Name: Caroline Orendorff 1 2
Birth: 1825 2
Death: 1922 2
Burial: Greemwood Cem., Canton Twp., Canton, Fulton Co., Il., Lot 354, Div. A|
Father: John Orendorff b: 23 APR 1796 in Wilkes Co., Ga.
Mother: Margaret Sale b: in Wilkes Co., N. C.
William Parlin b: 21 JAN 1817 in Acton, Middlesex Co., Mass.
7 JAN 1845
in Farmington, Fulton Co., Il. 1 3
PARLIN, WILLIAM ORENDORFF, CAROLI NE 1845-01-07 00B/0017 00000001 FULTON
1908 HISTORY OF FULTON COUNTY ILLINOIS
PARLIN, William (deceased), one of the most conspicuous among the promote rs of the industrial interests of Canton, Fulton County, Ill., and the fou nder of a manufacturing establishment there which has tended more than a ll others to give that city its wide reputation as a mechanical center, w as born in Acton, Middlesex County, Mass., January 21, 1817. He was of Eng lish derivation, his ancestors having come from England at an early peri od and settled in Massachusetts Colony. Among their descendants was Samue l, grandfather of William, who, with his son, Warren, was a gallant soldi er in the War of the Revolution. They were connected by family ties with t he famous General Warren, who fell at Bunker Hill.
William Parlin was a son of Warren and Lydia (Davis) Parlin, the latt er a daughter of Jonathan Davis, who also participated in the Revolutiona ry War. His cousin, Captain Davis, was among the slain in the battle of Co ncord, being the first of the patriot officers to fall in the struggle wi th the mother country. Mr. Parlin received his early education in the comm on schools of Middlesex County and, having finished his studies, learned t he blacksmith’s trade, at which he worked for awhile in his native Stat e. Having determined on a change of conditions, he started westward and af ter a somewhat tedious journey, arrived in Canton, Ill., July 4, 1840. The re he started a small blacksmith shop, which he afterward developed fr om an insignificant beginning into a colossal enterprise, known througho ut the United States.
In 1847 Mr. Parlin began the manufacture of plows, starting at the co rner of Fourth and Elm Streets, in Canton, where a portion of the mammo th plow works now stands. Modern facilities had not yet become available a nd his operations were confined wholly to hand work. In 1857 the first eng ine in use by him, a six-horse-power machine, was a substitute for the nat ural horse power. The capacity of the plant was enlarged as time went o n, new buildings were erected and new inventions were utilized in the diff erent processes, until this erstwhile unpretentious concern broadened o ut into one of the most extensive and complete manufactories of kind in th is country, the ramifications of its trade being pushed to the remotest ma rkets of the continent, and the magnitude of its operations involving t he employment of great numbers of men. The establishment now covers six en tire blocks and turns out plows of various styles suited to the conditio ns in all agricultural regions. In addition to these it produces cultivato rs, sulky plows, road scrapers, stalk cutters and many other kinds of agri cultural implements, all made by special machinery. In 1857 William J. Ore ndorff, a sketch of whose life is contained in this volume, became a partn er of the founder of the enterprise.
On January 7, 1845, William Parlin was united in marriage with Caroli ne Orendorff, a daughter of John Orendorff, of Orion Township, Fulton Coun ty. Four children resulted from their union, namely: Artemas F., who di ed at the age of eighteen years; William H.; Clara E., and Alice C., who b ecame the wife of Charles E. Ingersoll.
In politics Mr. Parlin was a firm supporter of the Republican part y. On the incorporation of Canton he was one of the first members of the C ity Council, and served several terms in that capacity. He also held the o ffice of School Director, and ably and faithfully discharged the duti es of Mayor of the city. He was an earnest advocate of temperance principl es, and while not a member of any church, was recognized by all as a m an of strict probity and an exemplary citizen. To all religious denominati ons he was a liberal contributor, and to the cause of education a steadfa st friend. All measures for the welfare of the community found in him an e arnest advocate. The great industrial enterprise which he founded and whi ch his indomitable energy and perseverance carried through its initial per iod, stands as a monument of his ability and sagacity. Mr. Parlin depart ed this life June 20, 1891.
- Artemas F. Parlin b: 1845
- William H. Parlin b: 24 DEC 1847 in Canton, Fulton Co., Il.
- Clara E. Parlin
- Alice C. Parlin b: 2 NOV 1855 in Canton, Fulton Co., Il.
- Title: 1908 History of Fulton County Illinois
- Title: Cemetery Inscriptions of Fulton Co., Il. Greenwood Cem., Vol. 14
- Title: Illinois Statewide Marriage Index 1763-1900