Name: James Philander PATTESON
Given Name: James Philander
Birth: 09 Jun 1795 in Virginia
Death: 26 Nov 1862
Patteson or Pattison or Patterson.
According to a letter from L.C. Patteson to Margaret Smithson in 1941, the Patteson family was of Scotch-Irish descent.
Most information about progeny of James Patteson, Henry Patteson, William Henry Patteson and Lena May Patteson in this gedcom is from private genealogy notes written by my aunt, Ruth Virginia Miller, ca. 1940-1970.
Genealogical table from Phyllis Anne Bransford July 2003 gives
James Patterson b: 9 Jun 1795, m: 5 Nov 1816 to Sally Bransford b: 5 Jul 1796
Additional information from Alice Rupe: middle name.
1850 US census Virginia, Greenbrier Co., District 18, Household 987 (image 146/208)
James P. Pattison, 53, Farmer
Sarah W. Pattison, 52
Henry Pattison, 31, Farmer
James G. Pattison, 29, Farmer
Wm. C. Pattison, 25, Farmer
Robt. Pattison, 20, Farmer
G. W. Patterson, 18, Farmer
Sarah E. Patterson,11
(Note variable spelling; no money value of real estate listed).
Jno.?, ?? Pattison, 21
Sarah A. Pattison, 18
1850 US census, Virginia, Greenbrier Co., District 18:
William Pattison, 54, Farmer, $1000
Elizabeth Pattison, 41
John H. Pattison, 18
Margaret Pattison, 16
Martha I?. Patterson, 14
Almira patterson, 12
Thomas Patterson, 9
Jane Patterson, 7
Sarah E. Patterson, 5
Ruth Patterson, 2
Mary I?. E. Patterson, 1
[Note change of surname within household.]
[Also found in 1860 census under name Wm. Patterson.]
1860 US census, Virginia, Nicholas Co., P.O. Nicholas Court House, 20 Jun 1860:
James P. Patterson Sr., 64, Farmer, $1500, $2000
Sallie W., 63, wife
Jnv. B, 31, M, Farmer
Sarah S., 25, F, Farmer's wife
Joice, 48, F, Domestic
Charles Carnifax, 2, M
[All born Virginia]
Next Door: 1860 US census, Virginia, Nicholas Co., P.O. Nicholas Court House, 20 Jun 1860:
W. C. Patterson, 35, Farmer, $100m $180
Mary E., 25, wife
Allice M., 8, F,
Alexander, 5, M,
James B., 1, M.
[All born VA]
grandparents of James Patteson might possibly be James Patteson and Mary Nelson: Richard Crums married: 1 Apr 1774, Chesterfield County, Virginia. Richard married Sarah Patteson, daughter of James Patteson and Mary Nelson, on 1 Apr 1774 in Chesterfield County, Virginia 487. (Sarah Patteson was born about 1754 in Chesterfield County, Virginia.)
LUNENBURG COUNTY VIRGINIA WILLS 1746-1825 by Landon C. Bell, Part 2.
387. Patteson, Jonathan 3-19-1767; 5-12-1774; W.B. 2/410
Mentions: Wife: Elizabeth Patteson
Sons: Richard Patteson, Jonathan Patteson, David Patteson,
Charles Patteson, Samuel Patteson
Daughters: Francis Patteson, Martha Patteson, Sarah Patteson,
Executors: Elizabeth Patteson (wife), David Patteson,
Jonathan Patteson (sons)
Witnesses: James New, David (his X mark) Henry Christian.
Possible site with info about James Patteson that is unavailable currently is http://www.tngenweb.org/giles/war1812/index.html.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vaappoma/query000.htm (Sally Adams Allen email@example.com
I am researching the below Patteson family in Buckingham and Appomattox County and would appreciate any help particularly on James Patteson's parents and his wife's name.
1. James Patteson m. Sarah Unknown. James died c1824, Buckingham County Virginia. Children:
2. i Henry C. b. 1--Jan-1793. 2. Henry C. Patteson b. 1--Jan-1793, Buckingham county Virginia, m. 7-Dec-1839, in Cumberland, Mary Bransford, b. Dec 28 1807, Cumberland County VA, (daughter of Benjamin Bransford and Lucy Hatcher) d. Dec 31 1896, Lynchburg?, bur. Spring Hill Cemetery. Henry died 28-Feb 1859, Appomattox. Children: 3. i Lucy J. Patteson b. 1836, Appomattox. ii Mary Ann Patteson b. 6-Oct-1840. iii Judith Hatcher Patteson b. 1842. iv Benjamin Bransford Patteson b. 1844. v. John Hunt Patteson b. 1846, Appomattox. 3. Mary Ann Patteson b. 6-Oct-1840, Buckinghan Co. Va., m. 1-Dec-1859, in Appomattox County, Issac Holcomb Adams, b. 12-Aug-1837, Lynchburg Va, (son of Isaac Adams and Susan Elizabeth Duval) d. 11-Feb-1911, Lynchburg Va, bur. Spring Hill Cem.. Mary died 30-Apr-1902, Lynchburg Va, bur. Spring Hill Cem. Children: 4. i Issac Holcomb Jr b. 13-Oct-1860. 5. ii Henry Patteson b. 27-Dec-1862. 6. iii Mary Frances b. 23-Nov-1864. iv Sue Duval Adams b. 25-Aug-1866, Lynchburg. 7. v Richard Hill b. 14-Jul-1868. vi Ettie Lee Adams b. 12-Aug-1870, m. 3-Jun-1903, in Lynchburg, George L.Fleming. 8. vii Benjamin Bransford b. 25-Aug-1872. viii Sallie Adams b. 10-Jun-1875, Lynchburg. 9. ix John Carroll b. 25-Jun-1877. 10. x Tell Christian b. 7-Aug-1880. 11. xi Robert Patteson b. 21-Jan-1883.
"Most Wanted" James Philander PATTESON (no "R"), b. 1765 in Buckingham Co., VA., d. 1862 , Appomattox Co., VA. Who were his parents? Have wife, children, and some possible kin.
Subject: [VAAPPOMA-L] Burial Site
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:00:09 EDT
Can someone help, please?
Where were James Philander PATTESON and his wife, Sarah Woodson (BRANSFORD)
PATTESON buried? They both died in Appomattox Co. in 1862, while visiting
kinfolk. Can they be buried at the same location as brother-in-law
Henry C. PATTESON? Where was he buried?
They seem not to be buried in the Hix-Patteson grave yard.
Alice in FL
Possible parents from
James G. Patteson
father: David Patteson, b 22 Jul 1771 Wreck Island Creek, Bedford Co., VA, d 28 Jul 1859 Spout Spring, Appomattox Co., VA
mother: Sarah Ogelsby
Agnes, Martha Bradley, Lucinda, James G., William A., Malinda, Harriett W., Female.
Possible US census entry for James P. Patteson:
1830 US census, VA, Buckingham Co., Unknown Townships (image 48/90 ancestry.com)
James J. Patteson
White males: 3 (<5), 3 (5-10), 1 (30-40), 1 (60-70)
White females: 2 (5-10), 3 (10-15), 1 (20-30), 3 (30-40)
Slave males: 6 (<10), 1 (24-36), 1 (36-55)
Slave females: 5 (<10), 2 (24-36), 1 (36-55)
Total of 33 persons in household.
(Note difference in middle initial. However, ages of James and wife Sarah would have been in range 30-40, as observed.)
Father: John?? PATTERSON?? b: 2 Nov 1759 in Pennsylvania
Mother: Elizabeth?? CARAWAY?? b: abt 1773 in Virginia
Sarah Woodson BRANSFORD b: 05 Jul 1796 in Cumberland County, Virginia
- Lucy Anne Jane PATTESON b: 15 Sep 1817 in Buckingham, Virginia
- Henry PATTESON b: 25 Dec 1818 in Buckingham Co., VA
- Peter PATTESON b: 01 Sep 1822
- Robert Alexander PATTESON b: 22 Sep 1830 in Buckingham Co., VA
- Frederick PATTESON b: 8 Mar 1832 in Campbell Co., VA
- Sarah Elizabeth PATTESON b: 12 Aug 1834 in Cumberland Co., Virginia
- James Philander PATTESON b: abt 1825 in Buckingham Co., VA
- William C. PATTESON b: 1824 in Buckingham Co., VA
- John B. PATTESON b: 1829 in Buckingham Co., VA
- G. W. PATTERSON b: abt 1832