Name: Bettie HUBBARD
Birth: 15 JUN 1852 in Kentucky
Death: 4 APR 1942 in Paris, KY
There are several unanswered questions about Bettie Hubbard and her family. According to family tradition, this line is has a Cherokee connection, but I haven't been able to find proof of it yet. During the Civil War, Morgan's Raiders torched the courthouse that contained many of the documents to prove this connection. In addition, people tried very hard in those days to hide their Indian heritage.
The 1870 census shows Bettie Hubbard as a single mother of 1 year old son, Shelton Hubbard. Bettie and Shelton are shown in the household of Bettie's uncle, Abina Anderson. Bettie sister Evaline is also listed as a single mother. There is no indication that Evaline ever married.
1870 Census - Montgomery Co., KY (Jeffersonville)
Abina Anderson, 32
Bettie Hubbard, 20KY
Shelton Hubbard, 1 KY
Note: It wasn't until later that year (December 1870) that Bettie Hubbard married Willis Roberts. By that time, Shelton was almost 2 years old. I have no proof that Willis Roberts was the father of Shelton, even though Shelton took on the Roberts after Willis and Bettie were married. Willis Roberts died sometime before 1880. Bettie is listed as a widow on the 1880 census.
1880 Census - Nicholas Co., KY (Carlisle)
Bettie Roberts, F, 29
Jimmie M, 9, son
Chloe (Chlora) Ann, F, 7, daughter
**W. Shelton Roberts listed as servant in another household a few doors down
1900 Census - Fayette Co., KY
Spencer Menifee, Head, Nov 1847, 52, KY, KY, KY, married 17 years, blacksmith
Bettie Menifee, Wife, June 1852, 47, KY, KY, KY, married 17 years, ? of 6 children alive
Mary F. Menifee, Nov 1886, 14, at school
Bettie Menifee, April 1887, 13, at school
1910 Census - Bourbon Co., KY (district 0010, visit 86)
William S Minifee, 57, Head, KY, KY, KY, married 28 years
Bettie 59, Wife, KY, KY, KY, married (2nd), married 28 years, 3 of 6 children alive
Shelton 06, Grandson, KY, KY, KY
1920 Census - Bourbon Co., KY
William S. Menefee, 67, KY, Blacksmith
Bettie Menefee, 67, KY
Will Probated: Bourbon County, May 16, 1942
THEORIES ABOUT INDIAN ANCESTRY:
1. Since Shelton was almost 2 years old when his mother married Willis Roberts, Willis may not have been the father. Perhaps the father was of Native American descent
2. Adoption story: I received an email from a descendent of Bettie's brother, John B. Hubbard, regarding family stories about Indian ancestry:
"We have been told that we are part Indian. The story goes the parents of a baby Indian girl were killed and she was raised by a settler family, later married one of the sons. This information was given by a Tom Hubbard from Paris Ky. This is all I know. I really hope we have a connection" (she is a grand-daughter of Hattie Lee).
3. It is also possible that the Indian blood came through her father, Eli Hubbard. Eli originated from Clay County, KY, which was an area heavy with Melungeons and mixed breeds.
4. Aunt Lucille's notes show that Bettie's mother, Elizabeth Anderson, was the Cherokee. Perhaps the original Indian/White marriage occured much earlier than we thought. The earliest Andersons in this area of KY (Nicholas, James, Abihu, and Presley Anderson) were longhunters and traders, who accompanied Daniel Boone to Kentucky. Many of these longhunters had Indian wives...some had both Indian and white wives. In other cases, the mixed blood resulted from a kidnapping as was the case of Peter Harper (and likely his brother, John).
The last theory is consistent with information about some of the early settlers in Montgomery County, especially those who lived in the Jeffersonville/Spencer areas. Several of the inhabitants were of mixed blood. One of the more famous neighbors in the Jeffersonville area was Nathaniel Gist, the father of George Gist, AKA Seqouia. (Seqouia was the inventor of the Cherokee alphabet). In addition, when Nicholas Anderson first left Boonesborough to settle in present day Montgomery County, he did so with the Harpers.
Father: Eli HUBBARD b: BET 1810 AND 1812 in Clay County, Kentucky
Mother: Elizabeth ANDERSON b: BET 1818 AND 1823 in Kentucky
Willis ROBERTS b: 1832 in Montgomery County, KY
in Estill County, KY
- W. Shelton ROBERTS b: FEB 1869 in Kentucky
- Jeremiah? ROBERTS b: ABT 1871 in Kentucky
- Chloe Ann ROBERTS b: ABT 1873 in Kenton Co., Kentucky
William Spencer MENEFEE b: 3 OCT 1852 in Montgomery Co., KY (probably)
17 JUL 1883
in Paris, KY
- Mary F. MENEFEE b: NOV 1886
- Bettie M. MENEFEE b: APR 1887 in Bourbon County, KY