Name: John HILL
Given Name: John
Birth: 1735 in Antietam Creek, Prince Georges Co, MD 1
Death: 6 Jan 1803 in Loveland, Warren County, Ohio 1
Burial: Ramsey Cemetery, Loveland, Clermont Co, OH
John Hill served in the French and Indian War with the Frederick Co. Militia under Cap t. Elias Delashmutt 1757. He served in the Washington Co. Militia in 1776, during the Revolu tionary War. (Clements and Wright's, The Maryland Militia in the Revolutionary War, pt B ; p 237).
Change Date: 28 Aug 2003 at 11:12:43
John Hill lived in Antietam Creek, MD until 1780, when he moved to Surry (later Stokes ) County, North Carolina. 1790-1797, he bought and lived on a farm 4 miles from Salisbury, N C. In 1797 he emigrated to Newport, Cambell County, KY. In 1798 he moved to Loveland, Hamil ton (later Waren) County, Ohio, and bought a farm on which he lived until his death on Januar y 6, 1803, at age 68.
He is buried in the Hill Cemetery in Loveland. He and his family were devout Methodis t Episcopalians.
This information contributed by Ruthanne Hill Kallay
An interesting footnote from the Goshen Methodist Church records by a Rev. Francis McCormic k shows that John Hill's son Joseph and wife Rosamund, another son Phillip and wife Elizabeth , and Jane Easton (wife of his son Samuel) were members and leaders of the first Methodist Su nday School class in the Northwest Territory in 1798. (The wife of Rev. Francis McCormick wa s a sister of Jane Easton.)
~L.P. Hill, Jr.
Father: Henry HILL b: May 1693 in Charles County, Maryland
Mother: Ann TRUMAN b: 1699 in Maryland
Elizabeth BUHER b: 12 Jan 1744 in Antietam, Washington County, Maryland
in Antietam Chapel, Washington, Maryland 1
- John HILL Jr. b: 27 Jul 1762 in Washington County, Maryland
- Joseph HILL b: 1764 in Washington County, Maryland
- Jacob Henry HILL b: 27 Dec 1766 in Washington County, Maryland
- Phillip HILL b: 3 Feb 1769 in Washington County, Maryland
- Thomas HILL b: 29 Mar 1772 in Washington County, Maryland
- Elizabeth HILL b: 1774 in Washington County, Maryland
- Sarah HILL b: 1776 in Washington County, Maryland
- William (infant) HILL b: 12 May 1778 in Rowan County, North Carolina
- Samuel "Judge" HILL b: 2 Jul 1779 in Antietam, Frederick County, Maryland
- Benjamin HILL b: 2 Sep 1784 in Salisbury, North Carolina
- Title: John Hill, Son of Henry Hill of Frederick County, Maryland
Author: Lycergus Perry Hill, Jr.
- Title: Will of Henry Hill of Frederick, Maryland
Publication: Hall of Records, MD State Archives, Annapolis, MD