Name: Mary Adkins
Birth: ABT 1735 in Henrico County, Virginia
Death: BET 1814 AND 1820 in Cabell County, (West) Virginia
Mary Adkins is the maternal ancestor of almost all Adkins descendants of Southwestern West Virginia. She is buried in an unmarked grave on Beech Fork at the mouth of Bowen's Creek.
With most family researchers her descendants make up the so-called "Royal Line." This term comes from the family oral tradition that Mary lived common law with a descendant of the Earl of Oxford. According to this tradition, he deserted Mary and her children during the Revolutionary War and returned to England. Because the family name of the person that held the title 'Earl of Oxford' during the mid 1700s was Harley it was assumed by almost all researchers that this man's name was Jacob Harley.
At least two male descendants have had Y DNA testing, but their results don't match at all, raising the possibility that Mary had children by more than one man.
Secondary sources list October 12, 1735 as date of birth. Although I have not been able to verify this directly, it coincides with a Henrico County record of William Adkins. Since William's wife is named as "Mary" in 1733, it appears that the current Mary was William's daughter by this second wife, rather than by Elizabeth Parker.
1) Beverley Fleet, Virginia Colonial Abstracts, Vol III - Henrico County-Southside, 1736: (John Nash, Henrico Sheriff, Acct Book) "Will'm Akin. Dr. 3 Levys. 230 acres. Store Debt. Pd by Inspectors at Warwick and by cash pd in store. 1736." "Wm. Atkins. Dr. 1736. 1 Levy. Mr. Cary's debt. "To 1 Register to J. Worsham" - meaning the register of a birth prior to 1736, prob. in 1735. Pd by the Inspector at Warwick."
2) Ronnie Adkins "Adkins, Land of York, Surrey County, England to Beech Fork, Wayne County, West Virginia" Montgomery, AL, pp 4, 6
3) Paul Ketchum, Baltimore, MD, 7 Dec 1995 on VA-Roots website: "It is not known to who Mary married or even if she married, however she bore and raised six children. Family oral tradition is that Mary lived common law with a descendant of the Earl of Oxford. It further states that he deserted her during or just prior to the Revolutionary War and returned to England."
4) Family Tree DNA Y Search User ID: P87S8 (descendant of David Adkins, Mary's son) Haplogroup: I (predicted Y haplogroup = I2b (formerly known as I1c))
5) Family Tree DNA Y Search User ID: E6C92 (descendant of Alfred Parker Adkins of Trace Fork of Mud River in West Virginia)
Father: William Adkins b: BEF 1695 in Virginia?
Mother: Mary ? b: BEF 1719
- David Adkins b: ABT 1754 in Halifax County, Virgina
- Christina Adkins b: 05 JAN 1759 in Halifax County, Virgina
- Jacob Adkins b: BEF 1760 in Halifax County, Virgina
- Sherwood Adkins b: 02 MAR 1765 in Halifax County, Virgina
- Nancy Adkins b: BEF 1770 in Virginia