Name: William KEITH 1 2 3
Birth: 8 JUL 1710 in Parish of North Frodingham, County Yorkshire, ENGLAND
Death: ABT 1810 in Brunswick County, North Carolina USA
Will: 1803 Brunswick County, North Carolina
Probate: 1810 Brunswick County, North Carolina
Census: 1790 Surry County, NC Federal Census; males (1) over 16; females (2)
Census: 1800 Brunswick County, NC Federal Census; males (2) 1-10, (1) 10-16; (1) 45+; females (1) 1-10, (1) 10-16, (1) 45+
Burial: ABT 1810 North Carolina USA
Immigration: 1766 ENGLAND to Fernandina Beach, Florida USA
Note WILLIAM KEITH and MARTHA ELLIS were my 5th great paternal grandparents.
Note The DOB on the children of this couple, especially the daughters, may be incorrect. They had daughters on those dates, but their names may be mixed up.
Age at Death (Facts Pg) 100 years old
Reference Number: IND2423
WILLIAM KEITH left a Will in Brunswick County, NC dated 1810, naming wife
MARTHA and sons, WILLIAM, JAMES, JONAH and GEORGE. The sons moved to
south Georgia and Alabama. Many records apparently have been lost.
JONAH KEITH fought in the early Indian Wars and died in 1824 leaving a
widow, MARY. She remarried in 1826 to Noah ALLEN. JONAH and MARY KEITH
had three children one of which was DAVID H. KEITH (b:1815 NC) m. 1836 to
Martha P. McCORKEL, Early County, GA. They in turn had five children
including JAMES M. KEITH (b:1844 FL) who married ADNA LEA "Adner"
COLEMAN. JAMES and ADNER had five children.
SOURCE: Larry Keith, http://keithclan.com/
This family removed to the new America's. WILLIAM KEITH apparently landed
in Fernandina, Florida (present day Nassau County) near the mouth of the
Saint John's River about 1760 with four children:
(1) JAMES KEITH: removed to Alabama; married and had one child. JAMES was
killed by Indians.
(2) GEORGE KEITH: went North, probably to Pennsylvania, and no further
trace of him can be found.
(3) WILLIAM KEITH: b: 1762-1764, although some authorities think he was
born before 1760. He settled in South Carolina, in or near Darlington
District; apparently the WILLIAM KEITH of Brunswick County, NC, in
1810-1812. During the Revolutionary War he was Miller boy for Marion, the
Swamp Fox, and he ran the mill day and night so continuously that the
runner or rocks broke. From there he removed near the Moore's Creek
Battle Ground, about 30 miles from Wilmington, North Carolina.
(a) WILLIAM KEITH: d: unmarried; was a wealthy planter of Nroth
(b) BENJAMIN KEITH: born 1820 or 1821; died 1895 or 1896; had two
sons, one of whom was ...
(1) BENJAMIN FRANKLIN KEITH: married and had five children.
(4) LYDIA KEITH: married --- DARGAIN, of South Carolina.
SOURCE: "The Keith Genealogy" by J. Montgomery Seaver.
Father: George "of North Frodingham" KEITH b: 1666 in Parish of North Frodingham, County Yorkshire, ENGLAND
Mother: [--?--] b: 1676 in SCOTLAND or ENGLAND
Martha ELLIS b: 28 JUN 1730 in Westminster, London, County Middlesex, ENGLAND c: 9 AUG 1730 in Whitchurch, County Shropshire, ENGLAND
13 MAY 1754
in Brompton by Sawdon, County Yorkshire, ENGLAND
in FamilySearch.Org Batch No. M039991 (1754-1767), Source Call No. 0573986, Film, Printout Call No. 6909939
in William KEATH and Martha ELLIS
- Note: FamilySearch.Org has the date mistranscribed as "1854", should be "1754" p er their own so noted dates.
- Ferraby KEITH b: BET 1755 AND 1758 in Parish of North Frodingham, County Yorkshire, ENGLAND or Brunswick County, North Carolina USA
- Isabella KEITH b: BET 1755 AND 1758 in Parish of North Frodingham, County Yorkshire, ENGLAND or Brunswick County, North Carolina USA
- James "Scout" KEITH b: ABT 1761 in Parish of North Frodingham, County Yorkshire, ENGLAND
- George "of Patterson Mill" KEITH b: ABT 1762 in Parish of North Frodingham, County Yorkshire, ENGLAND
- Margaret KEITH b: BET 1765 AND 1772 in Parish of North Frodingham, County Yorkshire, ENGLAND or Brunswick County, North Carolina USA
- William KEITH b: ABT 1766 in Parish of North Frodingham, County Yorkshire, ENGLAND
- Jonah KEITH b: 1774 in Brunswick County, North Carolina
- Lucy KEITH b: BET 1785 AND 1794 in Brunswick County, North Carolina USA
- "The Keith Genealogy" by J. Montgomery Seaver (published 1930)
- "British Deportees to America, Part 3: 1766-1767", by Clifford Neal SMITH, Westland Publications, 1981, 73p.
- Larry Keith, http://keithclan.com/