Name: Samuel Hinckley , Sr.
Birth: BEF 25 MAY 1589 in Tenterden, Kent, England
Birth: 25 MAY 1587 in Harrietsham, Kent, England
Death: 31 OCT 1662 in Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts
Christening: 25 MAY 1589 Saint Johns, Harrietsham, Kent, England
Christening: 25 MAY 1589 St Johns Church, Harrietsham,, England
Immigration: 1635 Massachusetts
Burial: Barnstable, Barnstable, Massachusetts
OVERALL: Samuel Hinkcley, children, and dates from 'Barnstable Families'
a reprint of the Amos Otis Papers in the Barnstable Patriot 1888
Will: 08 OCT 1662
In his will dated 8 Oct 1662, he gives his wife Bridget the use of his
house, a garden and some land; his two cows, Prosper and Thrivewell, and
'all the household stuff she brought with her.' His daughters Susannah,
Mary, Sarah and Elizabeth, are named and he gives to each of them and to
each of their children, one shilling each. As he had large property, the
presumption is that he had given a dower to each of his daughters at the
time of their marriage. He gives legacies to his grandchildren Samuel,
Thomas, Mary, Bathshea, children of his son Thomas, and to his grandsons
Samuel and Jonathan Cobb. His personal estate was apprised at 162 pounds
16 shillings, and he had a large real estate which he gave to his three
sons, Thomas, Samuel, and John.
Note: Came to Massachusetts aboard ship Hercules
He was a dissenter, though on 14 Mar 1734/1735, in order to escape out of his native country, he was obliged to swear that he 'conformed to the
order and discipline of the church' of England. In the spring of 1635
Nathania Tilden (who had purchased lands in Scituate), Samuel Hinckley,
John Lewis, and James Austin, of Tenterden, in the County of Kent, in
England, and several other families from that County, making a company of
102, counting men, women, children, and servants, resolved to emigrate to
New England. In the latter par of March they sailed from Sandwich in the
ship Hercules, 200 tons, Captain John Witherly. Samuel Hinckley brought
with him his wife Sarah and four children, and immediately after his
arrival in boston went to Scituate and built a house which Mr Lathrop
calls No. 19. Three of his fellow passengers also built house in that
town in the summer of 1635. The street on which they bult was called
Kent street. He continued to reside in Scituate till July 1640, when he
sold his house, farm, and meadows, and moved to Barnstable. He took
the freeman's oath in 1637 and appeared on records as a juror, a surveyor
of highways, and as one of the granters of the lands of Suckinesset.
As a church member he does not appear to have been intolerant. The fact
tha he was twice indicted for 'entertaining strangers,' indicates that he
belonged to the liberal party.
Samuel, in March 1635, set sail on the ship Hercules with his wife and 4 children and others to make a company of 102 bound for America. He settled first in Scituate, Massachusetts, with his family and built a home with Rev. John Lothrop called No. 19. About half of the 102 people who came to America with the Hinckleys first settled at Scituate and were followers of Rev. Lothrop. In 1640 the Hinckleys moved to Barnstable, where the family name is prominent to this day.
Check American Colonists in English Records. Records of Sandwich, Kent Yearbook C and D 1608-42 CA 4 Mar 1634.
Came across on Ship "Hercules". Sam'l of Tenterden and Sara his wife and Children Susan, Sara, Mary, & Elizab a kinswoman.
Will 8 October 1662 proved 4 March 1663.
BIOGRAPHY: HINCKLEY, SAMUEL- His English origins are shown by Elizabeth French,
"Genealogical Research in England-Hinckley," NEHGR 65:287, 314, 68:186).
He was of Tenterden, Kent, and came to New England in the Hercules in
March 1634/35, accompanied by his wife Sarah and four unnamed children.
He lived in Scituate, but apparently did not become a member of Lothrop's
church, for only his wife is shown as having joined, being recorded as
"Goody Hinckley" on 30 August 1635. They had a daughter Elizabeth
baptized at Scituate 6 September 1635 (NEHGR 9:281-82). Samuel became a freeman 2 January 1637/38, and on the same date he was a trial juror (PCR 1:74). On 4 December 1638 he was among several men of Scituate who were presented for receiving strangers into their houses without license from the government (PCR 1: 106). On 4 June 1639 he was a grandjuror (PCR 1:126). Since his son Samuel was baptized at Barnstable on 24 July 1642 (NEHGR 9:282), it would appear that he accompanied Lothrop in the move there. On 5 June 1644 he was a highway surveyor for Barnstable (PCR 2:72), a position he held many times, He dated his will 8 October 1662, proved 4 March 1662/63, and he named his wife Bridget (second wife, Bridget Bodfish); sons Thomas, Samuel, and John; daughters Susanna, Sarah, Mary, and Elizabeth; his son Thomas's children Samuel, Mary, Thomas, Bathsheba, and others unnamed; and Samuel and Jonathan Cobb, sons of his daughter Cobb; and he named son
BIOGRAPHY: Source: Plymouth Colony Its History & People 1620 - 1691 by Eugene Aubrey Stratton
Father: Robert Hinckley b: ABT 1537 in Harrietsham, Kent, England
Mother: Katherine Leese b: ABT 1551 in HARRIETSHAM,Kent,England
Sarah Soule b: 6 JUN 1600 in Hawkhurst, Kent, England c: 8 JUN 1600 in Hawkhurst, Kent, England
17 MAY 1617
in Hawkhurst, Kent, England
7 MAY 1617
- Susannah Hinckley b: ABT 6 NOV 1625 in Tenterden, County of Kent, England c: 6 NOV 1625 in Tenterden, Kent, England
- Sarah Hinckley b: ABT 22 NOV 1629 in Tenterden, Kent, England c: 22 NOV 1629 in Tenterden, Kent, England
- Mary Hinckley b: ABT 18 SEP 1631 in Tenterden, Kent, England
- Elizabeth Hinckley b: ABT 6 SEP 1635 in Scituate, Plymouth County, Massachusetts c: 6 SEP 1635 in Scituate, Massachusetts
- Samuel Hinckley b: 3 FEB 1637/38 in Scituate, Plymouth County, Massachusetts c: 4 FEB 1636/37 in Scituate, Massachusetts
- 12th child of Samuel Hinckley b: 1639 in Scituate, Plymouth County, Massachusetts
- 13th child of Samuel Hinckley , (twin) b: FEB 1640/41 in Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts
- 14th child of Samuel Hinckley , (twin) b: FEB 1640/41 in Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts
- Samuel Hinckley b: 24 JUL 1642 in Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts c: 24 JUL 1642 in Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts
- John Hinckley b: 24 MAY 1644 in Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts c: 7 DEC 1644 in Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts
- Samuel Hinckley b: 10 FEB 1637/38 in Scituate, Plymouth County, Massachusetts
- John Hinckley b: ABT 1 JUN 1634 in Tenterden, Kent, England c: 1 JUN 1634 in Tenterden, Kent, England
- Elizabeth Hinckley b: ABT 10 MAR 1632/33 in Tenterden, Kent, England
- Marie Hinckley b: ABT 23 MAR 1627/28 in Tenterden, Kent, England
- John Hinckley b: ABT 28 APR 1622 in Tenterden, Kent, England c: 28 APR 1622 in Tenterden, Kent, England
- Thomas Hinckley b: 1618 in Edgerton, England c: 19 MAR 1619/20 in Hawkhurst, Kent, England
Bridget ??? b: 1616 in Barnstable, Kent, England
15 DEC 1657
in Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts
15 DEC 1657