give and devise to my son James to his own use the West half of Lot Thirty Eight in the Second Concession of the said Township of Otonabee.
6. It is also my will that my said son Rodger should not take upon any of the parcels of land devised to him or for his use a married woman or a man with a family or let same on shares and he shall hold the said parcels land only so long as he shall comply with this direction.
7. I hereby appoint Patrick Sweeney of the said Township of Otonabee Farmer and my son James executors of this my will.
Signed, sealed, published and delivered by the testor John Devlin in the presence of us who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have herewith subscribed ore names as witnesses. R. D. Deck and George Hatton.
This is a codicil to the last will and testament of me John Devlin of the Township of Otonabee in the County of Peterborough, Farmer bearing the date of the ninth day of January AD 1883.
I give and bequeath to my son Patrick Devlin and to my daughter Mary Fitzgerald wife of John Fitzgerald the sum of fifty dollars each to be paid within two years after my decease out of the property real or personal devised by me by my said last will to my son Rodger.
It being my will that my said son Rodger should take such properties subject to these payments in this codicil mentioned in addition to the charges already against said properties as fully mentioned in my said will.
Signed by the said testor John Devlin as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us at the same time, who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnesses. L. E. Dinors and George Hatton.
Ann FAHEY b: ABT 1837 in Tipperary,Ireland
- Mary DEVLIN b: JAN 1842 in Tipperary,Ireland
- James DEVLIN b: 5 AUG 1844 in Tipperary,Ireland
- Roger DEVLIN b: 2 NOV 1846 in Indian River,Ontario
- Patrick DEVLIN b: JUN 1848 in Canada West
- Ellen DEVLIN b: APR 1849 in Indian River,Ontario,Canada c: APR 1849 in St. Joseph's,Church,Indian River,Ontario
- William John DEVLIN b: 7 MAR 1852 in Indian River,Ontario,Canada