Name: Prudence Rowlett
Birth: ABT 1765
Death: BEF 16 AUG 1842
Fact 2: 18 OCT 1824 Qualified in Prince Edward Co., VA as administratrix of husband's estate with Thompson Penick, Wm HOLT, John F. HUDSON, Thomas RICHARDSON.
Family Topic W
WILLIAM WORSHAM I (—c.1658)
Before 1640 young William Worsham I arrived in the colony of Virginia and purchased 200 acres of land from Seth Ward . The land was on the Appomattox River at Old Town Creek and was probably where he established his home. William married Elizabeth — . Her last name may have been Littleberry since Littleberry’s were living in the neighborhood and she named one of her sons “Littlebury.” William’s brother George Worsham lived nearby. George was justice of the peace for Henrico in 1656.
William was a county commissioner of Charles City County 1 April 1657/8. He and Elizabeth were the parents of four children: John Sr. [W.1], Charles [W.2], Elizabeth [W.3], Mary [W.4], and William Worsham II [W.5].
The elder William Worsham died young, probably in the late 1650s. Elizabeth then married Francis Epes II (c.1628 — 1678). He was the son of Francis Epes I. who was in the colony in 1625. A patent issued to the elder Epes on 26 August 1635, stated that the land granted to him was for the “personal adventure” of himself and for the transportation of his sons John Epes, Francis Epes, and Thomas Epes, and thirty others. One servant was George Archer [A]. Francis had a son Francis Epes III from a previous marriage.
The children of Elizabeth and Francis were William Epes, Littlebury Epes, and Mary Epes. Elizabeth died in Henrico County in 1678 [28 Aug 1678 / 1 Oct 1678 ].
John Worsham Sr. [W.1]
John Worsham Sr. was the son of John and Elizabeth (—) Worsham of Henrico (now Chesterfield) County, Virginia. He was born on his father’s plantation on Old Town Creek, probably in the early 1650s.
John married Phoebe — probably before 1680 although her name did not appear in any records until 1691, when she witnessed an agreement by Martha Stratton.
In 1679 John Worsham was living in the community of Bermuda Hundred. Nearby was his stepbrother Francis Epes III, his step brother-in-law Richard Kennon [W.3/S], Martin Elam, Thomas Sheppey [7046.2.2], Edward Stratton II [S.1], Joseph Royall, and Mrs. Isham. It was here that John and Phoebe Worsham probably reared their ten children.
John was a prominent man in the county and an influential merchant in Bermuda Hundred. In 1685 they appointed him a justice, a position he held for many years. In 1698 and 1697, he served as sheriff and was a captain in the militia. Consequently he spent much time at Varina, the county seat.
John served as security for many people and witnessed many wills, suggesting that many highly respected him. One will he witnessed was that of Maj. William Ligon Sr. .
Of interest are court records of 1696. Phoebe had witnessed the will of Gilbert Elam I a few years earlier. When the will was to be proved, she was unable to come to the court house because she was “great with child.” The child was probably Ann [W.1.8].
John Worsham acquired several large tracts of land. On 20 October 1691, with Edward Stratton II [S.1] and Abraham Womack, he obtained a patent for 879 acres on the north side of Swift Creek, next to Coldwater Run. Later, on 24 October 1701, with Francis Patram [S.2.1], he obtained 924 acres on the main fork of Proctors Creek. In 1703 with his stepbrother Capt. Francis Epes and sons, Isham Epes and Francis Epes Jr., his son-in-law minister George Robertson [W.1.6/S], his sister Elizabeth Kennon [W.3], Philip Jones, Martha Stratton [7046.2], James Hill  and George Archer II [A.1] patented 4,000 acres on the north side of the Appomattox River at the mouth of Winterpock Creek. In 1704 John was paying quit rents on 1,104 acres of land in Henrico County.
Phoebe Worsham died before 9 June 1729 when John Worsham, in his 70s, wrote his will. He died by October, when his will was proved in court.
In his will, John Sr. left his home plantation to his son John Jr. [W.1.1], except a small part that was to go to William [W.1.2]. If John Jr. died without heirs, the plantation would go to William. If he too died without heirs, it would go to the eldest daughter of his deceased son Daniel [W.1.3]. He left ten shillings to each of his daughters: Elizabeth Marshall [W.1.4], Frances Rowlett [W.1.5], Mary Robertson [W.1.6], Martha Ward [W.1.7], and Ann Osborne [W.1.8]. Ann also received “Negroes, Grace and Bowsar.” John Worsham Sr. mentioned also several of his grandchildren in his will.
Children of John and Phoebe (—) Worsham:
Capt. John Worsham Jr. [W.1.1] had land on Swift Creek and in Amelia County. He served as captain in the militia and on the vestry of Henrico Parish. By 1718 John married first Mary Wynne [14260.J2.3.2]. Some believe this Mary Wynne was the wife of John Worsham Sr.
Henrico County taxed Capt. John Worsham on 12 levies and 790 acres in 1736.
Worsham died in Chesterfield County [8 Dec 1751 ].
Joshua Worsham [W.1.1.1].
Thomas Worsham [W.1.1.2] inherited land on Swift Creek. Chesterfield County charged him on five tithables in 1756.
John Worsham [W.1.1.3] married Agnes Branch [66188.8.131.52]. Agnes was the daughter of Capt. Thomas Branch and Elizabeth Archer, and the widow of Edward Osborne Jr. [O.1.2.3].
Phoebe Worsham [W.1.1.4] wed Moses James. He died before 2 December 1757 when Chesterfield County granted Phoebe James administration of her deceased husband’s estate . On 18 June 1758, three Chesterfield County citizens valued his estate . Chesterfield County granted John Worsham administration of the estate of Phoebe James on 5 June 1767 .
Capt. William Worsham [W.1.2] (c.1678) married Mary Archer [A.1.7].
Daniel Worsham [W.1.3] (— c.1728) had land on the south side of the James River west of Rocky Branch and along Coldwater Run. Daniel married Judith Archer [A.5.4].
Elizabeth Worsham [W.1.4] (c.1676) married Thomas Ligon [1760.1].
After the death of her husband, Elizabeth married Alexander Marshall I (1676 — 3 May 1743), a leather tanner by trade . It was Elizabeth and her new husband who were caring for Lodowick Tanner [3522.1.3] in 1706.
Mr. Alexander Marshall received large grants of land in Henrico County. Marshall bought from Michell Mitchell his rights to a survey of 628 acres in Henrico County and applied to the Land Office for a patent. On April Fool’s Day of 1717, the Land Office issued the patent in the name of Michell, who had been dead a long time, and not in the name of Alexander Marshall. Marshall discovered the error and obtained a corrected patent in 1721.
On 7 January 1725/6, he secured a patent for 2,000 acres in the north side of Appomattox River, and on the south side of Butterwood Creek. This land fell later in Goochland. On 28 September 1730, he renewed his patent of 2,000 acres and obtained a patent on 1,000 additional acres . The Land Office issued a patent on another huge tract of 1,950 acres in 1731.
Alexander Marshall was a vestryman in Bristol Parish (1723 — 24). Henrico County taxed Marshall on six levies and 444 acres in 1736.
Alexander and his wife were buried on the left bank of the Appomattox River near its mouth, upon a highland that belonged to Richard Epes. In 1955 a double headstone was still standing there with the following inscription:
Mr. Alexander Marshall
who departed this life
May 3rd. 1743,
Aged 67 years.
Here lyeth the body of
Mrs. Elizabeth Marshall
who departed this life
Aged 67 years.
Children of Alexander and Elizabeth (Worsham) Ligon Marshall:
Alexander Marshall II [W.1.4.1] married Sarah Moseley [17184.108.40.206].
William Marshall [W.1.4.2] married first Anne — and had four children. The Bristol Parish Register held the birth dates of their eldest three children. William married second Phoebe Farmer, the daughter of John Farmer of Lunenburg County. His third wife was Lucy Green [G.2.4] the widow of Henry Clay [1848.5.2].
He had ten children living when he wrote his will [2 Oct 1768 / 27 Mar 1769] in Cumberland County. His eldest son Robert was already dead.
William devised to his son William Marshall [W.220.127.116.11] land that Alexander Marshall had entailed to him. Yet by right of primogeniture, it belonged to John Marshall [W.18.104.22.168], then the eldest living son. William Jr. relinquished the land to John in chancery court and in return John got the entail docked by Act of Assembly, sold it, and gave half the proceeds to William Marshall Jr.
Children of William and Anne (—) Marshall:
Robert Marshall [W.22.214.171.124] (23 Dec 1729 ) died before his father wrote his will in 1768.
Elizabeth Marshall [W.126.96.36.199] (13 Jul 1731 ).
Anne Marshall [W.188.8.131.52] (28 Jan 1733/4 ) married Capt. Abner Lockett [LO.2.1.4]. They moved from Powhatan to Mecklenburg County where they listed Abner head of a family of eight whites and six blacks in 1782. Abner died there [26 Nov 1789 / 8 Feb 1790]. He left his wife her third of his estate and asked his executors to keep his estate together until his youngest child Francis was twenty. They inventoried his estate 25 April 1790. As Ann Lockett she witnessed the will of Benjamin Pulliam with William Marshall and Lucy Marshall in 1792. Anne married second Joseph Gooch of Granville County, North Carolina, in Mecklenburg County 27 June 1794 , the same month they made their premarital agreement . In October 1804 the children of Abner Locket were in chancery court seeking the division of their father’s estate.
Thomas Lockett [W.184.108.40.206.1] married Susanna Blanks in Charlotte County 26 November 1799. Surety was Francis Lockett.
Francis Lockett [W.220.127.116.11.2] had guardian Thomas Lockett in 1799. He married his cousin Martha Goode Marshall [3318.104.22.168.4.2.4] in Mecklenburg County 8 March 1802 . He was living in Kentucky in 1821.
Phillip Lockett [W.22.214.171.124.3] had guardian Thomas Lockett in 1799.
Phoebe Lockett [W.126.96.36.199.4] married Scarbrough Penticost in Mecklenburg County 18 February 1790 . He died before 1821 when Dancy McGraw called her a widow when he wrote his will.
Nancy Lockett [W.188.8.131.52.5] had guardian William Marshall in 1792. She married Robert Hester in Mecklenburg County 28 February 1792 . Rev. James Read performed their wedding ceremony.
Lucy Lockett [W.184.108.40.206.6] married William Jones in Mecklenburg County 15 December 1801 . Rev. William Richards conducted their ceremony. They were living in Kentucky in 1821.
John Marshall [W.220.127.116.11].
Children of William and Phoebe (Farmer) Marshall:
Phoebe Marshall [W.18.104.22.168] married Dancey McGraw. Dancy died in Mecklenburg County [21 Sep 1821 / 15 Sep 1823]. His wife was already dead, he had no living children, and he left bequests to his brothers, many nephews and nieces, and their children.
Mary Marshall [W.22.214.171.124].
Tabitha Marshall [W.126.96.36.199] married Drury Williams in Cumberland County 26 March 1770 . He was the son of William Williams.
Sarah Marshall [W.188.8.131.52] married John Robards, son of William Robards of Goochland County. In 1805 as Sarah Robards she appointed her nephew Bennett Marshall her attorney to collect her inheritance from her father-in-law.
Martha Marshall [W.184.108.40.206].
Susanna Marshall [W.220.127.116.11] married Miles Hall [3618.104.22.168.2.1] in Mecklenburg County 4 May 1781 . Surety was Richard Winn. Dancy McGraw, Susanna’s brother-in-law and guardian consented.
Susanna married second George Royster in Mecklenburg County 7 August 1790.
Col. William Marshall [W.22.214.171.124] married Lucy Goode [33126.96.36.199.4.2].
Elizabeth Marshall [W.1.4.3] married John Todd.
John Marshall [W.1.4.4] died in 1770.
Francis Marshall [W.1.4.5] was living in Powhatan County in 1779.
Frances Worsham [W.1.5] married William Rowlett in Henrico County 12 October 1703 . He was the son of Peter Rowlett I of Henrico and the brother of Peter Rowlett who married second Mary Ligon [1760.5]. One William Rowlett was an Englishman in the service of John Sherman [3326.3] when Sherman wrote his will in Henrico County in 1686. Most Virginians of this period considered themselves English so we do not know why they emphasized that William Rowlett, the servant, was an Englishman. It may suggest that the servant was not identical to Frances’s husband who was born in the Colony.
William paid quit rents on 200 acres in Henrico County in 1704. Bristol Parish appointed William Rowlett a tobacco counter for plantations between Old Town and Swift Creeks in 1724. This was an important office that helped maintain tobacco prices by controlling production. William secured patents to 300 acres in Henrico County next to Francis Epes on the north side of the Appomattox River and the south side of Winterpock Creek in September 1730 and 400 acres on Beaverpond Branch in Prince George (later Amelia) County in April 1734. The Land Office issued a posthumous patent to William in September 1735 for another 400 acres on Beaverpond Branch. William Rowlett died in Henrico County [5 Jul 1734 / 5 May 1735].
William Rowlett [W.1.5.1] inherited his father’s plantation and half a 400-acre tract on Beaverpond Branch in Amelia County. This latter parcel was apparently the 200 acres William and John Rowlett, the executors of their father’s estate, sold to Joshua Glass in June 1738 via deeds of lease and release. In August 1739 in Prince George County, William successfully sued Glass for a debt .
He was probably the William Rowlett who married Mary (Clarke) Cooke, widow of William Cooke who died in Chesterfield County [10 Aug 1754 / 7 Feb 1755]. Chesterfield County charged William Rowlett with two tithables in 1747 and 1756. He was patroller in 1756.
Rowlett himself died before the September Court 1760 when Chesterfield granted Mary Rowlett administration of her late husband’s estate. Mary (Clarke) Cooke Rowlett died in Chesterfield County [19 Dec 1777 / 7 Feb 1778 ]. In her will she mentioned her children by her first husband and a son, Peter Rowlett, who was an executor with her friend George Markham.
Absent his will, we cannot identify all the children of William Rowlett. It is quite possible that Mary (Clarke) Cooke was his second wife and that William left children by his first. John Pride [1658.1] had a wife named Frances and named a son Rowlett. Possibly his wife, who we presume was Frances Rowlett, was a daughter of this William Rowlett [W.1.5.1] and the granddaughter of Frances Worsham [W.1.5].
Peter Rowlett [W.188.8.131.52] was living in Chesterfield County in a family of four whites and two blacks in 1783. He married Mary Lester (— 1788) on 3 February 1778 and Sarah Stringer (— 1835) in 1788 . Peter died in Chesterfield County [31 Jul 1821] at sixty-eight years of age. Peter, his two wives, and his daughter Phoebe are buried in a Rowlett family cemetery in Chesterfield County.
Children of Peter and Sarah (Lester) Rowlett:
William Rowlett [W.184.108.40.206.1] died unmarried in Chesterfield [20 Aug 1846].
Mary Rowlett [W.220.127.116.11.2] married Thomas Cheatham [1618.104.22.168.5] in Lunenburg County 21 November 1797 .
John Rowlett [W.22.214.171.124.3] married Rhoda — and died in Chesterfield [/1832].
Zachariah Rowlett [W.126.96.36.199.4] married Mary B. —, had two children, and died in Nottoway County [/6 Dec 1838].
Lucy Rowlett [W.188.8.131.52.5] married James Deaton about 1787. They had three children before he died in Chesterfield County [2 Feb 1826].
Children of Peter and Sarah (Stringer) Rowlett:
Phoebe Rowlett [W.184.108.40.206.6] (c.1796 — Oct 1826) married Lee Roy Hall in Chesterfield County 23 December 1814 .
Hannah Rowlett [W.220.127.116.11.7] married James C. Stringer in Chesterfield County 17 August 1815 .
Leonard Rowlett [W.18.104.22.168.8] married Obedience Wilkinson in Chesterfield County 24 February 1820 . She was the daughter of Samuel Wilkinson, deceased. Leonard was later in Rutherford County, Tennessee, where he married Susan Beasley on 2 January 1822. Susan and Leonard had eight children.
Susan W. Rowlett [W.22.214.171.124.9] married John Barr in Chesterfield County 20 January 1820 .
Sarah A. Rowlett [W.126.96.36.199.10] married Archibald Totty in Chesterfield County 27 April 1820 . Archibald died in Chesterfield County [27 Feb 1854].
James Daniel Rowlett [W.188.8.131.52.11] married first Susan Q. Hobbs in Chesterfield County 10 June 1833 . She was the daughter of John Hobbs. James married second Sarah L. — . He had nine children.
Catherine Rowlett [W.184.108.40.206.12] married Edward J. Robinson on 12 December 1825 .
John Rowlett [W.1.5.2] inherited the plantation he lived on and a parcel on Old Town Creek in Henrico County. He was probably identical to the John Rowlett who married probably Phoebe Willson [36220.127.116.11] and had land on Winterpock Creek.
Peter Rowlett [W.1.5.3] inherited two tracts of land on Beaverpond Branch in Amelia County: one of 400 acres and half another 400-acre tract he and William divided. This land was in Prince George County until the creation of Amelia County that listed Peter Rowlett among its tithables 1736-49. While in Amelia he served on several juries.
Peter Rowlett sold his Amelia County land in 1746-7. John Ellington Jr. [EL.2] bought 200 acres on 7 August 1746 for £33:10. Elizabeth — , wife of Peter Rowlett relinquished her dower right. Witnesses to the deed were John Clay [1848.4.3], Charles Clay Jr., and Sarah Clay. Rowlett sold William Crawley his remaining 400 acres for £150:5 on 16 January 1747/8. Elizabeth was possibly a sister of George Walton.
Peter and his wife were later in Lunenburg County. On 3 January 1749/50, Peter Rowlett’s male tithables were ordered to help George Walton clear a road . Elizabeth Rowlett witnessed a deed for George Walton to purchase land in December 1753 .
Peter Rowlett died in Lunenburg County in 1754 [11 Jan 1754 / 7 May 1754]. He identified three underage sons and implied he had two daughters, though he did not name them. Mackarness Goode and Philip Jones, the nominated executors, refused administration and the court granted Peter’s widow, Elizabeth, administration. In August 1756 the Land Office issued in the name of Peter Rowlett a posthumous patent to 825 acres in Lunenburg County on the Meherrin River next to Walton. Some Lunenburg Dissenters — including George Walton — sought to use the home of Peter Rowlett, deceased, for worship in December 1756 . The Waltons were Amelia County Dissenters.
William Rowlett [W.18.104.22.168], “son and heir at law to Peter Rowlett,” sold 280 acres to George Walton in November 1762. William named a son Matthew Jouett Rowlett and Amelia County records speak of a Matthew Jouett. He secured a judgement against Charles Weatherford in December 1743 and he was dead by August 1744 when John Moore, executor of his estate, pursued Weatherford for the judgement . Not until June 1745 did the suit go to trial. Nicholas Gillintine , jury foreman, reported they found for the defendant . Moore did not let the matter drop and brought the issue back to court — and later to Chancery Court . He was perhaps the Matthew Jouett who held land in Hanover County: 400 acres in April 1732; 1,474 acres in September 1732; 400 acres in June 1733; 1,140 acres on 27 January 1734/5; and 3,200 acres on 15 March 1735/6.
William was living in Lunenburg County when he and Sherwood Walton, a Baptist minister, appeared on a mortgage deed for Joseph Williams. Land that William inherited was partly in Charlotte County when they created it in 1756. William sold 340 acres in Charlotte in 1772 and was still in Charlotte in July 1779 when he sold 66 acres in Lunenburg County to Jeremiah Wilmuth. During August 1780 William Rowlett of Charlotte County bought 280 acres in Halifax County from Ambrose Hunt. In 1782 Halifax County listed William Rowlett head of a family of eight with eight slaves. Three years later he had still eight in the household. William Rowlett died in Halifax County in 1818.
Matthew Jouett Rowlett [W.22.214.171.124.1] married first Elizabeth Pettus in Lunenburg County 6 January 1794 . She was the daughter of David Pettus of Lunenburg County [1 Nov 1805 / 12 Dec 1805]. Matthew wed second Martha Pleasants in Halifax County 2 April 1807 . The father of two daughters, he died in Halifax County [9 Jan 1846].
Frances Rowlett [W.126.96.36.199.2] married Samuel Goode in Halifax County 29 May 1800 .
Elizabeth Jouett Rowlett [W.188.8.131.52.3] married Thomas Pettus in Halifax County 24 November 1803 . Peter Rowlett was surety and witness.
Duke W. Rowlett [W.184.108.40.206.4] married widow Nancy N. (—) Boxley in Halifax County 18 September 1818 .
Margaret Rowlett [W.220.127.116.11.5] married Larkin Hubbard, son of William Hubbard, in Halifax County 22 November 1824 .
Philip Rowlett [W.18.104.22.168] was in Prince Edward County until about 1809 when he moved to Hart County, Kentucky.
Peter Rowlett [W.22.214.171.124.1] died in Hart County, Kentucky.
Littleberry Rowlett [W.126.96.36.199.2] married Elizabeth Ayres, widow of Philip Moseley. They died in Hart County.
Judith Rowlett [W.188.8.131.52.3] married William Perry in Halifax County 6 April 1803 .
John Rowlett [W.184.108.40.206] had seven children most of whom moved to Williamson County, Tennessee. John died in Lunenburg County in 1813 [/24 Apr 1813].
Frances Rowlett [W.220.127.116.11] was living in Prince Edward County in 1762.
daughter Rowlett [W.18.104.22.168].
Daniel Rowlett [W.1.5.4] (10 Jun 1721 ).
Mary Worsham [W.1.6] married Rev. George Robertson I [1600.R1] who was born in Straun, Scotland, about 1662. An Anglican minister, Robertson had few opportunities in Scotland where Presbyterianism predominated so Dr. Compton, the Bishop of London, licensed Robertson as a Virginia missionary on 20 February 1692/3. Rev. Robertson was Bristol Parish Minister at Blandford from his arrival in America in 1693 until his death in 1739. Bristol Parish encompassed what later became Amelia County.
On 13 December 1703, Robertson bought 1,000 acres on the north side of the Appomattox River from William Byrd for £100 that would later belong to George II. By 1704 he was paying quit rents on 1,445 acres. On 8 September 1709, Robertson bought 180 acres on the south side of Swift Creek from Philip Jones. He would add a neighboring 340 acres on 1 May 1731. During 1711 he and George Worsham Sr. exchanged 125 acres at Winterpock for 41 acres Worsham had near Swift Creek.
On 1 March 1720/1, the Council granted Rev. Robertson 3,300 acres of land on Knibbs Creek and the beaver ponds of Flat Creek in Prince George (now Amelia) County. Robertson held patents for 599 acres on Flat Creek in 1727, 400 acres on Smacks Creek in 1727, and 3,039 acres on Flat Creek and Horsepen Branch in 1732. Admitted to record May 1721 was a deed by which Richard Herbert, Bullard Herbert, and James Powell Cocke conveyed property to George Robertson. The Reverend Mr. George Robinson paid on seven levies and 1,868 acres in Henrico County in 1736.
The family lived at “Picketts” near the mouth of Swift Creek on what is now Boydton Plank Road in Chesterfield County. These Robertson’s were the ancestors of many Robertson’s of Amelia County.
Several years before his death, the elder George Robertson conveyed to his son of the same name two tracts of land and fourteen slaves. One tract was “The Quarter” of 996 acres on the Appomattox River where his son was living and the other was 1,200 acres above Flat Creek in Amelia County. Admitted to record at the November Court 1739 was a deed by which George Willson [3698.1.3] conveyed property to “George Robertson, Clark [cleric].” Willson was a neighbor of the Robertsons and three of George Robertson’s children, John, James, and Elizabeth, witnessed a deed in Amelia County for Willson in 1741.
George died in Henrico County [/May 1740 ] leaving land in Amelia County to his son, John Robertson, of Chesterfield County. His son James Robertson was an executor.
George Robertson II [W.1.6.1] lived at “Picketts” and paid on nine levies in Henrico County in 1736. George Robertson died unmarried by November 1739 when Henrico court granted John Robertson administration of his estate.
John Robertson [W.1.6.2] witnessed a deed with his father in 1736 and with his brother in 1750. It was possibly this John Robertson who secured a patent to 400 acres in Henrico County 5 June 1746. A survey for John Skelton near Robertson’s neighbors identified his tract as near Middle Creek [of Swift Creek]. John Robertson paid taxes on twelve tithes in 1747 and nine tithes in 1756. James Deaton was listed in his home in 1747. John Robertson sold a 220-acre portion of his inheritance to George Hancock of Cumberland County in 1762 . He paid taxes in Amelia County beginning in 1738 through 1764. Robertson made good profit on a land purchase he made in 1746. He bought ¼ acre at “The Point” from William Kennon Jr. for £16 that he sold eleven years later to Richard Kennon for £130.
During May 1763 John Robertson and his wife, Sarah, gave two large tracts in present-day Mecklenburg County to their son, John Robertson. The smaller of the two tracts had belonged to Joseph Davis in 1759 and Robertson had bought the other tract from Philip Poindexter in November 1759. In 1764 John Robertson paid tax in Lunenburg County on 1,650 acres where Samuel Flowers was overseer.
John Robertson died in Chesterfield County 21 October 1765 [19 Oct 1765 / 6 Jun 1766 ] naming wife, Sarah —. He left a 400-acre tract of land in Amelia County to be shared between his grandsons John Robertson and John Walke. Though he allowed his daughter, Mary, to benefit from her son’s land until her death. Claiborne Anderson, George Robertson, and Benjamin Watkins examined estate accounts for 1767-69 on 5 October 1769. Archibald Cary and Benjamin Watkins approved accounts of 1769-72 on 4 September 1772. The latter report identified the deceased as Capt. John Robertson who was evidently identical to the John Robertson recommended as captain in Henrico County in September 1740.
Francis Osborne, Thomas Dance Jr., and George Cousins delivered the inventory of John’s estate. Francis Lockett was guardian to William, James, Betty, and Ann Robertson in October 1766 and Thomas Dance was the guardian of George, Elizabeth, William, and Nancy Robertson in August 1767 and August 1768. William was fourteen by 3 August 1770 when he chose George Hancock as his guardian and likewise, Ann Robertson chose George Robertson guardian 3 November 1775 .
Mary wanted to sell her life estate in her son’s portion so in December 1779 her brothers William and George released any interest to the property they could later claim .
William Robertson [W.22.214.171.124] inherited 600 acres in Amelia County and two lots in Town of Pocahontas. The lots were ones his father had bought from Richard Witton in 1751 and Christopher Martin in 1762 less the one he sold to George Jefferson 19 August 1762. William chose Francis Robertson his guardian in September 1769 and George Robertson in October 1771.
William married Elizabeth Branch Worsham in Amelia County 21 October 1777 . William Giles [1662.1.6/S] consented for “Betty.” In 1781 William Robertson and his wife, Elizabeth, of “Amelia County” sold all their land in Amelia County to John Robertson. John Booker and William Finney went to see Elizabeth in 1785 to inquire if she relinquished her dower right in the land . Amelia County listed William Robertson head of a family of five with nine slaves in 1782.
William died in Amelia County [27 Nov 1784 ] leaving three orphaned sons and they ordered his estate appraised 27 January 1785. John Robertson Jr. and William Robertson conveyed their interest to the dower lands of their mother — 88 acres — to their stepfather John Robertson Sr. [W.126.96.36.199] 16 October 1797 . Elizabeth married second John Robertson [W.188.8.131.52] in Amelia County 8 April 1786. The estate of William Robertson held still 500 acres in Amelia County in 1794.
John Robertson [W.184.108.40.206.1] as John Robertson Jr. paid taxes in 1800 in Amelia County and Chesterfield County. He was possibly the John Robertson Jr. who wed Elizabeth BOOKER [BK.220.127.116.11.5] in Amelia County 30 June 1803.
William Robertson [W.18.104.22.168.2], as William Robertson Jr., paid taxes in 1800 in Amelia County and in Chesterfield County.
Henry Worsham Robertson [W.22.214.171.124.3] married Susanna B. Ellison in Amelia County 24 September 1805. Edward Bass was surety.
George Robertson [W.126.96.36.199] inherited 600 acres in Amelia County. He married Nancy Anderson, daughter of John Anderson, in Amelia County 10 July 1779. In 1780 George Robertson Jr. and his wife, Nancy, sold 200 acres on the Appomattox River to John Ogilby [A.5.7.1]. Amelia County listed George Robertson head of a family of five with four slaves in 1782 and George Robertson of Chesterfield head of a family of six in 1785. George held 494 acres on the south side of the Appomattox River in 1794 and he paid taxes in 1800 in Amelia County and Chesterfield County.
Mary Robertson [W.188.8.131.52] married Thomas Walke. Amelia County listed Thomas Walke head of a family of one with four slaves in 1782.
John Walke [W.184.108.40.206.1] was a beneficiary of the 1765-will of his grandfather Robertson. It was likely he who wed Hannah (—) Finney in Amelia County 4 November 1789. James Robertson was security. His bride was the widow of William Finney. John and Hannah were in chancery court with a complaint against Richard Watkins, the administrator of the estate of William Finney in 1793.
Father: Unplaced Rowletts
John Penick b: 17 JAN 1758 in Prince Edward Co., VA
ABT 15 DEC 1783
in Prince Edward Co., VA
- Edward Penick b: 15 NOV 1784 in Prince Edward Co., VA
- Nancy Penick b: ABT 1786
- John M. Penick b: 7 SEP 1789 in Prince Edward Co., VA
- Judith Penick b: ABT 1791
- Jane Penick b: ABT 1794
- Mary Penick b: ABT 1796
- Thompson Penick b: ABT 1798