Name: Lorinzo Dow Hughes
Birth: 20 FEB 1844 in Cabell County, W. VA
Death: 21 JAN 1916 in Cabell County, W. VA
Census: 1900 Barboursville, Cabell, W. Va; Page: 6B; En Dist: 2.House #112
Census: 1880 Barboursville, Cabell, W.V.; Page: 81.1000; District: 11
Reference Number: |
- Occupation: Farmer & Preacher
L.D. Hughes was named after Loinzo Dow, an eccentric traveling minister. He
began as a Methodist but was never officially accepted by them. Born in 1777
in CT, died in Washington DC in 1837, many Americans named sons after him.
No doubt, Spottswood and Paulina heard him speak at one of his many camp
meetings in Va or WV. and named their first son after him.
His life is described in "Holstom Methodism" by R.N.Price, published in 1908.
On 6 FEB 1915, L.D. Hughes sold the land he received from his father,
Spottswood, to his son Galley. This deed is recorded in Deed Book 139,
page 54 of the Cabell Co records. The conditions of the sale were such
that L.D. was to remain on the property for the rest of his life and possession
of the property went to Galley upon the death of L.D.
Father: Spottswood H. Hughes b: 1813 in Amherst County, VA
Mother: Paulina Jenkins b: 1816
Electra Dillon b: 1844 in W. V.
13 MAR 1867
in Cabell Co, WV 2
- Charles Beverly Hughes b: 22 JAN 1868 in Cabell County, W. VA
- Mary E. Hughes b: 7 OCT 1869 in Cabell County, W. VA
- McHurston C. Hughes b: 4 APR 1871 in Cabell County, W. VA
- Georgie B Hughes b: 26 SEP 1872
- William Franklin Hughes b: 17 OCT 1875 in Cabell County, W. VA
- Gallington (Galley) Hobert Hughes b: 21 JAN 1877 in Cabell County, W. VA
- Alma V Hughes b: 10 OCT 1878 in Cabell County, W. VA
- Adeline Hughes b: 8 FEB 1879 in Cabell County, W. VA
- Arnold Venson Hughes b: 20 DEC 1882 in Cabell County, W. VA
- Abbrev: Photo copyright 2004, B.V. Hughes
Photo copyright 2004, B.V. Hughes
- Abbrev: Lewis R. Dillon II, email@example.com,
Lewis R. Dillon II, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://users.ezwv.com/~ldillon/etdillon.html