Name: Unplaced Mitchells
OVERTON: Mecklenburg Co., NC. marriages
12-22-1778 Benj. OVERTON md. Milly ATKINSON (dau. of Thomas)
3-30-1782 Thomas Purkins OVERTON md. Mary FORD (dau. of Christopher)
7-23-2789 Benj. OVERTON md. Elizabeth HUNDLEY (wonder of this is dau. of HANSLY in the John Overton will..Onslow Co.)
1, 1798 Moses OVERTON md. Hide BOOKER.
Christopher, Jacobus & Lurita Dennis (???) Moses Overton sec.
Clay, Tolbert & Nanney Harris, 7 Apr. 1805, John E. Harris sec.
A Susannah Mitchell md. a Wm. ROSSER and a Susannah Mitchell married a Repps MITCHELL. There are more marriages of a Susannah MITCHELL to these: John RAIN, Wm. BARRON, John GLASCOCK and a Wm. MATTHIS. No dates (under VA Marriages)
132. John Mitchell, born Abt. 1748 in Amelia County, Virginia; died in Edgefield County, South Carolina. He was the son of 264. James Mitchell and 265. Ann Cocke. He married 133. Elizabeth Forrest Bet. 1765 - 1769 in Amelia County, Virginia.
133. Elizabeth Forrest, born Abt. 1751 in Nottoway Parish, Nottoway County, Virginia; died in Edgefield County, South Carolina. She was the daughter of 266. Abraham Forrest, Jr. and 267. Judith Unknown.
Notes for John Mitchell:
24 Apr 1769. Amelia County, VA, Deed Book 11, p. 53. James MITCHELL and John MITCHELL and Elizabeth, his wife, to Bartley Baugh . . . 130 pounds . . . 224 acres both sides Elliss's Fork, adjoining Bartolomew Dupuy, Moses Overton, William Pulam, William Hurt, and Isaac Webb. Wit: Anderson MITCHELL, James Foster, Priscilla MITCHELL and James MITCHELL, Jr.
24 Oct 1769. Amelia County, VA, Deed Book 11, p. 66. Isaac Webb, Essex Co, VA to John MITCHELL . . . 100 pounds . . . 800 acres beginning William Echols corner on the road . . . crossing little Saylor Creek . . . Smith's line . . . Motley's corner. Wit: James MITCHELL, Barnit Gresham and John Gresham.
2 Mar 1770. Amelia County, VA, Deed Book 11, p. 127. John MITCHELL to Barley Baugh . . . 200 acres part of a tract John MITCHELL bought of Isaac Webb . . . Bartley Dupuy's line . . . John Jackson . . . William Hurt. Elizabeth MITCHELL, wife of John. Proved 24 May 1770 and Elizabeth relinquished her dower.
28 Nov 1771. Amelia County, VA, Deed Book 11, p. 334. John MITCHELL and Elizabeth, his wife, to James Cheatham . . . 90 pounds . . . land in Amelia county and Pr. Edward County . . . 300 acres on a branch of little Saylor Creek, adjoining William Renn, James MITCHELL, William Dickson, Shem Cook and William Caluate.
28 Aug 1772. Amelia County, VA, Deed Book 11, p. 523. James MITCHELL and John MITCHELL to Joseph Motley . . . 22 pounds . . . 2 acres and a mill, both sides little Saylor Creek.
25 Mar 1774. Amelia County, VA, Deed Book 12, p. 246. John MITCHELL witness a deed of James MITCHELL selling to Abraham FORREST . . . 68 pounds, 14 shillings . . . 229 acres in Amelia County.
1789. Edgefield District, SC, Deed Book 4, p. 253. John MITCHELL was in Edgefield Co, SC in 1789 when he witnessed a deed, date and month not given.
31 Aug 1804. Edgefield District, SC. Fuquay Beasley sold to John MITCHELL, 113 acres on a branch of Clouds Creek, bounded by Sion MITCHELL, part of a grant to Sion MITCHELL on 7 Jun 1790. Wit Sion MITCHELL and William Cary MITCHELL. Was this John a son of John MITCHELL above and did he marry Mr. Beasley's daughter? 4 Sep 1805, Fuquay Beasley sold to John MITCHELL a Mare, cow and calf, heifers, beds, etc. Wit Sion and William Cary MITCHELL.
1809, a Littleberry Mitchell bought 200 acres on Turkey Creek. Is this John Mitchell, Jr's son? Left a will in Edgefield Co dated 31 Dec 1816, probated 16 Jan 1817. Had a wife and four children.
8 Dec 1813, William C. Mitchell bought 60 acres on Clouds Creek. DB31, p. 536.
24 Dec 1813, Daniel Anderson Mitchell bought 60 acres on West Creek of Saluda R. Wit Sion and Abraham Mitchell. Bought an additional 100 acres on both sides West Creek on 21 March 1815, DB 32, p. 101 and 293. Sion witnessed the second deed.
8 August 1810, William C. Mitchell sold to Barshbay Mitchell a negro girl, 9 or 10, nanced Nancy, for $270. Was this his sister?
Will Book 2, p. 139, dated 31 Aug 1772, no probate date. James MITCHELL, sons-John, James, Daniel and William. Grandaughter-Sarah Anderson Hurt, daughter of Joel Hurt (under 18) He did not name a wife or duaghters. He left his sons land in Amelia Co. and Pr. Edward Co.
A number of Mitchell and Anderson families in Amelia Co, VA. Seems that quite a lot of the people who went to Edgefield Co, SC were earlier in Amelia, Lunenburg and Brunswick Counties, VA.
Sion Mitchell first appeart DB14, p. 389, 10 March 1797. He bought 200 acres on Clouds Creek from Richard and Mary Bush. John Mitchell was a witness. He would have been only 17 if he were born in 1770 so he must have been born earlier.
Children of John Mitchell and Elizabeth Forrest are:
i. Daniel Anderson Mitchell, died Bef. 19 October 1841 in Edgefield County, South Carolina; married Temperance Unknown Aft. 1821 in Edgefield County, South Carolina; born Abt. 1800 in South Carolina.
Notes for Daniel Anderson Mitchell:
3 Dec 1855. Petition filed for Joseph L. MITCHELL, about 15, and Henrietta MITCHELL, about 13, stated their father is dead, their mother Temperance MITCHELL, does not desire appointment and requested the appointment of their brother Daniel D. D. MITCHELL as their guardian. Approved, F. H. Wardlaw
19 Feb 1856. Guardianship Bond. Daniel D. D. MITCHELL, guardian of Henrietta MITCHELL, sureties, William C. MITCHELL, David Shelay, and Jno. W. Lee. Wit: James E. Lee. Similar document on behalf of Joseph L. MITCHELL.
ii. Elizabeth Mitchell, married David Bodie.
iii. Forrest Mitchell
iv. Mary Mitchell
v. Sion Mitchell, born Abt. 1775 in Virginia; died Bef. 22 December 1826 in Edgefield County, South Carolina.
Notes for Sion Mitchell:
Name of Estate Executor, etc Offic Apt. Pkg.
Mitchell, Sion D. A. Mitchell Admr 18 659
Payments made on this estate from 5 Jan 1827 to 20 Feb 1830,
totaling $914.62 ¾.
Payments made to:
Henry H. Hill
Wright Parmenter, Judgement
Wm. Thurmond, Sheriff
John Bauskitt ? (Bouknight?)
Jno. P. Bond
tax for year 1828
Bauskitt & Wallace
Appraisal of Estate 22 Dec 1826
by George Bower ?
John Baty ?
Wm. Zeigler ?
210 ? gal. still
barrels, jugs, forks, spoons
1 negro man Jeffrey
1 negro girl Janny ?
1 negro girl Tempy
1 negro woman Lucy
& 2 children Peggy and Tilman
1 negro boy Joe
1 negro woman Nelley
baskets, looms, meal bags, jugs,
5 churns, table, beds, chest, trunk
rifle barrel, shot gun
seed cotton, large bells, small bells, weeding hoes?, hand saws, plows,
club axes, beef hides, sheep skins and wool, sides of leather, cutting
box and knife, old gin head?, cotton in the field, wheat, corn
Value appr. $2575.00
Buyers at Sale:
Henry Harlans ? (or Herlong?)
John M. Bodie
Lewis Herlong ? (or Harlans?)
Milkan ? C. Smith
Wm. C. Mitchell
Danl. A. Mitchell
West ? Bodie
Joshua ? Warren
George Sluskman ?
H. H. Hill
Wm Ferkland ?
R. L. Smith
Wm. B. Zeigler
D. A. Mitchell
Total of sale $2545.94 ¾
Statement of Debts:
Expenses of administration
Phil Mcarty for crying sale
John Baty and Wm Zeigler, appraisers
Nathan Norris, Esq. Clerk of Sale and Qualifying Appraiser
for Spirits drunk at sale $13.75
Plank for coffin
Making coffin - John Hurtt
Council and advice of atty. $50.00
Judgement against the estate, viz.
the admin. of Jno. P. Bond, decd. $676.53
Wright Parmenter $15.11
John H. Effert
Kiah ? Bartley
Wm C. Mitchell ($624)
Eliz Riger ?
D. A. Mitchell ($22)
the admin of John P. Bonds, decd. $196.47
the exor. of Catherine Baty
George Bowers acct.
D. A. Mitchell ($16.25)
Abram Mitchell ap ? ($118)
John Mitchell ap ? ($8.60)
Jno. and Wm. C. Mitchell ($5.75)
Abraim Gosset ?
Drury Fort ?
Forest Mitchell ($64.87 ½)
John Lainsdon ?
left from the estate $1626.75
57 ½ cents on the dollar
John Williams, ap. transferred to Wm. Jones
Payments made to (among others, mostly same as list of creditors):
Wm C. Mitchell
D. A. Mitchell
Green B. Mitchell
Daniel A. Mitchell, Forest Mitchell and Wm. C. Mitchell bound unto John
Simkins Ordinary for $7000. 18 Dec 1826
Daniel A. Mitchell, Adms.
vi. John Mitchell, Jr., born Abt. 1777; married Nancy Hurt.
Notes for John Mitchell, Jr.:
Name of Estate Executor, etc Office Apt. Pkg.
Mitchell, John G. B. and Nancy Mitchell Admr 19 674
Sion Mitchell 26 Feb 1826 acct
John Mitchell 4 Sep 1823 acct
Abraham Mitchell 8 Jan 1824 acct
James Mitchell 11 Aug 1823 acct
Fuqay Beasley 9 Jan 1807 note
Allen Mitchell 21 Apr 1823 note
Forest Mitchell 28 Dec 1827 note
Daniel A. Mitchell 2 Sep 1825 note
among estate was 7 slaves plus 2 slave children
Buyers at sale:
John M. Bodie
A. H. Rawls
Samuel Paqet ?
T. H. Simmons
G. B. Mitchell
W. C Mitchell
Paid May Webb share estate $502.06
Paid Elizabeth Bartley share estate $293.72
Paid Elizabeth Bartley share estate $84.94
Admr. Bond 6 Nov 1826
Green B. Mitchell, Nancy Mitchell, Wright Parmenter, John M. Langdon
(Landson?), Philip Mcarty, $750
Admr. Bond 4 Dec 1826
Green B. Mitchell, Nancy Mitchell, Wright Parmenter, John M. Langdon,
Forrest Mitchell, and William C. Mitchell
66 vii. Abraham Mitchell, born Abt. 1780 in Amelia County, Virginia; died Bef. 26 August 1848 in Edgefield District, South Carolina; married Mary (Polly) Unknown Abt. 1798.
viii. Sarah Mitchell, born Abt. 1780; died Bef. 1820; married John Bodie, Jr. Abt. 1802; died Bef. 1820.
ix. James Mitchell, born Bef. 1775; died Bef. 07 October 1845 in Edgefield County, South Carolina.
x. William Cary Mitchell, born 14 November 1784 in Amelia County, Virginia; died 06 November 1880 in Lexington District, South Carolina; married Sarah E. Unknown; born Abt. 1794; died 13 April 1836 in Lexington District, South Carolina (pleurisy).
- Whitehead Allied Mitchells
- Hooper Family Allied Mitchells
- William Mitchell b: ABT 1610
- Henry Mitchell b: ABT 1634 in Scotland
- William Mitchell b: ABT 1660
- Thomas Mitchell b: ABT 1675
- Ignatius Mitchell b: ABT 1680
- Thomas Mitchell b: ABT 1680
- Thomas Mitchell b: ABT 1685
- Hannah Mitchell b: ABT 1690
- Mary Mitchell b: ABT 1690
- Thomas Mitchell b: ABT 1695
- John Mitchell b: ABT 1700
- XY Mitchell b: ABT 1720
- Frances Mitchell b: ABT 1730
- Robert Mitchell b: ABT 1745
- Sarah Mitchell b: ABT 1750
- David Mitchell b: ABT 1755
- Elizabeth Mitchell b: ABT 1755
- Sarah Mitchell b: ABT 1755
- Archelaus Mitchell b: ABT 1760
- Barbara Mitchell b: ABT 1760
- Henry Mitchell b: ABT 1760
- Kneeley Mitchell b: ABT 1760
- Robert Mitchell b: ABT 1762
- John Mitchell b: ABT 1765
- Margaret Mitchell b: ABT 1765
- Mary Mitchell b: ABT 1765
- XY Mitchell b: ABT 1765
- Hannah Mitchell b: ABT 1767
- Ann Mitchell b: ABT 1770
- Elizabeth Mitchell b: ABT 1770
- Charles Mitchell b: ABT 1775
- Margaret Mitchell b: ABT 1775
- Noah Mitchell b: 4 SEP 1778
- Frederick Mitchell b: ABT 1780
- Mourning Mitchell b: ABT 1780
- Rachel Mitchell b: ABT 1780
- Susannah Mitchell b: ABT 1780
- Thomas Mitchell b: ABT 1780
- Robert S. Mitchell b: ABT 1785
- Nancy Mitchell b: ABT 1789
- Amelia Mitchell b: ABT 1790
- Catherine Mitchell b: ABT 1790
- William Mitchell b: ABT 1790
- Mary Mitchell b: ABT 1791
- Sarah Mitchell b: ABT 1793
- Celia Mitchell b: ABT 1795
- Randolph Mitchell b: ABT 1796
- O. T. Mitchell b: ABT 1798
- Adam Mitchell b: ABT 1800
- Dawson Garrison Mitchell b: ABT 1800
- Peter Mitchell b: ABT 1800
- Richard Mitchell b: ABT 1800
- Mirine Mitchell b: ABT 1803
- Charles Mitchell b: ABT 1805
- Elizabeth Mitchell b: ABT 1805
- Elizabeth Mitchell b: ABT 1806
- Coleman L(Leath?). Mitchell b: ABT 1810
- Parthenia Mitchell b: ABT 1810
- D. C. Mitchell b: ABT 1815
- Major Mitchell b: ABT 1815
- Manilla Mitchell b: ABT 1820
- Solomon Mitchell b: ABT 1820
- James Mitchell b: ABT 1825
- Jesse Mitchell b: ABT 1825
- William M. Mitchell b: ABT 1825
- Susan Matilda Mitchell b: 28 MAR 1825 in Walton Co., GA
- Milton C. "Pinckney" Mitchell b: ABT 1827
- Mary A. Mitchell b: ABT 1830
- Ransom Mitchell b: 13 FEB 1832 in Wilkes Co., NC
- James Mitchell b: ABT 1835
- William L. Mitchell b: ABT 1835
- Thomas Mitchell b: ABT 1840
- Buck Mitchell b: ABT 1845
- Josiah Trotter Mitchell b: ABT 1845
- Sina E. Mitchell b: ABT 1848
- Nannie Mitchell b: ABT 1865
- Mary Elizabeth Mitchell b: 16 MAY 1866
- Nancy Mitchell b: ABT 1892
- Living Mitchell