Name: James HEALD
Given Name: James
Birth: 1 Mar 1796 in Portwood, Brinnington, nr Stockport 1 2 3 4 5
Christening: 15 Apr 1796 St Mary, Stockport
Death: 26 Oct 1873 in Parr's Wood, Didsbury 1 2 4 5 6 7
Burial: 1873 Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire 2
_STAT: Never Married
Residence: 1825-1873 Parr's Wood, Didsbury (SJ856903)
Note: JH sold the mills at Portwood and Disley, and bought the estate of Parr's Wood. Later for a long time he shared the house with two sisters, Miss Maria and Miss Margaret. He remained a shareholder in many Manchester companies, and assisted in the reconstruction of the Manchester and Liverpool District Bank.
1 2 3 8 9
Religion: Methodist, local preacher 1
MP (Conservative) 1847-1852 Stockport 1 2 3 10 8 11
Defeated candidate Jul 1852 Stockport 11
Defeated candidate 2 Dec 1852 Oldham 12
Coat of Arms 1829 13 14 15
Organization: Wesleyan Missionary Society (treasurer) 1 2 6
Organization: Wesleyan Theological Institution (a founder) 6 8
Organization: Stockport Infirmary (treasurer) 16
Organization: Stockport Sunday School 17
Honours: Deputy-Lieutenant of the county of Lancaster 1 3
Will: 11 Jul 1867 Parr's Wood, Didsbury
Note: The house was left for Miss Margaret to live in for her remaining lifetime, then to pass to William Norris Heald, a nephew
Probate: 15 Dec 1873 Principal Registry
Portrait 1846 20
Memorial 1873 Methodist Chapel, Chapel-en-le-Frith 7
Memorial 1873 St Thomas Becket, Chapel-en-le-Frith 5
Memorial 1876 St Paul's Church, Parrs Wood, Didsbury 6 21 22
Change Date: 31 May 2002 at 11:47|
Father: James HEALD b: 1758
Mother: Lucy NORRIS b: 1760
- Title: Cyclopedia of Methodism
Publication: Philadelphia: 1876,1882
Text: HEALD, James -- of Parr's Wood, near Manchester, England, was born in 1796, and became one of the most influential and wealthy men in Methodism. He was a local preacher, taking his appointments punctually. His broad statesmanlike mode of setting forth any object he undertook to represent led the body to repose in the wisdom of his counsels, while his liberality was almost unbounded. The foreign missions drew forth his largest sympathies; for several years he was lay treasurer for the Wesleyan Missionary Society. At one time he represented the borough of Stockport in Parliament. He was deputy-lieutenant of the county of Lancaster. He died joyfully, trusting in his Almighty Saviour, aged seventy-seven."
- Title: Dictionary of National Biography: Heald, James: 1796-1873
Text: HEALD, JAMES (1796-1873), philanthropist, second son of James Heald of Brinnington and Disley, Cheshire, merchant, was born on 1 March 1790 at Portwood, near Stockport, was educated at Rochdale, and entered his father's business. His parents belonged to the Wesleyan body, but he contemplated taking orders in the church of England, and relinquished his work in order to stuy for that purpose. By the influence of an uncle, however, he rejoined the Wesleyans, and continued for a time a partner with his father. He became very wealthy, and in 1825 he removed to Parr's Wood, near Manchester, where he resided until his death. In the latter part of his life he was not actively engaged in business, but greatly assisted in the reconstruction of the Manchester and Liverpool District Bank, and was a shareholder in many Manchester companies. At the general election of 1847 he was returned in the conservative interest for Stockport, his colleague being Richard Cobden. After declaring himself in favour of free trade, he was unseated in 1852. Heald was extremely charitable. He contributed largely towards various Wesleyan institutions, he was treasurer of the Wesleyan Missionary society, and the most prominent layman in this connexion. He frequently preached. In Stockport the infirmary, of which he was treasurer at the time of his death, was founded and largely maintained by him.
Heald died unmarried at Parr's Wood on 26 Oct. 1873, and was buried in the churchyard at Chapel-en-le-Frith in Derbyshire. Sir Joseph Napier, the lawyer, described his character as a rare combination of evangelical earnestness and wise moderation.
[Methodist Recorder, 14 Nov. 1873; Manchester Examiner, 29 Oct 1873; Walford's County Families.] W.A.J.A.
- Title: Walford's County Families: Heald, James
Text: HEALD, James, Esq., of Parr's Wood, Lancashire.
Second son of the late James Heald, Esq., Merchant, or Brinnington and Disley, co. Chester; b.1796. Is a Magistrate for co. Chester, and a J.P. and D.L. for co. Lancaster; was M.P. for Stockport 1847-52 -- Parr's Wood, Didsbury, Manchester.
- Title: Research by David Norris Heald of Woodford, Cheshire and James Richard (Dick) Heald
Publication: letter, May 1989
- Title: Memorial to James Heald, St Thomas Becket church, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Publication: Transcription by Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group, p. 138
Text: Sited in the chancel south wall, high above the choir stalls to the right of the door. A white marble sculpture, mounted on a black slate base, both of which are arched at the top. The white marble sculpture is of a 'portrait' of JAMES HEALD with slender side pillars supporting the arched top. The mason's mark is on the slate base: WT Hale, 448 Edgware Road, London W.
PANEL BELOW BUST:
In loving remembance of JAMES HEALD J.P. D.L. who was born at Stockport, March 1 1796, and died at Parswood, Didsbury, Oct 26th 1873.
It pleased God to reveal his son in him in early youth, and through a long life he held fast the faith as it is in Jesus. His character was strongly marked. It exhibited in rare combination dutiful affection as a son, tenderness and wisdom as a brother and friend, and unflinching integrity and fidelity in the discharge of responsible and laborious public duties. He lived not unto himself as his numerous acts of unostentatious benevolence, for the good of the church and the world, bear witness. "He being dead yeat speaketh".
By his sisters E.H. & E.A.W.
- Title: Memorial Inscription in St Paul's Church, Parrs Wood, Didsbury (church erected in 1876 in memory of James Heald)
Text: To The Revered Memory of James Heald of Parr's Wood in this county.
Esquire, J.P., D.L. and sometime Member of Parliament for the Borough of Stockport. Who died 26th October 1873, aged 77 yrs.
He was one of the founders of the Wesleyan Theological Institution and General Treasurer of the Wesleyan Missionary Society and during more than half a century the strength energy and consistency of his character his large experience of affairs secular and ecclesiastical his sincerity purity and kindness of heart and life were all sacrificed to the Master's use and he very gladly devoted to the service of the Wesleyan Connexion his time property and influence. He was a man eminently just and actual and closely and habitually walked with God.
This tablet and the building in which it stands are erected to the glory of God and in loving remembrance of the above by his sister and nephew. M.H. and W.N.H. 1876.
- Title: Alabaster tablet inside Methodist chapel, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Publication: Transcription by Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group
Text: In Memory of / JAMES HEALD J.P. D.L. / of Parrs Wood, Didsbury nr. Manchester / who entered into rest October 26th 1873 / in the 78th year of his age. / His life exhibited unswerving devotion to Christ / and distinguished usefulness in the Church and in the world / throughout his long career. In public and private he ever acted as / a "Steward of the manifold grace of God". / This tablet is erected by the children of his sisters, E.H. and E.A.W. in affectionate / and grateful remembrance of one to whose wise counsel, loving sympathy, Holy example / and earnest prayers they are most deeply indebted. / "The righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance". Psalm CXII.6.
- Title: A History of Didsbury
Author: Ivor R. Million
Publication: Didsbury Civic Society & E.J. Morten (1969)
No account of Didsbury would be complete without reference to the Heald family of Parrs Wood. But first a word of caution: it is commonly thought in the district that this family is related to the proprietors of A. Heald Ltd, the well known firm of dairymen. In fact this is not so.
The Healds did not build Parrs Wood, the Georgian mansion which stands in the angle now formed by Kingsway and Parrs Wood Lane. It was erected at some time prior to the year 1795 by William Boardman, who was subsequently made bankrupt.
The great mansion house, probably known even then as Parrs Wood, was erected shortly before 1795 by William Boardman, who subsequently became bankrupt. At the end of the eighteenth century it was the property of Richard Atherton ffarington about whom little is known except that he was a relative of Joseph Farington RA, the artist, who died at Parrs Wood in 1821.
(p. 123 continued)
In 1825 it was purchased by James Heald.
Didsbury has had no resident more worthy than James Heald. Born in 1796 at Portwood, near Stockport, the second son of James Heald of Brinnington and Disley, he followed his father into the family business of cotton merchants. Although born into a Methodist family his early intention was to enter the ministry of the Church of England and he relinquished his commercial interests to devote himself to study for that purpose. However, through the influence of an uncle, he returned to the Wesleyan fold and devoted himself enthusiastically to its interests. He was treasurer of the Wesleyan Missionary Society, and one of the original trustees of the Methodist Training College, for which the building which now houses the Didsbury College of Education was erected. Indeed it was probably he who suggested Didsbury as the home of the college, which stood within easy walking distance of his home. In his day he was, and has been described as, themost prominent layman in the Methodist connexion. He was the founder of the Stockport Infirmary, which he liberally endowed, and was a pioneer of the Sunday school movement in the north of England. The Didsbury Wesleyan Methodist Day and Sunday School was built with funds which he largely provided.
The year 1842 saw an important addition to Didsbury's educational establishments. The centenary of Wesleyan methodism occurred in 1839. To commemorate the occasion a large centenary fund was instituted, from the proceeds of which the large house on Wilmslow Road, formerly known as the Pump House, was purchased by thirty two trustees in 1841. Wings were added at both sides, thus making a U-shaped building, and the entire edifice was faced with stone. At a later stage another wing was added, this giving the building, which we now know as the Didsbury College of Education, its present appearance.
On its completion, in 1842, the building was used as a college for the preparation of candidates for the Wesleyan ministry, much to the annoyance of Rev. Kidd [C of E] ! ... There can be little doubt that the selection of the site for the college was at the instigation of James Heald. He himself was among the original trustees, as were also Rev. Bowers and Rev. Hannah [principal, theological tutor]. Very shortly afterwards he purchased the land at the rear for his own use.
Except for periods when it was used as a military hospital in both World Wars the college building continued to be used by the Methodists until 1951, when it was acquired by Manchester Corporation. As the Didsbury College of Education its future is assured as far as we can see into the future. Pupil teachers come from far beyond the boundaries of Manchester to study within its walls. The Wesleyan training college moved to Bristol where it still retains the name Didsbury College.
The [Methodist] school in Chapel Street was of course a Sunday school only. Weekday education could only be had by the Methodist children at the Didsbury Endowed national School where, it will be recalled, the religious principles of the Church of England had to be taught. This state of affairs was satisfactory to neither party. For the methodists the drawbacks were obvious and Rev. Kidd, who made no attempt to conceal his deep dislike for Methodism and all its works, allowed his criticism to reach the stage where he voiced objection to Methodist children attending the National School on weekdays and their own school on Sundays.
Consequently, on 28th September, 1860, the foundation stone of the Weseyan Methodist Day and Sunday School was laid on the site in Whitechapel Street. The building, which was largely financed by James Heald, was opened in May 1861, when thirty seven children presented themselves.
(p. 124, continued)
In 1847 [James Heald] was returned to the House of Commons for Stockport as an Independent Conservative member, a rare banner for a Nonconformist to fight under in those days. In Parliament he found full scope for his philanthropic zeal. He was closely associated with Benjamin Disraeli in the latter's reforming policies, particularly in relation to the hours of employment for children, where, especially considering his own business interests, he had very advanced views. He was an enthusiast also for the improvement of industrial relations and the legal recognition of the trades unions. In those fields also he found a mighty ally in Disraeli. After only five very productive years he was unseated, in 1852, when he declared himself in favour of free trade.
He died at Parrs Wood on 20th October, 1873, and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire. After his death Sir Joseph Napier described his character as a rare combination of evangelical earnestness and wise moderation.
He was survived by his devoted sister, Margaret. Parrs Wood and its estates he left to his nephew, William Norris Heald. Shortly after his death his sister and nephew erected St Paul's Methodist Church, in the grounds of the college, in his memory.
- Title: Letter to Stockport Advertiser
Author: T. Bruce
Publication: 28 July 1911
An advertisement saying that Parr's Wood, Didsbury, could accommodate residential visitors, having every modern convenience, brought to the writer bright memories -- pleasures for ever past. Parr's Wood was the late residence and beloved home of the late James Heald, Esq., at one time the Tory Democratic Member of Parliament for Stockport. His father had the Waterside Mills, Disley, and the "Happy Land" Mills, Portwood, and the family residence was where Derwent's shop is now. They were printers as well and their cloth used to be bleached in the fields at Grimesbottom. What changes since then! James Heald was brought up to commercial pursuits. After his father's death he gave up the mills, bought the Parr's Wood Estate, and retired there with his sisters, joined his wealth to the Manchester and Liverpool District Bank, devoted his talent and time to that line of commerce, and accumulated a great fortune. He was always ready to assist the deserving; strictly upright, generous to all if worthy, deeply religious and devoted to the Wesleyan Church. Parr's Wood was a reflex of a happy and Christian home; there always seemed to be a "Peace within its walls" of a high ideal, such as the writer has never felt or experienced elsewhere. For many years the family consisted of James Heald, Miss Maria and Miss Margaret Heald.
The writer became acquainted with James Heald when a pupil teacher at the Stockport British School. Little did he think then that in the years to come there would be a close acquaintance established between his own family and that of the Healds of Parr's Wood, but who can foretell what the woof of time will weave into our lives ? James Heald was earnest in all good causes to lift up his fellow-townsmen and earnest in freedom of trade, from whence came all his wealth. He said that trade ought to be as free as the air we breathe. He was orderly in his habits, and as to his home, the writer has never seen a home to excel the one at Parr's Wood and I have seen a few.
The first break in the family happiness was the passing away of Miss Maria Heald. It was a great loss to those who were left. James Heald lived some years after the death of his sister, and he made a will leaving as his heir William Heald, a nephew, so that Parr's Wood should for ever be a home for the Healds in the male line. He thought they would value it and follow in his footsteps. I wonder what he would think if he could revisit the spot he loved so well and see how his expectations have been fulfilled. He was seized suddenly one day with a stroke, from which it was impossible to recover; he bore his cross with Christian patience, and he caused to be written down to his own dictation what he wished done independent of what he had expressed in his Will... To his sister Margaret he left Parr's Wood and all appurtenances for life and £1000 a year to keep it up. James Heald would have left his sister Margaret all he had, but she would not have it, as she said she had enough of her own.
- Text: The borough of Stockport returned two MPs. From 1841-47 one of the MPs was Richard Cobden, the famous anti-corn-law campaigner. In 1847 Cobden was returned for both Stockport and the West Riding of Yorkshire, but chose to sit for the latter.
- Title: Cheshire Politics 1832-1974
Author: J. S. Morrill
Publication: Victoria History of the County of Chester, vol 2: Administrative and Parliamentary History, B. E. Harris (ed.), 1979
Text: ...In Stockport too, men already established as the economic and social leaders of the town sought to establish control... But the strength first of the anti-Corn Law League and then of the Chartists was too great for the local manufacturers, and 1847 saw the election of two Manchester textile printers, Richard Cobden and James Heald, the first occasion when a Cheshire constituency had returned two 'outsiders'.
...Before 1885 the nascent electoral organisation in most constituencies was essentially local and autonomous, and only sprang to life at election time. Although most MPs had principles which allowed contemporaries to clearly to identify them as Tories, Whigs, or Radicals, most of them attempted to disown such labels, and proclaimed themselves 'independents' in the 18th-century tradition... Thus in 1852 James Heald told the 'independent electors' of Stockport that he was 'a true independent tied to no party'. [Stockport Advertiser, 2 Apr 1852].
The notion of 'independence' compounded several meanings. It referred to the freedom of a candidate from dependency upon others. Just as, in the 18th century, candidates sponsored by the Grosvenors were said to be dependents of the house of Eaton, so candidates at Stockport often stressed their freedom from the corporate interest of the Manchester chamber of commerce. Secondly it meant the freedom to act in accordance with their conscience, rather than being bound by pledges given to the electorate. Several candidates stressed their role as representatives rather than delegates, and refused to be drawn on the burning issues of the moment, even though by taking sides they might gain the second votes of electors committed for or gaianst particular reforms... The word 'independent' also implied an intention to refuse any place in the government or at court which would bind a member to support the party in power.
...[The credibility of independence was] eroded from the 1850s, as the electorate increasingly demanded clear commitments from candidates, but was finally destroyed by the rise of party organisations. After 1850, particularly with the emergence of two or more newspapers in each of the parliamentary boroughs, candidates could not evade direct questions and pledges, particularly about religious questions and foreign policy.
...At the 1852 election in Stockport there was an outbreak of religious rioting involving the Irish Roman Catholic monority, and large church mobs which burned and demolished Catholic chapels. The Stockport Advertiser [2 July 1852] said that 'from the commencement of the election contest, ... there were no great political principles involved in the struggle, but ... the background was Protestantism and Popery', and alleged widespread intimidation of the electors, although the election day itself was the quietest on record, since the anti-corruption laws had kept all the alehouses and inns shut.
...All three candidates, the sitting members James Heald (Peelite) and James Kershaw (Whig), and J.B. Smith (President of the Manchester Chamber of Commerce), advocated similar programmes; all accepted the need to remove remaining restrictions on trade, all called for a general extension of education, all accepted the need to enlarge the suffrage. The only political difference was that Heald opposed the secret ballot. The election turned on religious issues, what Heald called 'the late aggression of Rome', and it was his campaign against the extension of Roman Catholic rights which caused the rioting described earlier. [Stockport Advertiser, Apr. to July, 1857].
- Text: JH was drafted in to contest what was presumably a bye-election in nearby Oldham, as a free-trade Tory candidate against a controversial radical Liberal MP. He lost however. An extract at http://www.bham.ac.uk/1848/document/bgrime.htm from "Memory Sketches" by Benjamin Grime (1887) tells of the chaotic scenes on election day, and says that he fled back to Parr's Wood before the official declaration, never to return.
- Title: Letter from the Richmond Herald of the College of Arms
Text: ... a Grant of Arms was made in 1829 to James Heald of Parr's Wood in the Parish of Manchester, second son of James Heald of Portwood in Brinnington and of Waterside in Disley, Cheshire for himself and the other descendants of his said father.
- Title: Burke's Landed Gentry
Text: Arms -- Quarterly gu. and az. in the first and fourth quarters, an eagle with wings elevated or., in the second and third a fret of the last all over, a fesse arg. thereon between two crosses patée a rose of the first barbed and seeded ppr.
Crest -- Upon a mount vert a bundle of arrows fesswise, the points towards the dexter ppr., bound gu., thereupon an eagle with wings elevated erminois, in the beak a sprig of oak also ppr., the dexter claw resting on cross patée, as in the arms.
Motto -- Mea gloria crux.
- Title: Tapestry of Coat of Arms, surrounded by birds
Made by JH's sisters
- Title: Stockport White Directory
Publication: extract, http://www.workhouses.co.uk/stockport.htm
Text: "Stockport Union Workhouse ...
The Infirmary is a handsome brick structure fronted with freestone, pleasantly situated on a healthy site on the Wellington Road South. The building is 100 ft in length. The principal entrance consists of a portico supported by 4 fluted Doric columns. The fever wards are so arranged as to be entirely separated from any other part of the building. The first stone of the noble structure was laid on the 18th June, 1832, & it was completed & opened in the following year. The first annual meeting was held on the 19th March, 1834. The entire cost of this Samaritan institution was upwards of £5300, raised by voluntary contributions. Amongst those who munificiently contributed towards its erection were: ...
The Right Hon. Frances Maria Warren, Lady Vernon, £250;
William Andrews esq, £100;
W Egerton esq, £150;
James Heald esq, £200;
The Misses Heald, £250;
Joseph Lane esq, £100;
James Leech esq, £100;
Thomas Marsland esq, £150;
Miss Oxford, £100;
Francis Phillips esq, £200;
William Thornhill esq, £100;
Besides several others, & the proceeds of a ladies' bazaar, which produced the sum of £873. ...
Patron: The Right Hon.Lord Vernon.
President: W T Egerton esq.
Treasurer: J Heald esq.
Deputy Treasurers: Messrs James Leech & John Carlile.
Hon Secretary: Mr S W Wilkinson. ..."
- Title: History of the Stockport Sunday School
Text: On the 22nd of October, 1823, the tenth anniversary of the Stockport AuxiliaryBible Society was held in the Large Room of the school. Of this movement the jointsecretaries were the Rev. Melvile Horne, the Rev. N. K. Pugsley (Hanover Chapel), and James Heald. A Bible Association had for some years existed in the Stockport Sunday School, and in the Report for 1824 its work is summed up in the totals of 1903 Bibles and 910 Testaments which had been distributed. ...
The Bible Society held its annual meeting on March 14th, 1832, in the Large
Room, where the Rev. N. K. Pugsley stated that the Society, since its establishment in 1813, had distributed in the town and neighbourhood over 16,000 copies of the Bible. James Heald, Esq., occupied the chair. ...
1849. The next event of impotance being a concert, held on January 15th, 1849,
at which James Heald, Esq., then M.P. for the borough, and most of the Corporation were present. ...
Friday, June 15th, 1855. The Grand Tea Party. Such was the interest excited,
not only in the school, but in the town generally, by the approach of the tea party, that 1,270 tickets had been disposed of amongst the teachers and subscribers of one guinea or upwards to the Jubilee Fund. ... The Secretary read a letter from James Heald, Esq., of Parr's Wood, who approved of the object, and gave £25. ...
On Wednesday, August 8th, an anti-slavery meeting was held in the Large Room.
The chair was occupied by James Heald, Esq. The meeting was called for the purpose of forming an Anti-Slavery society in Stockport. ...
1873. The death roll this year numbered, amongst others, Mr. James Heald of
Parrs Wood, son of one of the original trustees, whose names appear in the deed of 1805.
- Text: Executors: William Norris Heald of Brook House, nr Soalt, LAN (nephew); James Wood of Liverpool (nephew); Thomas Walton Head of Liverpool, Public Accountant.
Named:Margaret Heald (sister), Alfred Heald now residing in Hulme in the service of Messieurs Kershaw, Sidebottom and Borry of Manchester, merchants; George James Heald (nephew); Elizabeth Holy (sister); Eliza Agnes Wood (sister); Ann Davenport (niece); Lucy Matthews (late niece); Dr Peter Wood (borther-in-law); James Wood; Peter Frederick Wood; James Smith Sutcliffe, husband of Lucy Heald Sutcliffe (niece); Edward Holden, husband of Maria Elizabeth Holden (niece); Elizabeth Armitage, widow, daughter of Esther Crompton (late aunt); Sarah Sowerbutts, another dau of Esther; William Walmsley (coachman)
Bequests to many charities
Heirlooms: the Bible presented by the Burgesses of Oldham; the Silver Plate presented by the Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company, the Manchester --- Company, and my late nephew Daniel Burton Mouncey respectively; and the silver trowels presented to me on various public occasions and all other plate or plated goods which shall be in about or belonging to my said mansion house at the time of my decease.
Witnesses: T. Percival Bunting, solicitor; Saml Bradbury, clerk, Messrs Bunting & Unwin, solicitors, Manchester.
Codicil (11 July 1867)
witnesses: T. Percival Bunting, solicitor; Eleazar Aaron Lowe, butler, Parrs Wood
Codicil (11 Oct 1873)
witnesses: Robert Ockleston, surgeon, Cheadle; William Jackson, Wesleyan minister, Didsbury College.
- Title: Portrait of James Heald
- Title: Engraving of James Heald
Text: Published July 14th 1846 for the Ladies Missionary Repository, and J. Stephenson & Co, 46 King Street, Manchester.
- Title: Personal Communication
Author: David Norris Heald
Publication: May 12th 1989
Text: St Paul's Church still stands - in the grounds of the Training College, and is in good structural repair. Alas when I passed a little while ago I saw a notice saying the church was in the hands of developers. When I enquired I was told that it is a listed building, but in no way could the congregation, approx 30 people, find money to finance the upkeep of the building. William Norris and Margaret would be very sad to know what was happening to their beautiful memorial building.
- Title: "Eyewitness in Manchester", Feature from Didsbury, Dec 1998
Text: From the bridge on Parrs Wood road over the disused railway line, there's a nice view over the rooftops towards St Paul's Chapel, built in 1877. [Image, with an impressive spire] The church was converted into offices, now headquarters of the prestigious PR company BDHBWA.