Name: Martin John Meara
Birth: ABT 1832 in Ireland
Death: 5 JUL 1871 in Middle Post Twp., Iroquois Co., Illinois
The 1870 Census shows Martin Mera [sic], wife Mary, and children Sarah, Martin, Rosanna, Joseph, and Mary living in Onarga Twp., Iroquois Co., Ilinois. He was a farmer.
"Martin Meara, an Irishman and a farmer, who resided between Onarga and Gilman, in this county [Iroquois] , was charged with having, about June 15, 1871, whipped his son, a lad of about eleven years of age, to death." On July 5, 1871, he was taken from the County Jail at Watseka by a lynch mob and hanged.
Mary Brannick b: ABT 1835 in Kentucky
- Sarah Merrill b: ABT 1857 in Kentucky
- Martin Meara b: ABT 1860 in Illinois
- Rose Merrill b: ABT 1863 in Illinois
- Joseph J. Merrill b: NOV 1866 in Illinois
- Mary Agnes Meara b: 20 APR 1869 in Iroquois Co., Illinois