Name: Richard LIGON 1
Birth: ABT 1666 in Henrico Co., Virginia
Death: 4 APR 1724 in Henrico Co., Virginia 1
Occupation: Surveyor of Henrico Co., Virginia. Including the 5000 Huguenot settlement at Manakin Town now in Powhatan Co. 2
Change Date: 17 JUL 2010
Richard Ligon (c.1666?1724) Richard Ligon, son of Col. Thomas Ligon Jr. and Mary Harris, was born about 1666 according to Henrico County, Virginia Colonial Records, Book 5, p. 450, 1 Dec 1693, deposition of Richard LYGON aged twenty-six or twenty-seven. He succeeded his father as surveyor of Henrico County and his name appeared often in court records related to his surveying duties.
Richard was the surveyor of the 5,000-acre Huguenot settlement at Manakin Town, now in Powhatan County. This settlement was for the French refugees who came to Virginia in 1700. In 1680 Henrico County paid Richard 550 pounds of tobacco to survey a new town to be built at Varina.
About 1703 William Byrd and Dudley Digges complained about Richard?s surveying and accused him of giving more land to several persons than their patents permitted them to have. They called him before the governor and the Council and suspended him. Richard was effectively out of business and attended two General Courts at his own expense trying to get his office back. The House of Burgesses concluded that losing his income for several months was sufficient punishment for Richard and returned him to his office in 1704.
Richard married Mary Worsham in Henrico County between 1678 and 1681. Mary was the daughter of William Worsham and his wife, Elizabeth. She was also the aunt of Elizabeth Worsham who married Thomas Ligon, Richard?s nephew.
Horse racing was a popular sport in Colonial Virginia and there were several race tracks. Betting on races was frequent. Bettors would even take their disputes to court. Some courts would refuse to hear such disputes as they considered gaming unlawful. Other courts would resolve disputes if the bets involved money, were written out, did not damage other people?s property, and were not destructive of public morality.
In July 1678 a horse belonging to Abraham Womack and ridden by Thomas Cocke was to run against a horse belonging to Richard Ligon and ridden by Joseph Tanner. Joseph was then a servant of Thomas Chamberlain, the husband of Elizabeth Stratton. The winner was to receive 300 pounds of tobacco. Abram Childers was the starter. The horses rushed from the starting line but Cocke?s horse shied from the track after running four or five lengths. Cocke quickly reined him in and cried out, ?This is not a fair start.? Chamberlain shouted to Joseph Tanner to stop but he did not. When Joseph returned, he declared that the race began fairly and he had won. Childers agreed but the parties took the matter to court.
In 1708 Thomas Chamberlain sued Richard Ligon regarding the outcome of a race. The loser was to pay the other forty shillings and pay for the gallon of rum provided for the enjoyment of the spectators. Chamberlain?s horse had won.
Courts were very rigid in how they upheld the terms of agreements. Here is a story that Richard Ligon and his sister Johan Hancock related for the court in 1683. Several men were at Abraham Womack?s house after a day of horse racing. Edward Hatcher Sr. proposed to race his horse against that of Edward Martin. The winner would get the other?s horse. All exclaimed loudly: ?Done, done,? except Richard Ligon who shouted, ?Mr. Edward Hatcher, my horse shall not run any more today or tonight.? Hatcher swore at Ligon and exclaimed that the horse was his, not Ligon?s. He at once led the animal off to a pasture that served as a race track. Ligon caught up with Hatcher as he was mounting and said again, ?Edward Hatcher, this is my horse, and he shall not run.?
Seeing Ligon?s determination, Hatcher turned to the judges and asked them not to hold him liable for the wager. Yet the judges refused to listen and watched as Edward Martin ran the race alone. They declared Martin the winner and awarded him Richard Ligon?s horse. Ligon still refused to give up his horse and the dispute found its way to the courts. The court strictly held Hatcher to his verbal contract though the action of Ligon made it impossible for him to perform his part.
They would make bets also on games of tenpins and various trivial matters. Once, about 1690, Richard Ligon bet Thomas East £5 sterling that before the end of June of the same year he could not determine how many cubic quarter-inches were in a ?one thousand-foot square solid.? If they could not agree on the answer then they would refer the matter to Col. William Byrd I and John Pleasants, a prominent Quaker, whose decision would be final.
On 25 June East correctly reported that the answer to the problem was 110,592,000,000,000. Richard refused to honor the wager so Thomas took him to court. The written wager witnessed by Joseph Tanner Sr., Henry Jordan, Samuel Oulson, and Edward Mosby was entered to the Henrico County court records. Both William Byrd and John Pleasants sent the court written depositions that Thomas?s answer was correct. Richard did not appear to defend himself. The court ordered a judgement against Ligon and directed the county sheriff to attach a sufficient portion of his estate to satisfy the judgement.
An attorney for Richard, John Everitt, then came to the court to argue that the wager also required Thomas determine how many cubic feet were in the ?solid.? Yet the court judged that Thomas had won the wager and ordered Richard to pay the £5 and pay court costs.
Richard?s name often appeared in the Henrico County court records not related to his surveying duties. At various times he was a plaintiff, defendant, witness, and juryman. Twice a grand jury indicted him for swearing, then a ?breach of the Penall Laws.?
In 1704 Richard was listed as holding 1,028 acres in Henrico County. He acquired some of this land by patents beginning in 1690. With Edward Hill, Hugh Ligon, and Samuel Newman, he secured a patent for 292 acres in Bristol Parish in April 1690. On 24 April 1703, this land was regranted to Henry Mayes. In October 1690 he, Samuel Tatum, and William Temple applied for a patent for 1,022 acres in Charles City County south of the Appomattox River on Warwick Swamp. Yet this patent was never issued. On 29 April 1693, Richard Ligon and James Aiken Jr. secured a patent for 285 acres on the head of Proctors Creek. In 1704 Ligon and Aiken divided this land and in 1717 Ligon sold Aiken 142 acres of his portion.
Ligon added to his Proctors Creek holdings with a 308-acre purchase from John Worsham and Francis Patram in June 1703.
Richard, called the ?Indian Fighter,? passed away in 1724. Surviving court records show his executor and son, Matthew Ligon, presented Richard?s will 2 March 1723/4 but the original will was destroyed along with other wills and deeds of Henrico County of this period. Abraham Womack Sr., Robert Elam, and John Knibb appraised Richard?s estate for £30:3:3.
Children of Richard and Mary (Worsham) Ligon:
Matthew Ligon (c.1682-1764), the son of Richard Ligon and Mary Worsham, wed Elizabeth Anderson. She was sister of Matthew Anderson Jr. (will dated 25 Feb. 1717/8, proved 19 June 1718) who left ?one Indian boy? to his sister ?Elizabeth Liggon.?
Henrico County taxed Matthew Ligon on two levies and 250 acres in 1736. He lived in that part of Henrico that became Chesterfield County where they taxed him on five tithables there in 1756.
Matthew Ligon acquired land in Goochland County in an area that became Cumberland County in 1749 and later Powhatan County. Matthew and Richard Ligon together sold 297 acres on the south side of Swift Creek to Richard Grills for £14 in July 1710. In 1719 he and his brother Richard obtained a patent for 290 acres on the south side of Swift Creek. In October 1728 Matthew sold a 100-acre plantation on Swift Creek to William Pride. Matthew alone patented 300 acres near Fine Creek in 1723 and 800 more acres south of the James River in 1731.
Matthew failed to settle the 300-acre tract and they issued a patent for this land to Francis Epes of Henrico County 13 October 1727. Matthew still wanted the land so, on 17 November 1729, he bought it from Epes for £20. Matthew sold this 300-acre land to his son Richard for £5 on 18 June 1742.
In 1710 Matthew served one year as a constable of Henrico County before resigning. He was also a tobacco counter in 1724 and 1725 with Alexander Marshall. Alexander was married to Matthew?s cousin Elizabeth Worsham. Matthew Ligon died in Cumberland County in 1764 (will dated 1 April 1764 , proved 24 Sept. 1764). He and Elizabeth were the parents of seven children.
Richard LIGON was born in 1657 in Henrico County, Virginia. He died in 1724 in Henrico County, Virginia. Received from Estate of Mr. Tho. LYGON (his father): 1 heifer called by the name of the brinder heifer. Colonial Records of Henrico County., Book 4, Orphans
Court 1677-1739, P. 3, dated 20 AUG 1678
Known as "Indian Fighter".
He was married to Mary WORSHAM (daughter of William WORSHAM and Elizabeth LITTLEBERRY) before 1 APR 1681.
Virginia Land Patents - 1656-1780
1693 Richard LIGON, Land Patent Vol 8, Pg 304 - 285 Acres in Henrico Co., Accurately located at West Longitude 77.507/North latitude 37.37.4 (XWBASS??) mouth of Poplar Branch of Swift Creek. Near John WORSHAM?s line and Ed STRATTON?s line. Head of Coldwater Run.
Arthur Moseley II inherited 300 acres of land from his father. In 1704 was paying quit rents this tract plus the 150-acre Stratton purchase ? a total of 450 acres. Arthur was granted 500 acres at Butterwood Swamp on 16 April 1715 and 400 acres on the north side of Swift Creek and the east side of Tomahawk Creek on 9 July 1724. His wife?s uncle Richard Ligon had surveyed the 500-acre tract for Moseley. Moseley failed to pay quit rents on the 500 acres and they issued a patent on his ?lapsed land? to his son Arthur Moseley Jr. and Samuel Hancock.
Father: Thomas LIGON b: BEF 11 JAN 1624 in Sowe, Warwickshire, England
Mother: Mary HARRIS b: ABT 1625 in Henrico Co., Virginia
Mary WORSHAM b: abt 1658/1659 in Henrico Co., Virginia
AFT 20 AUG 1678
in Henrico Co., Virginia
- Matthew LIGON b: bet 1680/1685 in Henrico Co., Virginia
- Henry LIGON b: ABT 1690
- Sarah LIGON b: ABT 1692
- Mary LIGON b: ABT 1694
- Type: Book
Author: William D. LIGON
Periodical: The Ligon Family and Connections
Text: Richard LIGON, ?Indian Fighter?, died 1724, and left a will, but the book of Wills and Deeds of this period in Henrico Co., VA was destroyed. Only the Minute Book records the fact, and we have to judge from circumstantial evidence the list of heirs. Minute Book 1719/24, p.318, March Court 1723, the last will and testament of Richard LIGON, deceased, presented in court by Mathew LIGON, his executor. Appraisement of the estate of Richard LIGON, deceased, 4 Apr 1724, by Abraham WOMACK, Robert ELAM, John SWIFT. Sworn to by Francis EPES. Mathew LIGON presneted this inventory 6 Apr 1724.
Richard LIGON married on ore before 1 Apr 1680, Mary WORSHAM, daughter of William and Elizabeth (----) WORSHAM. The Extracts from the Records of Henrico Co. by William G. STANARD, page 65 and 164 confirm this marriage. The Virginia Historical Magazine, Vol. 33, pp 185-186, states that Mary LIGON, wife of Richard LIGON, was the daughter of William and Elizabeth WORSHAM, and also sets forth that William and George WORSHAM, probably brothers, had a grant of 400 acres at Old Town on the Appomattox River and Old Town Creek, which William WORSHAME purchased from Seth WARD in 1640. William WORSHAM came to Virginia in or before 1640, and died in 1661. He married Elizabeth (surname not known, and who married 2nd Col. Francis EPES), and had issue: Capt. John WORSHAM, died 1719; Charles WORSHAM, d. 1719; Mary WORSHAM, m. Richard LIGON; and Elizabeth WORSHAM, m. Richard KENNON.
Date: 14 NOV 2008
- Type: Web Site
Text: Sarah Hancock wed Arthur Moseley II of Henrico between 1688-1689. Arthur Moseley I was married to Sarah?s aunt Sarah Hancock.
Arthur II was born in about 1655 and, on 16 May 1692, he was described as a ?sworn Leather sealer? in Henrico County. A ?leather sealer? was one who attached an official mark or seal to leather as evidence of quality and ?sworn? was one who had taken a formal oath of profession. We can conclude therefore that Moseley was an official leather inspector.
On 1 February 1690/1 Edward Stratton [S.1] sold Arthur Moseley 150 acres on the south side of the James River next to Abraham Womack and Gilbert Elam for £25.
Arthur appeared next in the records on Henrico County when he helped inventory the estate of William Hudson in 1701.
Moseley inherited 300 acres of land from his father. In 1704 was paying quit rents this tract plus the 150-acre Stratton purchase ? a total of 450 acres. Arthur was granted 500 acres at Butterwood Swamp on 16 April 1715 and 400 acres on the north side of Swift Creek and the east side of Tomahawk Creek on 9 July 1724. His wife?s uncle Richard Ligon [3520.3] had surveyed the 500-acre tract for Moseley. Moseley failed to pay quit rents on the 500 acres and they issued a patent on his ?lapsed land? to his son Arthur Moseley Jr. [35184.108.40.206] and Samuel Hancock [3520.2.4/S].
Moseley was involved in numerous other land transactions in Henrico County. He and Henry Farmer bought 308 acres from John Worsham and Francis Patram that they divided in 1709. Abraham Bayley sold Arthur 1?2 acre on the north side of the James River. Arthur bought 275 acres on a branch of Swift Creek from Richard Grills in 1716. He then sold James Akin 150 acres ? part of the 275-acre Grill purchase ? in 1726. On 7 August 1727 Arthur Moseley sold 75 acres ? part had belonged to his father-in-law and part where his son Arthur lived ? to William Cheatham .
In June 1728 Moseley sold a 1?2-acre lot in the Town of Bermuda to William Worsham Jr.
Sarah was alive when her mother made her will in August 1726 but was dead when her husband wrote his February 1729/30.
Arthur died in Henrico County about 1729 (will dated 22 Feb. 1728/9 , proved 6 July 1730). He left 1,425 acres to his sons. Michael Turpin, John Allday, and Phoebe Giles witnessed his will.
* Moseley, Chesterfield County, was named for Arthur Moseley family
The town of Moseley, Virginia, is near Swift Creek where the descendants of Arthur Moseley lived and we presume they named it for this family.
Arthur Moseley III (- 13 Oct. 1736) appeared first in the records of Henrico County in 1716 when he witnessed a deed for John Elam. In 1720 as Arthur Moseley Jr., he witnessed the will of Thomas Cheatham .
Arthur married Martha Cocke in Henrico County. With Samuel Hancock, he obtained a patent to 500 acres that had been his father?s. They sold 100 acres of this tract to Thomas Lockett in 1726. Arthur alone secured a patent to 400 acres in Henrico (later Goochland, now Powhatan) County in August 1725. In June 1730 he renewed this patent and added 800 acres in Goochland on the north side of the Appomattox River.
When his father died in 1730, Arthur inherited 300 acres and part of Redwater Mill.
Robert Beasley sold 100 acres on the south side of Proctors Creek next to Robert Hancock to Arthur Moseley Jr. for £15 in 1726. In January 1731/2 William Bass sold Moseley 100 acres on the south side of the James River on Cattail Run. In June 1733 Moseley sold part of the land he and Samuel Hancock owned on Redwater Run to Bass for £25 and Samuel conveyed neighboring parcels to Moseley for £50.
Arthur Moseley bought 420 acres on Butterwood Creek from Thomas Lockett 15 October 1734. The deed reported that Lockett had purchased the tract in 1730 from Arthur Moseley and Samuel Branch. Samuel Hancock sold to Arthur Moseley his 200-acre portion of their 500-acre patent in 1736 for £24.
Henrico County taxed Capt. Arthur Moseley on seven levies and 900 acres in 1736. The acreage was likely comprised of his inheritance (300 acres), the Hancock patent (500 acres) that he eventually held in full, less the Lockett sale (100 acres), plus the Beasley (100 acres) and Bass (100 acres) purchases.
The Virginia Gazette reported in its 15 October 1736 edition that, ?We hear from Henrico County that Captain Arthur Moseley was returning from the Courthouse the last court day, his horse unfortunately threw him and gave him a mortal wound, of which he died on the spot.?
Arthur?s will (will dated 10 July 1735 , proved Feb. 1736/7) named his wife and seven children. In it he devised 2,900 acres and an interest in Redwater Mill to his six sons and divided his library of books among them. To his only daughter, then called Sarah Edwards, he left one cow and calf. They recorded the inventory of his estate May 1737.
In March 1738 Martha Moseley conveyed property ? likely land or slaves ? to her sons, John, Thomas, and Benjamin. The next year three sons ? Arthur, Richard, and William ? secured a patent to 900 acres known by the name of ?Butterwood Swamp? that encompassed land belonging to their father.
Arthur Moseley IV was on a tithable list in Southam Parish in 1747 and added
to his substantial inherited land holdings with a patent for 394 acres on the Slate River in December 1749. Moseley conveyed land to William Robertson Jr. via a deed recorded in Henrico County May Court 1744.
Arthur Moseley of Cumberland County bought 222 acres on the Slate River in Albemarle County from Thomas Turpin in 1750. In 1756 Arthur secured a patent to 2,274 acres in Albemarle County on both sides of the Slate River. He bought other land in Albemarle from Daniel Ford in 1751. About 1,000 acres was land he acquired by grant or purchase, including the Turpin purchase, and the remainder was new land.
Arthur Moseley died in Cumberland County about 1770 (will dated 16 Dec. 1769 , proved 23 July 1770). His widow, Mary, conveyed slaves to her son Edward in October 1788. Some consider Mary the daughter of Thomas Lockett of Cumberland County.
Powhatan County enumerated the estate of Arthur Moseley with four whites and seventeen blacks in 1783.
Not until 1793 was Arthur?s estate divide among his then living children: John, Arthur, Charles, and William Moseley and Giles Fuqua. Edward Moseley and the estates of Benjamin Moseley and Arthur Branch got cash.
Benjamin Moseley married Amy Giles [16220.127.116.11] in Amelia County 29 April (bond) 1782.
Maj. William Moseley (- 28 Sept. 1808) sold the land he inherited in Chesterfield County in 1778 and moved to Powhatan County.
* Maj. William Moseley was a soldier of the Revolution
He was probably the Capt. William Moseley (-1808) whose infantry company fought at Trenton and Brandywine. This Capt. Moseley was wounded at both these battles and captured at Charleston. Shipwrecked after his release, he ?endured many hardships? according to his widows? pension application Moseley was among the founders the Virginia Society of the Cincinnati.
It was undoubtedly this William Moseley who represented Powhatan County in the Virginia House of Delegates (1793-1803) and was its state treasurer. His wife was Ann Irvine (- 18 Feb. 1845) whom he married in Bedford County 1 December (bond) 1784. They had two children. The Richmond Enquirer ran his obituary in 7 October 1808.
* William Moseley was in the Virginia General Assembly
Arthur Moseley V, called ?Merchant? to distinguish him from cousins of the same name, married Martha Floyd according to the Charles City County will of her father Charles Floyd (will dated 27 Sept. 1768, proved 5 April 1769). He held land along Butterwood Creek in Powhatan County and lived near Genito Bridge. Arthur Moseley signed a petition in Powhatan County in 1777 renouncing allegiance to the king.
Powhatan County enumerated Arthur Moseley head of a household of twelve whites and fifteen blacks in 1783.
Arthur died in Powhatan County in 1797 (will dated July 1797 , proved 16 Aug. 1797).
Ann Moseley, daughter of Arthur Moseley, deceased, married Lewis Howell in Powhatan County 16 March (bond) 1808.
George Moseley inherited his father?s land in Charles City County ?where he now lives.?
Martha Moseley married William Woodfin in Powhatan County 29 September 1789. A slave killed Woodfin at ?Genito,? Powhatan County, 2 September 1797.
William Moseley inherited 500 acres on Butterwood Creek.
Charles Moseley (- Oct. 1809) married Charlotte Montague (13 Mar. 1783 - 12 Aug. 1848), daughter of John Montague, in Powhatan County 12 March 1801. They were later in South Carolina where they both died.
Arthur Moseley married Mary Moseley in Powhatan County 12 March (bond) 1798. Robert Moseley, possibly the father of the bride, was surety.
Susanna Moseley married Benjamin Watkins in Powhatan County 18 December (bond) 1799. Edward Moseley, Susanna?s guardian, consented. Both died in Madison County, Alabama.
Date: 14 NOV 2008