Return to normal view

The Hughes Family History

Entries: 8991    Updated: 2013-08-25 22:41:04 UTC (Sun)    Contact: Vince Hughes    Home Page: The HUGHES Family Tree  Note: You will leave RootsWeb

  • ID: I20
  • Name: John Bethune McKinnon
  • Sex: M
  • Birth: 5 MAY 1846 in McNairy County, TN
  • Death: 1 FEB 1890
  • Occupation: Postmaster & cabinetmaker
  • Reference Number:

    •  
    • Note:
      John McKinnon and his father both served as Post Master of the Montezuma, Tn
      Post Office. While on a "genealogy expedition" in Sep of 2005, I happened to find
      Mr. Clayton Skinner of Montezuma whose father was the last Post Master to serve that area.
      Mr. Skinner continued to run the general store for many years and when he sold the store,
      he removed the old Post Office station and carefully restored it in his home. The Photo was taken in Mr. Skinner's home and is believed to be the actual Post Master's station used by the McKinnon's.
      Many thanks to Mr. Skinner for preserving this part of history!
    • Note:
      *******
      History of McNairy Co, from McNAIRY COUNTY, TN - MISCELLANEOUS -
      1876-1877 Business Directory
      (Taken from Roots Web Search of TN archives.)

      Montezuma

      A village of 150 people. Settled in 1820, in the north-western part of
      McNairy County, 18 miles from Purdy, the county seat. There are three
      stores, hotel, steam grist mill, various artisans, shops, a Methodist
      church and mixed school. Cotton, wheat, corn and dry hides are exported.
      Mail, semiweekly. J. B. McKinnon, postmaster.

      Business directory: A. H. Bevel, carpenter, G. W. Bulliner, general store;
      Miss. Sallie Bias, dressmaker; J. M. Cunningham, teacher; A. H. McKinnon,
      jeweler; J. B. McKinnon, cabinetmaker; Mrs. Pollie McKinnon, hotel;
      Muse & Co., druggist; Jesse Overton, carpenter; D. J. Ozment,
      blacksmith; J. W. Perkins, physician; J. P. Randolph, grist mill;
      J. L Rodgers & Son, saddlers; W. F. Rowsey, general store; W. B.
      Skinner, blacksmith; Clayton Skinner & Co., general store; Robert
      Spindle, saloon; W. T. Weaver, shoemaker.

      .
      The 1880 census of McNairy County, TN, vol 21, e.d. 119, sheet 1, line 24, shows the following:
      J.B. McKennon, race W, sex M, age 34, birthplace TN, residence- McNairy County, district #4

      Other members of the family are listed as S.E. McKennon, wife, age 30, birthplace TN
      E.A. McKennon, son, age 5, birthplace TN
      J.A. McKennon, son, age 3, birthplace TN
      A.B. McKennon, son, age 1, birthplace TN

      According to "TN Post Offices and Postmaster appointments 1789 to 1984", compiled by D.R. Frazier, 929.368 F848t., John served as Postmaster of Montezuma, TN from 26 April 1870 until November 1878.

      The 1850 census of McNairy Co, TN shows John living with his parents, Alexander and Mary Ann in dwelling # 1015 on page 147.

      The TN State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1887 volume V published by R. L. Polk & Company of Nashville, TN shows John to be a partner in McKinnon and Brown, Carpenters.

      The 1870 census of McNairy Co, TN shows John to be living with his widowed mother in dwelling #49 of District 4. It lists his occupation as Postmaster.

      --------------------------------------------------------
      TIME LINE FOR JOHN B. McKINNON:

      1846 May 5 J.B. born in McNairy Co according to notes from L.C. Nichols

      1850 McNairy Co Census of 1850 shows John B., age 4, living in same
      dwelling as Alexander and Mary Ann McKinnon.
      Documented by photocopy of census page.

      1870 McNairy Co Census of 1870 shows John B. living in same dwelling with
      Mary Ann McKinnon (head of household, age 48. John's age is
      shown as 24 and his occupation is Postmaster.
      (Mary Ann would be his widowed mother -- Alexander was killed in 1864).
      Documented by photocopy of census page.

      1870 April 26 John B. is appointed Postmaster for the
      Montezuma Post Office. Documented by photocopy of
      appointment book.

      1873 Dec 22 John B. married Sally E. Atkins.
      Documented in County Book "F", page 92.

      1876 Business Directory for TN, 1876, shows John B. to be the
      Postmaster and cabinet maker in Montezuma.
      Documented by transcribed copy.

      1880 McNairy Co Census of 1880 shows John B., age 34,
      head of household with wife S.E., age 30 and son
      E.A., age 5. Documented by photocopy of census page.

      1883 Aug 17 Sally dies, apparently in childbirth of infant son, who died
      the next day. According to notes from L.C. Nichols.

      1885 April 22 John marries Mary E. Martindale according to the
      notes of L.C. Nichols.

      1887 TN Business Directory shows John B. and Robert Brown in
      partnership as "McKinnon and Brown,
      carpenters" in Henderson, TN, now in Chester Co.

      1890 Feb 1 John B. dies according to notes from L.C. Nichols.

      1926 Edgar Alonzo McKinnon dies. His death certificate shows
      father to be John B. McKinnon and mother to be
      Sarah Elizabeth Atkins. The birthplace of father is Montezuma, TN
      and birthplace for mother is "Tenn."
      The information for the death certificate was given by Mrs. W.C.
      Holt (Sadie McKinnon Holt) of Dyer, TN.
      Documented by photocopy of death certificate.



      -----------------------------
      Research Note:
      "Genealogical Abstracts From Reported Deaths - -The Nashville Christian Advocate",
      Abstracted by Jonathan K.T. Smith in 2002 shows an entry in the 06 SEP 1890 edition. The obituary of
      John B. McKinnon is listed, giving the birth date as 05 MAY 1846 and the death date as 01 FEB 1890.
      The original records of the Nashville Christian Advocate have been transferred to Drew University
      in Madison, NJ. They have been contacted and asked to locate the original for further study. 14 JUN 2007 vh.
      -----------------------------
      The following was received from Drew Univ:
      The following is a transcribed version of the Obit notice that appeared in the
      Nashville Christian Advocate. Many thanks to Drew Univ. for their help in locating
      this article.

      JOHN B. McKINNON was born May 5, 1846;
      died Feb. 1, 1890. He was converted while a boy.
      He then joined the Cumberland Presbyterian
      Church, but soon afterward united with the M.
      E. Church, South, in which he lived till death
      called him away to the Church above. He was a
      good man, and died in the faith. He leaves a wife
      and several children to morn their loss. They
      sorrow not as those who have no hope.
      E.B. GRAHAM
      ------------------------------------------------

      http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/tn/gibson/history/1901/gibsoncountyillu/illustrated.txt
      Gibson County:

      The Churches of Milan.

      The Congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized about
      1865, and worshiped, prior to the erection of the present church building, in
      the old Masonic Hall, since torn down. The present church building was erected in
      1868. The first pastor was O. P. Parker, in 1868. Since then the following have
      served the church as pastor: J. H. Garrett, W. T. Bowling, Ed Organ, T. L.
      Sanders, J. E. Beck, W. H. Leigh, B. F. Peeples, J. M. Scott, A. L. Pritchett,
      J.M. Maxwell, M. M. Taylor, W. H. Armstrong, R. M. King, E. B. Graham, B. A. Hays,
      W. T. Lock, J. T. Wiggins, B. F. Blackman, W. W. Adams, W. D. Jenkins, and S. B.
      Love. The present pastor is J. R. Hardin. The present membership of the church
      is 243, and of the Sunday school, 250. The auxiliary societies are: The Woman's
      Missionary, Juvenile Missionary, Home Parsonage Society, and Epworth League, all
      of which are well sustained. In 1900 revival services in the church resulted in
      102 conversions, and an addition to the church fifty members.
      --------------------------------------------
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~tngibson/Churches/goodhopemeth.htm

      The Good Hope Methodist Church



      Established in 1852 in the Currie Community
      submitted by Charles W. McCollum



      The History of The Good Hope Methodist Church

      In the year 1852 a group of Methodist people bought Mt. Carmel Church,
      which was located on the site of the present cemetery, from the Cumberland
      Presbyterians, and the Good Hope Church was organized.

      We find no records of the early organization and no record of who
      served the church as its first pastor.
      In fact, we have no record of the church's pastors between 1852 and
      1874, but it is believed the church had several pastors during this period.

      First known pastor of the church, according to records, was Rev. M.M.
      Taylor who served in 1874 and 1875. Since that time the church has been
      served by forty-two other pastors. A list of these is found below.

      The building purchased from the Mt. Carmel people served the Methodist
      congregation until 1881. On August 12, that year, J.W. Overall gave
      the congregation a deed in one acre of land and a new church was erected on it.
      The building committee was composed of T.H. Fisher, Robert Dickson, John Page,
      George Timmons and Repps Knox. Mr. Knox was the longest survivor of this group.

      Feb. 28, 1888, J.J. Clay, of Georgia, gave the church a large Holy Bible.

      At the Methodist Conference in 1898, the church was put on the Dyer Circuit.

      In 1922, the 41-year-old church was badly in need of repair. The congregation
      decided to repair it and turn the building, which faced the West, around,
      since the old road that ran along the west side had been discontinued
      and a new road ran east of the church.

      The building committee selected for the job included J.T. Hall, Marvin Fisher,
      J.P. Robinson, J.R. Fisher, J.G. Nee, Mrs. Sallie Fisher, Mrs. Emma Young and
      Mrs. M.A. Pitt. First service was held in the remodeled church on the morning
      of June 11, 1922 by the pastor, Rev. J.M. Kendall, assisted by A.B. Davidson
      and Marvin Emerson. Rev. Kendall chose as his text, "It is Finished". Dinner
      was spread on the ground and in the afternoon Rev. O.C. Wrather preached.

      The first funeral service held in the newly remodeled church was that of the
      late Frank Judy on July 4, 1922.

      The first revival was held Sept 6-17, 1922, by Rev. Kendall and Rev. O.J.
      Smith, then of Ridgely. There were 60 conversions and 72 people joined the church.

      The church was dedicated May 29, 1927 and Rev. Kendall preached the dedication sermon.

      In 1944 the church was redecorated and two new Sunday School rooms were added upstairs.

      This church burned Feb. 2, 1946. Services were held in the Union Academy
      School Building while plans were made and a new church erected.

      The church was built under the supervision of Jim Green, Jesse Garner and Jesse Nee.
      The first service was held in the new church on Dec. 7, 1947. First funeral
      service was that of Leonard Robinson.

      In July, 1949, chairs were installed in the choir and a new piano was bought
      for the church. The pews and the present heating system were installed in 1951.

      The new church was dedicated August 26, 1951. Speakers for the dedication
      were Bishop W.T. Watkins, District Superintendent M.H. Stroud and Rev. R.E. Street, pastor.

      In April 1952, the Sunday School rooms were finished in the basement and the
      church was screened in June of that year.



      The following have served the church as pastor:

      Rev. M.M. Taylor..............................1874-75 Rev.J.T. Simmons...............1909-09

      Rev. Winstead.................................1876-77 Rev. T.S. Stratton................1910

      Rev. Sullivan....................................1878 Rev. T.C. Davis.............1911-12-13

      Rev. W.H. Evins..................................1879 Rev. A.W. Lassiter.......1914-15-16-17

      Rev. B.F. Peeples.......................1880-81-82-83 Rev. T.M. Wilkes............1918-19-20

      Rev. O.P. Parker.................................1884 Rev. W.A. Banks...................1921

      Rev. Winstead....................................1885 Rev. J.M. Kendall........1922-23-24-25

      Rev. S.F. Chambers...............................1886 Rev. O.J. Smith................1926-27

      Rev. Cook........................................1887 Rev. E.E. Spears..................1928

      Rev. J.C. Mauldin............................... 1888 Rev. W.A. Baker.............1929-30-31

      Rev. Medlin (1/2 term).......................... 1889 Rev. J.C. Cason...................1932

      Rev. Johnson(1/2 term)...........................1889 Rev. O.H. Latterty.......1933-34-35-36

      Rev. Graham......................................1890 Rev. W.T. Garner...............1937-38

      Rev. Fields......................................1891 Rev. M.S. McCaslin................1939

      Rev. Ward.....................................1892-93 Rev. J.C. Gilbert...........1940-41-42

      Rev. Naylor.............................1894-95-96-97 Rev. H.D. Weaver...............1943-44

      Rev. A.S. Taylor.................................1898 Rev. Boykins......................1945

      Rev. Maldon.................................1899-1900 Rev. C.O. Frey.................1946-47

      Rev. T.J. Simmons................................1901 Rev. W.M. Vaughn...............1948-49

      Rev. W.A. Donohue.............................1902-03 Rev. Chester Baker.............1950-51

      Rev. J.T. Carl................................1904-05 Rev. R.E. Street..................1951

      Rev. Fowler...................................1906-07

      The church operated up until 1998 at which time it no longer had enough people to
      keep it in operation. The building was then leased to the Mennonite people.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      Good Hope Methodist church is located on Currie Road, few miles southeast of Dyer.
      Good Hope cemetery is located at 36.048N, 89.044W

      From the above research, it may be that John McKinnon lived his last few years in
      Gibson Co and may be buried near the Good Hope Methodist Church. It is also possible that E.B. Graham was a
      Circuit Rider preacher and served several churches in the Gibson Co area, so Good Hope may not be the exact
      location Of John McKINNON's final resting place. However, this is very strong evidence that he (McKINNON) is most
      likley buired in Gibson County near a Methodist Church. vh 13 JUL 2007










      .


      Father: Alexander (Alec) H. McKinnon b: 2 MAR 1817 in N.C.
      Mother: Mary Ann "Polly" Muse b: 18 OCT 1821 in Moore Co, NC

      Marriage 1 Sarah (Sallie) E Atkins b: 18 SEP 1849 in Tn
      • Married: 24 DEC 1873 in Montezuma, McNairy Co, Tn 1
      Children
      1. Has Children Edgar Alonzo McKinnon b: 29 NOV 1874 in Montezuma (Chester Co), Tn
      2. Has No Children John Alexander McKinnon b: 22 JUN 1876 in Montezuma, McNary Co, Tn
      3. Has Children Arvell Bell McKinnon b: 21 MAY 1879 in Montezuma, McNary Co, Tn
      4. Has Children Mary Effie McKinnon b: 5 APR 1881 in Montezuma, McNary Co, Tn
      5. Has No Children Infant Son McKinnon b: 17 AUG 1883

      Marriage 2 Mary E. Martindale
      • Married: 22 APR 1885 in Henderson, Chester Co, Tn
      Children
      1. Has No Children Sarah Florence McKinnon b: 9 MAR 1886 in Henderson, Chester Co, Tn
      2. Has Children James Howard McKinnon b: 7 DEC 1888 in Henderson, Chester Co, Tn
      3. Has No Children Malisie Allie (Aunt Allie) McKinnon b: 11 APR 1889 in Henderson, Chester Co, Tn

      Sources:
      1. Abbrev: Marriages of McNairy Co TN 1861-1911, by R. Harold Cox, copyright 1989
        Note:
        Marriages of McNairy Co TN 1861-1911, by R. Harold Cox, copyright 1989