Name: Dorcas GARRETT
Birth: 12 APR 1775 in Warrior River, 96 District, South Carolina
Birth: 12 APR 1773 in South Carolina 1
Death: 25 AUG 1842 in Dean's Ferry, Blount Co., Alabama
Burial: Warrior Creek Baptist Church Cemetery, Laurens Co., South Carolina (buried beside her parents)
Burial: or Hudson Cemetery, Hanby Homesite, Locust Fork, Alabama
The Garrett Genealogy at Pendleton, South Carolina Society lists the following dates:
Birth: April 12, 1773
Married to Stephen Mullins: 1790
Between 1809 and 1823, they (Stephen and Dorcas) left Laurens Co., South Carolina. When Dorcas' mother's estate was being settled in 1823, Dorcas is listed as "faraway" and her share was mailed to her children:
Stephen Mullins, Jr., born February 4, 1791
James Garrett Mullins, born December 1, 1798
Diana Mullins, born January 15, 1802
Noden Mullins, born April 5, 1804
Elizabeth Mullins, born November 26, 1806
Mathew Mullins, born April 4, 1809
April 2, 1846 -- Annual settlement of Dorcus (spelled Darcus) Mullings Estate, Blount Co., Alabama, p. 182-3, lists Samuel Mullings, son of Darcus; Alexander Cooke, husband of Mary S. Mullings; John Gray, husband of Dinnah Gray (daughter of Dorcus); Gilbert Barton, husband of Mary Mullings (a/k/a Molly or Mauldin); Elizabeth Burks, daughter of Dorcas; John B. Hays, husband of Julia Mullings; Aaron Gurley, husband of Martha Gurley; and Gabriel Mullings, grandson.
The will also lists William Mullings, grandson of Dorcas; Hosea Mullings, son of Dorcus; Joseph Roberts, husband of Nancy Mullings, daughter of Dorcas.
Probate Minutes 1852-26, Book II, p. 182-83, on July 7, 1854: Alexander Cooke gives heirs of Dorcus Mullings as Samuel, Nancy, Mary, Hosea, Dinah, Maudlin, Elizabeth, Martha and Julia. Carroll Mullings was maker of heir list with Alexander Cooke.
In 1854, Gilbert Barton was referred to by the Probate Court of Blount Co., Alabama, as next of kin of "Dorcas Mullings deceased." He resided in Blountsville, Blount Co., Alabama.
Blount Co., Alabama Probate Minutes contain the following:
Dorcus Mullings Estate, 1837-1845, p. 126-132
Dorcus died without Will, 1845-1852, Book 2, p. 908
Alexander Cooke, Administrator, p. 295
Heirs listed on p. 295 as Aaron Gurley, Dinah Gray, Samuel G. Mullings, John D. Mullings, Gabriel Mullings, Wm. I. Mullings, Elizabeth Burks, Gilbert Barton, John B. Hays, Haya? Mullings (Hosa), Nancy Rogers.
Father: Edward GARRETT II
Mother: Anne West OWSLEY
Stephen D. MULLINGS b: 31 OCT 1760 in King William, Charlotte Co., Virginia
5 APR 1792
in 96 District, Laurens Co. (not created until 1795), South Carolina
- Note: Mrs. Rody Hughes (witness): According to Stephen G. Mullings application for pension, he married in the presence of Dorcas Garret's sister. In 1854, Mrs. Rody Hughes, age "84 years past," and her son, William Hughes, age 61 years, resided in Blount Co., Alabama. She stated then that she was present at the marriage of her sister, Dorcas, to Stephen Mullings and tha ther third son, Rody, was born shortly afterwards.
- Samuel G. MULLINGS b: 22 DEC 1792 in Laurens Co. or 96 District, South Carolina
- Hosea MULLINGS b: 19 APR 1795 in Laurens Co. , South Carolina
- Nancy MULLINGS b: 17 FEB 1797 in Laurens Co., South Carolina
- James Gabriel MULLINGS b: 2 DEC 1798 in Laurens Co., South Carolina
- Mary Sarah MULLINGS b: 13 NOV 1800 in Laurens Co., South Carolina
- Dianna MULLINGS b: 15 AUG 1802 in Laurens Co., South Carolina
- Maudlin (Madyline or Madelin) MULLINGS b: 5 APR 1804 in Laurens Co., South Carolina
- Elizabeth MULLINGS b: 26 NOV 1806 in Laurens Co., South Carolina
- Martha MULLINGS b: 1 APR 1810 in Pendleton, Anderson Co., South Carolina
- Julia F. MULLINGS b: 25 MAY 1813 in Pendleton, Anderson Co., South Carolina
- Title: Taken from Bible belonging to Dorcas (according to Juanita Cato Askew)