Name: William Henry Taylor DOWLING
Birth: 19 JAN 1849 in Troupeville, Lowndes Co., GA
Military service BET 13 MAR 1864 AND 26 APR 1865 Co. G, Florida 1st Cav. Regt.
Pic APR 1945
Death: 6 NOV 1948 in Georgia Soldiers Home, Atlanta, GA
Burial: Manchester Cem., Meriwether Co., GA
Link View on GeneaStar
GEN. DOWLING, GRAY VET., LAST IN SOLDIERS HOME, DEAD
Gen. William Henry Taylor Dowling, 99 year old Confederate veteran, lost a gallant battle with death yesterday.
The "General," last veteran living at the Georgia Confederate Soldiers Home, died in a local hospital after a 10 day fight with pneumonia. He would have been 100 years old in January.
Funeral services will be conducted at 3 PM today at the Moreland Avenue Church of Christ, with Rev. W.D. McPherson officiating. Burial will be at 1230 PM tomorrow in the Manchester Cemetery.
The General was a lad of 16 when he marched out of Lowndes County to join the Confederate Army. He wasn't a general then. "I was too young; just a private," he once said. But he became a "general" three years ago, a full 80 years after the conclusion of "The War of Northern Aggression," when he was elected Commander in Chief of The United Confederate Veterans at their annual reunion in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Gen. Dowling lived in Valdosta after the war, and married Miss Georgia Hayes. He was a farmer and Church of Christ minister, serving many small churches around Valdosta.
"He was a great singer in his younger years," said Mrs. Lora Slote, the General's daughter. "He always loved pretty singing and pretty girls."
Gen. Dowling moved from Valdosta to Manchester, where he lived 22 years, and lived in Griffin a few years before coming to the Confederate Soldiers Home seven years ago.
Only two Confederate veterans are left in Georgia now. They are W.J. Bush, 103, of Fitzgerald, and W.J. Brown of Carrolton, who declined to give his age, but who must be pushing the 100 year mark.
There are 13 Confederate widows living in the Soldiers Home, and 700 throughout the state.
--- The Atlanta Constitution, Sun. Nov. 7, 1948
Father: William Wesley DOWLING b: 14 AUG 1816 in Salkehatchee, Barnwell Dist., SC
Mother: Ardelia Elizabeth FRIER b: ABT 1825 in Bulloch Co., GA
Georgia Ann HAYES b: 16 OCT 1852
in Lowndes Co., GA
- Mary Alice DOWLING b: 18 MAY 1871 in Tifton, GA
- Joanna Catherine DOWLING b: 9 SEP 1872 in Tifton, Tift Co., GA
- Nancy Ardelia DOWLING b: 24 JAN 1874 in Tifton, GA
- Georgia Luannie DOWLING b: 2 DEC 1875 in Tifton, GA
- Jimmie Ella DOWLING b: 14 MAR 1877 in Tifton, GA
- Sarah Loucretia DOWLING b: 13 SEP 1878 in Tifton, GA
- Margaret J. DOWLING b: MAY 1880 in Tifton, GA
- William Edwin DOWLING b: 17 MAR 1881 in Tifton, GA
- John Richard DOWLING b: 1 MAR 1883 in Tifton, GA
- Lora Eslejabeth DOWLING b: 2 OCT 1885 in Tifton, GA
- Ida Belle DOWLING b: 29 DEC 1886 in Tifton, GA
- Leonard Franklin DOWLING b: 19 JAN 1889 in Tifton, GA
- Bessie DOWLING b: 29 JUN 1892 in Tifton, GA
- Junious Alexander DOWLING b: 29 MAR 1893 in Tifton, GA
- Henry Milton DOWLING b: 25 FEB 1894 in Tifton, GA