Name: SETH Pettypool
Given Name: SETH
Birth: 1702 in Virginia
Death: 1773 in Halifax Co.,VA
Colonial Pettypool-Poole-P'Poole Families
Change Date: 3 OCT 2000 at 01:00:00
Seth and Martha can be followed from Namozine Creek in Prince George County, Virginia to Brunswick County and then into Halifax- Mecklenburg-Lunenburg County. Several of their children are known from the Bristol Parish Vestry Book of Prince George County, Virginia: Elizabeth (born 05/05/1721-bapt.10/07/1722), Sarah (born 11/07/1723- bapt.01/30/1724), John (born 01/06/1725-died 1803 Granville County, North Carolina, married before 1747 to Sarah Sanford), Peter (born 05/17/1727, married Elizabeth ?Journey) and Anne E. (born 05/25/1733- bapt.12/10/1733.) An additional child was listed in the 1748-50 tithes of Lunenburg County, a Seth Jr., in their household. Since all males 16 and over in age were tithed, Seth Jr. was born about 1733 (died 1789 Granville County, North Carolina married Mary Wood). Another son, William, received Seth and Martha's land in Halifax County, Virginia, in 1768 in return for taking care of them in their old age (115). William (died c1813 Mecklenburg County, Virginia married 04/09/1772 Virginia to Sarah Tynes.)
In 1722 Seth and Martha registered a land patent on Middle Creek off Namozine Creek in Prince George County1 (116).
Sith Pettypoole, 134 acres of new land patented in Prince George County between Drury Bolling and Middle Creek, adjoining Charles Cuzan (Cousin); 22 Jun 1722
His brother-in-law, Edward Broadway, patented an adjoining parcel in 1732 (117).
James Clay & Edward Broadway, 220 acres of new land in Prince George County on the upward side of Numisseen Creek, adjoining Allin Howard, Seth Pettypool & Drury Bolling; 11 Apr 1732
In 1735 Seth leased land in Brunswick County near Beaver Pond Creek adjoining his sister Anne Massey. Richard Massey and Seth were paid for traveling from Brunswick County to the court in Prince George County in 1739 (118). Seth patented land in 1740 next to the Masseys on Sturgeon Run (119).
Seth Petty Poole, patent for 385 acres in Brunswick County, north side of Beaver Pond Branch of Stergeon Run, bounded by Massey; 24 Mar 1740
Martha relinquished dower rights when the land was sold in 1743 (120). In 1743, they patented land on Modest Creek in then Brunswick County (now Lunenburg County), near his brother William Jr (121).
Seth Petty Pool, patented 132 acres in Brunswick County, north side of Fucking Creek, adjoining Lanier; 30 Jun 1743.
This parcel of land was sold three years later, two years prior to when his brother, William Jr, sold his land on Modest Creek (122). The land on Namozine Creek was apparently sold by 1746 as it was mentioned in deed records as formerly belonging to Seth (123).
Although Seth and Martha still owned land on Modest Creek in 1758 (124), they had moved to Aaron's Creek on the county line between present day Halifax and Mecklenburg County. He was listed with his adult children in the area of present day Mecklenburg County in 1748 and 1750, and in Lunenburg on Couches Creek in 1749.
1748 Lewis Deloney's District (present Mecklenburg County)
Seth Petty Poole, 4 tithes
-Seth Jr Petty Poole
-Peter Petty Poole
John Pettypoole, 2 tithes
1749 Between Hounds Creek and Meherrin (Couches Creek, present Lunenburg Co.)
Seth Petteypool 5 tithes
Seth Petteypool, Jr
1750 Hugh Lawson District (present Lunenburg Co.)
Peter Petteypool, 1 tithe
1750 Cornelius Cargill's District (present Halifax Co.)
Sith PettyPool, 4 tithes
-Sith PettyPool Jr
John PettyPool, 1 tithe
Seth was on a jury in Halifax County in 1752 to mark a road (125). Martha and Seth were named in law suits in Halifax County in 1753 (126). Numerous land entries, patents and deeds in 1752-1760 place Seth Sr. and sons John, and Seth Jr, on Aaron's Creek (also called Tewayahominy Creek) in Halifax County (127).
John Pettipool, 200 acres on Aaron's Creek beginning at John Pools and Peter Overby's line thance up the same; 12 Aug 1752
Seethe Poole, entered 400 acres land on Aarons Creek beginning at Luke Smiths upper line on the upper side of said creek joining his own line; 15 Feb 1753
John Poole, entered 400 acres on the Bluewing joining Peter Fontaines upper line thence up both sides; entered 400 acres land beginning near the mouth of the Reedy Branch of Aarons Creek thence up the north fork of said Aarons Creek. 15 Feb 1753
Seth Pettipoole, entered 400 acres beginning at Hutching's corner pine on the upper side of Seth's branch thence up both sides; 24 Jun 1756
Seth Pettypool, patented 383 acres in Halifax County on branches of Aaron's Creek adjoining Bird's line, Charles Smith, Griffin's line; 26 July 1765
In 1758, Seth Pettypool Sr. witnessed the will of Luke Smith, Sr. in Halifax County (128). A portion of Seth and Martha's land was on Tewahominy Creek, another name for Aaron's Creek, in present Mecklenburg County:
Seth Petti Pool, patented 404 acres on both sides of Tewahominy Creek; 10 Sept 1755
Seth Petty Pool of Halifax County to Nicholas Overby of Lunenburg County, 100 acres, part being in Lunenburg County and part in Halifax County, on both sides of Tewayhomony Creek, the lower part of 404 acres granted by patent. wit: Luke Smith Jr, Zachariah Smith, Ralph Griffin, Richard Griffin; 2 Aug 1756
Syth Petty Pool and wife Martha of Halifax County to George Moore of Lunenburg County, 100 acres on Tewayhominy Creek, adjoining Nicholas Overby; 04 May 1761
Seth was listed on a tax list of 1765 in Halifax County (129) and registered a gift deed of his plantation on Aaron's Creek to son William in 1768 in consideration for taking care of Seth and Martha in their old age (130).
Seth Pettypool, planter of Halifax County to his son, William Pettyool of same, for love and affection, 580 acres on Aaron's Creek whereon said Seth lives...the whole estate both real and personal with all estate right, title and interest. William will maintain Seth and his wife, Martha in a plentiful and decent manner. Signed: Seth Pettypool; witnesses: William Stokes, Richard Jones, Thomas Williams, Evan Owen; 14 Oct 1768; recorded: 17 Nov 1768
Daniel Dean of Halifax to Seth Pettipoole of Halifax, lower side of Hico River, bounded by Grifffens Road, thence along the lines of lands devised by Hon. William Byrd Esq to Samuel Griffin, thence along his line to a tract of land laid of out of Byrd's tract for John Murfey, Howard Hurst, Pinsons Shoal Branch, Byrd's old line, Ralph Griffen, about 100 acres; signed: Daniel Dean.; wit: George Boyd Jr, Patrick Fitzgerald, Elisha Estes; 20 Mar 1771; recorded: 21 Mar 1771
Seth Pettepool Sr of Halifax County to Thomas Wiles of Halifax County, 36 acres on Hico Creek, bounded by Thomas Wiler, John Murphy, Robert Wall, John Griffin, Ralph Griffin; signed: Seth (X) Pety Pool; wit: Nash (X) Glidewell, John Boyd, Robert Jones, Richard Griffin; 12 Oct 1772 recorded: 19 Mar 1772
It is possible to estimate when Seth died from land records, as no will has survived. In March 1773 Seth deeded land to a grandson, Benjamin Pettypool, a son of Peter (131). Seth's land on Bluewing Creek (adjacent to Aaron's Creek) was surveyed at the end of March 1773 (132). Seth Sr was missing from a deed of June 1773, a sale of land of son William on Aaron's Creek that was witnessed by Seth Sr's wife, Martha, and grandson Benjamin Pettypool. These records suggest that Seth Sr. probably died in early 1773 (133).
William PettyPool of Halifax County, to Haden Pryor of Halifax County, 5.75 acres of land in Halifax County, bounded by Aarons Creek, Pryors Spring branch; signed: William (X) PettyPool; wit: Peyton (TA) Tally, Benjamin (X) PettyPool, Martha (M) PettyPool; 12 Jun 1773, recorded: 17 Jun 1773
William Pettypool and Haden Pryor of Halifax County, to James Jones of Granville, County, North Carolina, 210 acres in Halifax County, bounded by William Pettypool, Pryor's spring branch, Aarons Creek, Pryor's fish dam, Reedy fork; signed: William (X) Pettypool, Haden Pryor, Sarah (X) Pettypool; wit: Obadiah Overby, Benjamin (X) Pettypool, Peter Overby; 7 Jan 1777, recorded: 19 Jun 1777. Sarah, wife of William, reliquished dower rights.
(115) Halifax County, Virginia Deed Book 7, p. 270, In: Halifax County, Virginia Deeds, 1767-1772 (1989) TLC Genealogy, Miami Beach, FL, p. 22. [return]
(116) Virginia Land Patent Book 11, p. 129 [Prince George County], In: Nugent NM (1979), Cavaliers and Pioneers. Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants, 1769-1732, vol. 3, Virginia State Library, Richmond, VA, p. 236. [return]
(117) Virginia Land Patent Book 14, p. 416 [Prince George County], In: Nugent NM (1979), Cavaliers and Pioneers. Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants, 1769-1732, vol. 3, Virginia State Library, Richmond, VA, p. 414. [return]
(118) Prince George County, Virginia Court Order Book 1737-1740, p. 271, In: Weisiger BB III (1975) Prince George County, Virginia Records 1733-1792, Richmond, VA, p. 42. [return]
(119) Virginia Land Patent Book 19, p. 921 [Brunswick County], In: Hopkins HL (1987) Magazine Virginia Genealogy 25 (4), p. 65. [return]
(120) Brunswick County, Virginia Deed Book 2, p. 329, In: Brunswick County, Virginia Deeds, 1740-1744, (1991) TLC Genealogy, Miami Beach, FL,, p. 30. [return]
(121) Virginia Land Patent Book 20, pp. 519-520 [Brunswick County], In: Hopkins WL (1988) Magazine Virginia Genealogy 26, p. 148. [return]
(122) Lunenburg County, Virginia Deed Book 1, pp. 83-86, In: Evans JP (1989), Lunenburg County, Virginia Deed Books 1 & 2, 1746-1752, Bryn Ffyliaid Publications, New Orleans, LA, p. 6. [return]
(123) Amelia County, Virginia Deed Book 6, p. 130 [19 Oct 1757], In: McConnaughey GJ (1989), Amelia County Virginia Deeds, Deed Book 5 And Deed Book 6, 1753-1759, Mid South Publishing County, Amelia, VA, p. 77. [return]
(124) Lunenburg County, Virginia Deed Book 5, pp. 105-107, In: Evans JP (1990) Lunenburg County, Virginia Deed Book 5, 1757-1764, Bryn Ffyliaid Publications, New Orleans, LA, p. 18. [return]
(125) Halifax County, Virginia Pleas No. 1, p. 37, In: Chiarito MD (1985) Magazine of Virginia Genealogy 23 (3), p. 45. [return]
(126) Halifax County, Virginia Pleas No. 1, pp. 219, 227, In Chiarito, MD (1986) Magazine of Virginia Genealogy 24 (3), pp. 64-65. [return]
(127) Halifax County, Virginia Entry Book, pp. 174-175, 239, In: Chiarito MD (1984) Entry Record Book 1737-1770 (Land Entries In The Present Virginia Counties Of Halifax, Pittsylvania, Henry, Franklin, and Patrick), Clarkton Press, Nathalie, VA, p. 138, 190; Virginia Land Patent Book 31, p. 571 [Lunenburg County], In: Lunenburg County, Virginia Land Patents, 1746-1916, (1990) TLC Genealogy, Miami Beach, FL, p. 28; Lunenburg County, Virginia Deed Book 4, pp. 319-320, In: Evans JP (1990) Lunenburg County Virginia Deed Book 4, 1754-1757, Bryn Ffyliaid Publications, New Orleans, LA, p. 49-50; Deed Book 7, pp. 94-96, In: Evans JP (1991) [return]
(128) Lunenburg County Virginia Deed Book 7, 1761-1762, Bryn Ffyliaid Publications, New Orleans, LA, p. 22. [return]
(129) Halifax County, Virginia Will Book O, pp. 37-38, 43-45, In: Chiarito MD (1982) Will Book O, 1752-1772, Halifax County, Virginia, The Clarkton Press, Nathalie, VA, pp. 4, 5. [return]
(130) Halifax County, Virginia Poll Tax List Taken for George Watkins [17 July 1765], p. 400, In: Warren MB (1991) Halifax County, Virginia Colonial Poll And Tithables List, Heritage Papers, Danielsville, Georgia, p. 14. [return]
(131) Halifax County, Virginia Deed Book 7, p. 270, In: (1989) Halifax County, Virginia Deeds 1762-1772, TLC Genealogy, Miami Beach, FL, p. 22; Deed Book 8, pp. 148, 311, In:(1989) Halifax County, Virginia Deeds 1767- 1772, TLC Genealogy, Miami Beach, FL, pp. 53, 69. [return]
(132) Halifax County, Virginia Deed Book 9, p. 75, In: (1990) Halifax County, Virginia Deed Book 9, 1773-1775, TLC Genealogy, Miami Beach, FL, p. 16. [return]
(133) Halifax County, Virginia Deed Book 9, p. 305, In: (1990) Halifax County, Virginia Deed Book 9, 1773-1775, TLC Genealogy, Miami Beach, FL, p. 50. [return]
in Prince George Co.,VA
- Elizabeth Pettypool b: 8 MAY 1721
- Sarah Pettypool b: 30 JAN 1723
- John Pettypool b: 6 JAN 1725 in Bristol Parish,Prince George Co.,VA
- Peter Pettypool b: 17 MAR 1727 in Bristol Parish,Prince George Co.,VA
- Ann E. Pettypool b: 25 SEP 1733 in Bristol Parish,Prince George Co.,VA
- SETH Pettypool b: ABT 1734 in Prince George Co.,VA
- William Pettypool b: ABT 1735