Dowling Family Genealogy

Entries: 615557    Updated: 2015-08-06 18:52:09 UTC (Thu)    Contact:    Home Page: Dowling Family Genealogy  Note: You will leave RootsWeb

Index | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Public Profile | Add Post-em

  • ID: I292495
  • Name: John RUTLEDGE III
  • Sex: M
  • Birth: 1766 in Charleston Co., SC
  • Death: 1 SEP 1819 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia Co., PA
  • Note:
    RUTLEDGE, John, Jr., (son of John Rutledge and nephew of Edward Rutledge), a Representative from South Carolina; born in Charleston, S.C., in 1766; received private instruction and also attended school in Charleston and Philadelphia; studied law with his father; was admitted to the bar about 1787 and practiced in Charleston, S.C.; also engaged as a planter; member of the State house of representatives 1788-1794 and in 1811; unsuccessful candidate for election in 1794 to the Fourth Congress; elected as a Federalist to the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh Congresses (March 4, 1797-March 3, 1803); unsuccessful candidate for election to the Thirteenth Congress; commanded a company of the Twenty-eighth Regiment, South Carolina Militia, in 1799; promoted to major and in 1804 succeeded to the command of the regiment and served as its commander in the War of 1812; commanded the Seventh Brigade from 1816 until his death; died in Philadelphia, Pa., September 1, 1819.
    --- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress

    Father: John RUTLEDGE , Jr. b: 17 SEP 1739 in Charleston Co., SC
    Mother: Elizabeth GRIMKE b: 29 NOV 1741 in Charleston Co., SC

    Marriage 1 Spouse Unknown
    • We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

      Index | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Public Profile | Add Post-em

      Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly Version Search Ancestry Search Ancestry Search WorldConnect Search WorldConnect Join Today! Join Today!

      WorldConnect Home | WorldConnect Global Search | WorldConnect Help, Inc. is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. If you have a problem with a particular entry, please contact the submitter of said entry. You have full control over your GEDCOM. You can change or remove it at any time.