Name: Nancy Council
Given Name: Nancy
Birth: Abt 1785 in Unknown
Death: 1840 in Sumter County GA. (Americus)
Burial: Sumter County GA. (Americus) (Unknown cemetery)
Change Date: 25 May 2007 at 10:51
Elbert's first wife, Nancy Council, from Laurens County, Georgia.(Note: Her last name has been spelled Counsel, Comsel, Comsellic in various records but it is generally agreed that the correct spelling is COUNCIL. The LAURENS COUNTY LEGAL RECORDS, 1807-1832 lists her as Nancy Counsel.)
Elbert and Nancy were married on June 10, 1811 in Laurens County. "The History of Laurens County" Marriages from 1809-1817, page 281. Marraige Book A. "Elbert Pitman was groom, Nancy Counsel was bride. Amos Love issued license on June 10, 1811 and the marriage was recorded on March 28, 1817." No notation as to when the marriage was solemnized.
It is believed that Nancy's cousin was Solomon Barlow Council (b. 1803 Robeson County NC d. 1884 Sumter County Ga.) It is suspected that her father is John Council from Edgecombe County, NC. but no definitive record has been found listing her as his child.
Elbert Pittman b: Abt 1785 in Unknown
10 Jun 1811
in Laurens County Georgia 1
- Change Date:
23 Apr 2001
- Sarah Pittman b: 1812
- Elbert Pittman b: 1810 in Laurens County Georgia
- John Wallace Pittman b: 1814 in Laurens County Georgia
- William "Bluford" Pittman b: 6 Jan 1815 in Laurens County Georgia
- Joel Sheppard Pittman b: 1822 in Laurens County Georgia
- Charles Pittman b: 1834 in Sumter County GA. (Americus)
- Nancy M. Pittman b: 1835 in Sumter County GA. (Americus)
- Abbrev: Marriage of Elbert Pitman to Nancy Counsel
Title: page 281 from a list of marriages from 1809-1817.
Author: "History of Laurens County"
Text: Elbert Pitman marries Nancy Counsel on June 10, 1811