Name: Temperance Rushing
Birth: ABT 1795 in Beaufort District, St. Peters Parish, SC
Burial: Beulah Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery, Troy, Pike Co., AL
Census Federal 1830 1830 Federal Census of Montgomery Co., AL: Smart, Cornelious 1 m 0 - 5; 3 m 5 - 10; 1 m 30-40; 1 f 0 - 5; 1 f 10 - 15; 1 f 30 - 40; 1 f 60 - 70. Page of orginial: 203. 1
Inscribed on headstone Temperance Wife of Cornelius Smart Aged 80 yrs. Member of Beulah Church 40 yrs. Asleep in Jesus
Death: 09 JUL 1876 in Pike Co., AL
"Died - On the 9th inst., at her residence, some six miles west of Troy, Pike County, Alabama, Tempy, or Temperance Smart, aged about 76 years, relict of the late Cornelious Smart, who died some time last year, a notice of whose death appeared in this paper
This was the last surviving sister to the mother of the writer, and leaving only one of the old stock, a brother, Wm. C. Rushing, who reside in the same locality.
Thus they fade away, as mist before the above until he shall make up his jewels. The old, the young, the middle-aged. None are free from the penalty of the law. All that is created must come to an end, all that are born must die. Happy are they who, like her of whom we write, shall be so fully ready for the summons when their Lord shall call." (E. W. B. Bayzer was the Editor and proprietor of The People's Banner, Wetumpka, Elmore Co., AL) (1)
(1) The People's Banner, Wetumpka, Elmore Co., AL; Thursday, July 27th, 1876. Researched by Ron Bridges on 20 Jan 2004.
SMART, Temperance; Wife of Cornelius Smart; Age 80 Years; Member of Beulah Church 40 Years; Asleep In Jesus; (no dates of birth/death)
Father: Mathew Malachi Rushing b: ABT 1760 in SC
Mother: Elizabeth Thornhill b: ABT 1760 in NC
Cornelious Smart b: ABT 1799 in SC
- Note: One source has their marriage 8 MAR 1817 in Beaufort District, SC.
- Malachi A Smart b: ABT 1823 in Beaufort District, St. Peters Parish, SC
- Eliza M. Smart b: 21 FEB 1817 in SC
- Sefsee Smart b: ABT 1831 in AL
- Francis Marion Smart b: 1832 in AL
- Caroline Temperance Smart b: 25 MAR 1837 in AL
- Charles Richard Smart b: 1825 in Montgomery Co., AL
- Isabella Jane Smart b: 07 JAN 1825 in SC
- Henry Porter Smart b: 1830 in AL
- William Edward Smart b: 1821 in Beaufort District, St. Peters Parish, SC
- Details: Researched by Ron Bridges at the Alabama Archives on 11 May 2001.