Name: * Samuel HOOD
Given Name: * Samuel
Birth: 15 Jun 1829 in Hookstown, Beaver Co., PA
Death: 21 Apr 1913 in Ft. Dodge, Ford Co., KS
Burial: 23 Apr 1913 West GAR Section, Maple Grove Cem., Ford Co., KS
Additional information on the Hood family.
Change Date: 22 Mar 2008 at 01:00:00
Samuel Hood was born 15 June 1829 at Hookstown, Beaver County Pennsylvania.1 He was the son of William Hood and Nancy Dean2 and moved with them to Meigs County, Ohio in 1838. He was married there on 16 April 1853 to Civilla Catherine "Billie" Allen.3 She was the daughter of James Allen4 and Mary Harkins5 and had been born 5 July 1833 in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania.6
Samuel enlisted 28 October 1861 at Meigs County in the 7th Independent Battery, Ohio Light Artillery.7 The muster rolls from that time until 31 October 1862 reported him present. He was left in the Hospital at Bolivar, Tennessee on 3 November 1862. In the next January and February muster rolls he was reported as being detailed as a nurse, and is reported as the same to 31 December 1863. On the September and October 1864 muster roll he was reported as on sick furlough since 14 October 1764. On the November and December muster roll he was stated to have gone to Columbus to be mustered out, where on 6 January 1865 he was mustered out at Tod Barricks, Columbus, Ohio.8 Samuel had been involved in engagements at Hatchie, Tennessee and the Siege of Corinth.9 His application stated he was 5' 8 1/2" tall, with a fair complexion, gray eyes and brown hair.10
After the war Samuel lived in Meigs County until about 1870. He then moved across the Ohio River to West Columbia, Mason County, West Virginia where he lived for seven years, when he moved to Gladbrook, Tama County, Iowa where he lived another seven years.11 By trade Samuel was a carpenter and cabinet maker. While in Gladbrook he operated Hood & Sons, a carpentry service.12 Although not mentioned in his pension application, the family was also in Grundy County, Iowa.13 At the time of the 1880 census, in addition to Samuel and son Edwin being listed in Tama County, the entire family, including Samuel and Edwin were also enumerated in Grundy County.
Samuel's next move was to Fort Dodge, Ford County, Kansas. His first wife died Fairview Township, Ford County on 2814/2915 May 1890. She was buried at Maple Grove Cemetery.16 He secondly married at Dodge City, Ford County to Annie (Garner)17 Berry18, the widow of Jackson Berry19 on 18 December 1890.20 She had been born 29 May 1858 in Shelby County, Indiana.
Samuel died 21 April 1913 at Fort Dodge.21 He was buried two days later22 beside his first wife in Maple Grove Cemetery.23 His second wife died in 1930 and was also buried at Maple Grove Cemetery.24
1. Declaration for Pension, 28 Nov. 1907, Samuel Hood (Private 7th Co., Ohio Independent Battery Light Artillery, Civil War), pension certificate 289,375, National Archives, Washington, D. C.
2. Nancy Decker death certificate, Ohio Death Certificates 1909, Cert. #15071, FHL microfilm 1,926,957 and Sarah Bell death certificate, Ohio Death Certificates 1913, Cert. #29955, FHL microfilm 1,953,648.
3. Meigs Co., Ohio marriage records 2:40, FHL microfilm 0,313,453.
4. Declaration for Original Pension of a mother, 16 April 1882 by Mary A. Allen, dependent mother of Harkins C. Allen (Co. C, 9th WV Vol. Inf.), pension certificate 238,047, National Archives, Washington, D. C.
5. "Franklin County Marriage Records (1802-1855)," Your Family Tree, Pennsylvania Genealogy and History, XV (Winter 1969): 22. States copied from History of the Presbyterian Churches of Path Valley, (1916).
6. Samuel Hood Bible, in 1977 in possession of Cora (Hood) Moore, Rapid City, SD.
7. Declaration for Pension, 28 Nov. 1907, Samuel Hood, Samuel Hood pension certificate 289,375..
8. War Department, Adjutant General's Office, 21 July 1883, Samuel Hood pension certificate 289,375.
9. Homer Spencer, Asst. Q. M., Kansas Soldier's Home, Fort Dodge Kansas to Mrs. F. H. Zimmerman, La Junta, Colorado, letter, 21 January 1944, privately held by Fredric Z. Saunders, Cottonwood Heights, UT, 2008.
10. Declaration for Pension, 28 Nov. 1907, Samuel Hood pension certificate 289,375.
11. Declaration for Pension, 28 Nov. 1907, Samuel Hood pension certificate 289,375.
12. History of Tama County, Iowa : Together With Sketches of Their Towns, Villages, and Townships, Educational , Civil, Military and Political History, Portraits of Prominent Persons, and Biographies of Representative Citizens, (Springfield, Illinois: Union Publishing Co., 1883), 943.
13. 1880 Grundy Co., Iowa census, p. 465B.
14. Declaration for Widow's Pension, 29 April 1913, Samuel Hood pension certificate 289,375.
15. Samuel Hood Affidavit, 1 Mar. 1898, Samuel Hood pension certificate 289,375.
16. Cavilla Hood headstone, Maple Grove Cemetery, Dodge City, Ford County, Kansas.
17. Samuel Hood Affidavit, 1 Mar. 1898, Samuel Hood pension certificate 289,375.
18. Samuel Hood Affidavit, 1 Mar. 1898, Samuel Hood pension certificate 289,375.
19. Declaration for Widow's Pension, 29 April 1913, Samuel Hood pension certificate 289,375.
20. Samuel Hood-Annie Berry Marriage Certificate, Samuel Hood pension certificate 289,375.
21. State of Kansas, State Board of Health, Division of Vital Statistics, Samuel Hood Death Certificate, Certificate number 39? 236.
22. Samuel Hood Death Certificate.
23. Samuel Hood headstone, Maple Grove Cemetery, Dodge City, Ford County, Kansas.
24. Annie Hood headstone, Maple Grove Cemetery, Dodge City, Ford County, Kansas.
Father: * William HOOD b: 14/15 Jul 1798 in Ireland
Mother: * Nancy DEAN b: 13 Jun 1802 in PA
* Civilla Catherine ALLEN b: 5 Jul 1833 in Huntingdon Co., PA
16 Apr 1853
in Meigs Co., OH
- Edwin Alonzo HOOD b: 26 Feb 1854 in West Columbia, Mason Co., WV
- Thomas Jerome "Romy" HOOD b: 21 Jan 1857 in Meigs Co., OH
- James Wesley HOOD b: 10 Apr 1858 in Meigs Co., OH
- William Presly HOOD b: 10 Apr 1858 in Meigs Co., OH
- Andrew Watson "Watt" HOOD b: 17 Aug 1859 in Meigs Co., OH
- * Mary Elizabeth "May" HOOD b: 16 Sep 1861 in Meigs Co., OH
- Bertha Augusta HOOD b: 24 Nov 1865 in Meigs Co., OH
- Homer Clayton HOOD b: 20 Aug 1867 in Meigs Co., OH
Annie GARNER b: 29 May 1858 in Shelby Co., IN
18 Dec 1890
in Ford Co., KS
- Cora Irena HOOD b: 5 Apr 1893 in Ft. Dodge, Ford Co., KS