Name: **Captain John Williams 1
Birth: ABT 1720 in Wales, England 1
Death: 1783 in Little Coharie, Sampson County, North Carolina 1
(The majority of the following is taken from COHARIE TO CAPE FEAR - The Descendants of John Williams and Katherine Galbreth of Sampson and Cumberland Counties in North Carolina 1740-1990 written by John C. Rosser, Jr. of Godwin, North Carolina.)
In his book Coharie to Cape Fear Mr. Rosser reviews the family as indicated above but does not discuss the George Williams family of Isle of Wight County, Virginia whose descendants moved into Northampton County, Dobbs County, Greene County, Duplin County, and into Sampson and Cumberland County. The George Williams descendants (Robert Williams of Duplin County, North Carolina fought in the Revolutionary War) eventually settled in Duplin, Sampson, and Cumberland County where they married into the John Williams family as identified by Mr. Rosser.
George Robert Williams a descendant of George Williams the tailor of the Isle of Wight County, Virginia married Sarah Jane Williams a descendant of Captain John "She" Williams and John Williams as written about by Mr. Rosser.
Thus two distinct and separate lines of Williams in Sampson County intermarried in the early 1800's.
JOHN WILLIAMS and KATHERINE GALBRETH
One of the ancestors of some of the Williams family of Sampson and Cumberland County, North Carolina is John Williams who is thought to have emigrated from Wales to the Province of Virginia about 1739. He is thought to have moved South to the Province of North Carolina about a year later. Shortly thereafter he married Katharine Galbreth, American born daughter of Neil Galbreth.
John Williams died in late 1783 in Duplin County, (Sampson) North Carolina . An inventory of his estate dated 20 October 1783 was sworn to in open court by Katey Williams administrator in the October Term of Court in Duplin County.
The inventory of the John Williams estate lists: 6 negroes, 2 horses, 106 head of cattle, 33 head of sheep, 23 head of hogs, 4 feather beds and furniture to them, 5 puter dishes, 4 puter basins, one candle stick, 10 puter plates, one drawen knife, 3 chests, one iron chizel, 5 axes, 3 augers, 1 hammer, 9 hoes, 2 gimblets, 8 earthen plates, 3 punch bowls, 4 glases, two bowls, 3 tumblers, 4 earthen plates, and i dish, 2 muggs, nine hides of leather, 2 plow hoes, 2 saddles, 12 sider barrells, 2 cane frames, 3 iron pots, 2 pot hooks, 1 fryer pan, one iron skillet, 1 tea kettle, 1 coffee pot, 2 pitchers, 10 celers, 1 cross cut saw, 1 hand daze, 5 earthen jugs, 3 stands, 2 iron wedges, 1 croc, 3 tables, 1 smoothing iron, 4 bedsteads, 1 pair of stirrup irons, 6 chairs, 3 wooden wheels, 2 lines wheels, 4 pails, 3 tubs, 2 hides, 2 great puter spoons, 1 still, 9 forks, 3 knives. ( From the Duplin County estate of John Williams, NC Archives in Raleigh).
John Williams was listed in the 1783 Tax List of Duplin County with an assesed value of 588 pounds. "Catron" Williams is listed in the 1784 Tax List of Sampson County having 700 acres of land, no free polls, and four black polls. This is compatible with the 1783 inventory of the estate of John Williams which listed 6 negroes.
Catherine Williams as administratrix to the estate of John Williams was the subject of two lawsuits. In the December Term 1784 of Sampson County (case10) she was sued by George Meek " Plea in Abatement dissibility of the plaintiff." In the June Term 1785 of Sampson County, (case 18) Judgement confessed by Defendant in open court for 281 barrels of Tar payable in December at Wilmington or the price thereof to be ascertained by a jury at Sampson County for the December Term. George Meek was apparently agent for or assigned the debt to John Burguin who is listed in the 1790 census of New Hanover County. This suit was apparently settled by a 10 September 1790 bill of sale from Catherine Williams administrator of the goods and Chattels Rights Credits which were of Captain John Williams late of Duplin County deceased died John Williams and Richard Williams sons of the late John Williams deceased for and in consideration of the sum of Four Hundred and Thirty Pounds due to the said John Burguin on a Judgement he obtained against the estate of the said John Williams deceased for is put in Execution has been levied on the following Negroes by the name Tom Sharper Hannah London Nat and Bristol and stock of cattle and in under to pay off the said debt cost at a small Expense as possible We agree to sell unto the said John Burguin the said Negroes above mentioned Stock of Cattle per list on the back thereof. The bill of sale was proved 24 December 1790 by the oath of George Gibbs one of the subscribing witnesses to the same and that one of the Negroes Named London was delivered to him for Mr. Burguin. Let the same be registered, Sam Spencer J.S.C.S.C.
Although the order of the August Term 1791 to record the bill of sale is signed by Curtis Ivey, Clerk of Court, it does not appear in the minutes of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions. It was recorded 07 November 1792 by Owen Holmes , Registrar Deed Book 8 page 442.)
The copy of the bill of sale now exhibited in the Deed Book appears to have been inaccurately copied (by Edward Vail in 1851) both in Title
"Catheran Williams to Rich Williams" and in content as no other record names a Richard Williams as a son of John Williams nor does it list sons Robert and Daniel. Note that this bill of sale refers to Captain John Williams. This judgement is listed in the account of settlement of the estate as John Burguin- 429 pounds 18 shillings 8 pence although he received an additional 261 pounds 3 shillings for other debts.
The second suit was filed by Jacob Wooten in the June Term 1785 (case 12) and continued for the next 6 years. Although last listed in the November Term of Court 1786, no settlement or description has ever been found.
That people resented governmental interference even then is shown by the entry in the minutes of the Sampson County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions on 15 August 1792 in which the Court ordered that "Catherine Williams administratrix to the estate of John Williams deceased appear at our next County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions held for the County of Sampson and then and there render an account of her proceedings of the said deceased estate."
Katherine did not submit her report of accounts rendered gainst the estate of John Williams of Cohera until 16 January 1798 Term of Court and then to the Duplin County Court. (Minutes of the Duplin County Court of Pleas and Quarters Sessions, 16 January 1798, Volume 4, page 340.)
Katherine reported paying out 1045 Pounds, 14 Shillings, and 6 Pence to settle the debts of the estate. She was alotted the remaining 60 pounds for her labor.
(From the Duplin County Estate of John Williams file, NC State Archives, Raleigh, NC, A minute of the Accounts Rendered against the Estate of John Williams Dec Settled by the Adm:
Doctor McDaniel 6 Pounds 13 Shillings
Hardy Holmes Sheriff 3 Pounds 10 Shillings
Walter Bainne 58 Pounds 15 Shillings
Wm Stewart 65 Pounds
John Burguin 69 Pounds 17 Shillings
D 57 Pounds 15 Shillings
Robert Hogg 73 Pounds 6 Shillings
John Burguin 7 Pounds 3 Shillings
Ja Sampson 15 Pounds
Sampson Young 6 Pounds 10 Shillings
Rich Sessions 5 Pounds 12 Shillings
William Butler 2 Pounds
Stephen Anderson 2 Pounds 2 Pence
Warren & Newalls 12 Pounds
Warren 3 Pounds
Wm Edge 8 Shillings
James Cashwell 4 Pounds 18 Shillings
John Burguin 43 Pounds 8 Shillings
D 429 Pounds 18 Shillings 8 Pence
Alex Campbell 25 Pounds
Nancy Wooten 25 Pounds
d/o Nathan Hall 30 Pounds
Hardy Dees 25 Pounds
The total was 1045.14.6 however the written total was 1054.14.6
January Term of Court 1798 Katherine Williams Widow of John Williams Dec and Adm to Said Dec Estate Returned the above Account of Moneys paid being Debts Due by the Dec amounting to 1045.14.6. Sworn to in open Court. Test W. Dickinson, CC.
January Term of Court 1798, The Court considering the Services of Mrs. Katherine Williams the Executive of John Williams Deceased for all her trouble in Collecting moneys and in paying to the amount of the within account and have allowed her the sum of 60 Pounds. Ordered the Clerk record the same. Test. Wm Dickenson CC.
On 13 November 1799, John Williams, one of the Heirs of John Williams Deed came into Sampson County Court and prayed leave to have the estate of his Deed father divided among his lawful representatives which was granted. "Ordered that John Crumpler, Owen Holmes, and Daniel Coore be a committee to divide the estate aforesaid among his lawful representatives and report the same to our next Court." ( Minutes of the Sampson County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions, 13 November 1798, Volume 1, page 208. A Folio of 24 pages 207-230 is bound out of its proper order in the Book.)
The request for the division of the estate of John Williams appears to have been deferred until the death of his widow but no record of the division has been located. It thus appears that Katherine died after 16 January 1798 but before 13 November 1799.
The order of the birth of John's children is not known. Robert was born not later than 1750 since he married in 1772.
The land grant for John for 100 acres west of the Black River in Cumberland County that was not approved was surveyed 09 March 1770 by William Dickenson, Surveyor of Duplin County and listed Robert Williams and Thomas Williams as Chainbearers. It is thought that Robert and Thomas may have been children of John. The birth dates of Robert and Thomas are thought to be as follows: Thomas being a teenager in 1770 and having received a land grant in 1774 could be the older. ( It is possible the reason this grant was not approved is that it crossed County lines.)
The 1784 Tax List of Sampson County lists two John Williams with no land, one free poll and no black polls and a Robert Williams with 200 acres , one free poll, and one black poll. Robert appears to be the only son left at home without having any property in his name.
The 1790 census of Sampson County lists Catherine Williams with one male under age 16, three females, and six slaves and Robert Williams with one male over the age of 16, four males under age 16, four females, and five slaves.
The children of John Williams and Katherine Galbreth are thought to be as follows:
1) Captain John "She" Williams was born about 1745 and died about 1800. He married Katherine Carouth.
2) Robert Williams was born about 1750 and died after the signing of his will on 04 September 1813. He married first by Bond Barbary Culbreth daughter of Angus and Isabel Galbreth ( Culbreth) and second on 16 November 1791 Susan Daniel daugther of Hon Daniel or John Daniel.
3) Daniel Williams was born before 1755 and died 19 February 1811.
4) Thomas Williams is named on the 100 acre survey of 1770 as a Chainbearer.
He died unmarried before 26 October 1774. This is the date his deathbed will was sworn to before John Williams Esq. of Duplin County with witnesses of Zacheriah Faircloth and Sarah Faircloth. The will left all his things including 12 head of cattle, 1 horse, and 3 head of hogs to Charles Butler. The will was proved in Court in January 1775.
The following land grants are thought to be those of John Williams:
1) On 26 November 1757 John Williams was granted by Governor Arthur Dobbs 150 acres in Duplin County on the West side of Great Coharie at the Juniper Marsh joining the swamp and a branch ( Patent Book 2, page 156 and Patent Book 16 page 125). A note indicates: The grant entered agreeable to an order of the Court 12 December 1801. Files 76 and 680.
2) On 26 November 1757 John Williams was granted by Governor Arthur Dobbs 200 acres in Duplin County on the West side of Little Coharie joining Robert Palmer ( Patent Book 2, page 179 and Patent Book 16, page 160). Files 80 and 685.
3) On 26 November 1757 John Williams was granted by Governor Arthur Dobbs 100 acres in Duplin County on the West side of Little Coharie on the Popular Branch (Patent Book 2, page 179, and Patent Book 16, page 162). Files 81 and 686.
4) On 26 November 1757 John Williams was granted by Governor Arthur Dobbs 100 acres in Duplin County on the East side of the Great Swamp joining the swamp side (Patent Book 2, page 180 and Patent Book 16, page 164). Files 82 and 687.
5) On 23 April 1763 John Williams was granted( Patent No. 194) by Governor Arthur Dobbs 100 acres in Duplin County on the East side of the Black River joining the river side and a point above the Indian Loggs. (Patent Book 13, page 407 and Patent Book 15, page 502). Files 352 and 641.
6) On 26 April John Williams entered 200 acres (Entry 245) East of the South River in Duplin County, File 0220.
7) On 16 April 1765 John Williams was granted (No. 153) by Governor William Tryon 100 acres in Duplin County on the West side of the Great Swamp below Jacob Stanaland's field (Patent Book 17, page 175 and Patent Book 18, page 160). Files 823 and 984.
8) On 28 October 1765 John Williams was granted (No. 27) by Governor William Tryon 100 acres in Cumberland County on his own line (Patent Book 17, page 194 and Patent Book 18, page 176). File 0519. This patent was abandoned as it is not recorded in the Cumberland County Deed Books.
9) On 16 April 1767 John Williams entered 100 acres (Entry 233) in Duplin County upon the Black River. File 0236.
10 On 22 June 1767 John Williams entered 200 acres in Cumberland County between the head of Upper Locks Creek and Black River, File 0504.
11) On 03 February 1768 John Williams entered 100 acres (Entry 208) in Duplin County West of Great Swamp. File 0234.
12) On 09 March 1770 John Williams had surveyed by William Dickson, Duplin County Surveyor 100 acres in Cumberland County West of Black River including his new bridge above Dugald Campbell's Old Ferry North of the Beaverdam Swamp near Hugh Bain's line. Chainbearers were Robert Williams and Thomas Williams. File 0513.
13) On 23 January 1773 John Williams was granted (No.7) by Governor Josiah Martin 400 acres in Duplin County between South River and Coharie on both sides of the Main Road above Spring Branch near Williams' other survey (Patent Book 22, page 116). File 1295
14) On 22 July 1774 John Williams was granted (No. 563) by Governor Josiah Martin 200 acres in Duplin County West side of Little Coharie and on the head of the Horsepen Branch near the the main road on the East side of Great Pocosin (Patent Book 22, page 427). File 1368.
15) On 23 July 1774 John Williams was granted (No. 653) by Governor Josiah Martin 200 acres in Duplin County on the East side of the Black River on both sides of the main road about a mile and a half from Ralph McGee's (Patent Book 26, page 26). File 1616. Entered 20 May 1772 (Entry 787). Surveyed by William Dickson 03 December 1773.
16) On 10 November 1784 John Williams was granted (No. 595) by Governor Alexander Martin 100 acres in Duplin County on the West side of Little Coharie on Tory or Long Branch (Patent Book 55, page 143). Entered 17 August 1778 (Entry 619). Survey directed 17 August 1779 by Michale J. Kenan, Entry Officer of Claims in the County of Duplin, (East of Great Swamp at the head of Tory Branch). Surveyed 05 February 1783 by Dan Williams Deputy Surveyor. File 2342. Recorded 02 January 1785 in Grant Book A, page 32.
17) On 10 November 1784 John Williams was granted (No. 622) by Governor Alexander Martin 200 acres in Duplin County on the West side of Little Coharie on both sides of Running Branch above his own line (Patent Book 55, page 154). Entered in August 1779 (Entry 617). Survey directed in August 1779 by Michael J. Kenan beginning at his own line on the West side of Little Coharie. Surveyed 05 February 1783 by Dan Williams Deputy Surveyor. File 2369. Grant Number 622 refers to Mirey Branch rather than Running Branch. Recorded 02 January 1785 in Grant Book A, page 33.
18) On 10 November 1784 John Williams was granted (No. 800) by Governor Alexander Martin 100 acres in Duplin County East of Great Swamp on both sides of Running Branch (Patent Book56, page 279). Entered 17 August 1779 (Entry 618). Survey directed 17 August 1779 by Michael J. Kenan (beginning on the Running Branch of the Great Swamp on the East side). Surveyed 05 February 1783 by Dan Williams Deputy Surveyor. File 2559.
19) On 10 November 1784 John Williams was granted (No. 617) by Governor Alexander Martin 100 acres in Duplin County on the West side of Little Coharie at Samuel Porter's line near Running Branch (Patent Book 55, page 152). Entered 25 July 1783 (Entry 1079). Survey directed 25 February 1783 by Michael J. Kenan joining his own line including McNeal's improvements). Surveyed 05 February 1783 by Dan Williams Deputy Surveyor. File 2364. Recorded 26 February 1844 in Grant Book E, page 168.
The earliest land grants to John Williams appear to be the first four listed- all dated 26 November 1757. The last four numbers 16-19 appear to have been granted after John died. These entries and surveys were completed prior to the formation of Sampson County from Duplin County in 1784.
The earliest deed record not involving a land patent of John Williams is in Sampson County Deed Book 3, page 41 (Duplin County Deeds but kept in Sampson County and not returned to Duplin County) which records the transfer on 14 April 1759 of 100 acres West of Little Coharie Creek below Hurburt's line from John Brown to John Williams for 11 Pounds and 5 Shillings.
Sampson County Deed Book 3, page 103 records the transfer on 03 January 1760 of 200 acres on the South side of Little Coharie from Arthur Blackman of Craven County to John Williams of Black River of the County of Duplin, Merchant, for 15 Pounds. Land was granted to Robert Palmer bt patent dated 07 October 1756 (Patent Book 15, page 206.)
Sampson County Deed Book 3, page 231 records the transfer on 07 November 1761 of 100 cares on the West side of Little Coharie Branch from Maurice Maglaughon to John Williams for 7 Pounds 3 Shillings 8 Pence. Land was part of a tract patented by William Magee on 31 March 1755.
Sampson County Deed Book 4, page 73 records the transfer on 15 June 1762 of 100 acres on the West side of Great Coharie Creek near Sarah Odam's Spring Branch from William Odams to John Williams for 43 Pounds. Land was part of a tract granted to Richard Holly by patent dated 03 February 1754. ( Abstracts, Sampson Duplin County Deeds, Books 4-6 ca 1762 to ca 1779 by Max R. Peterson, Jr.)
Sampson County Deed Book 1, page 459 records the transfer on 07 June 1764 of 200 acres on the East side of the Black River (now South River) in the Beaver Dam Swamp from Ferquard Campbell of Cumberland County (patented by him on 26 May 1757) to Captain John Williams of Duplin County, Planter for 15 Pounds Proclamation Money.
Sampson County Deed Book 1, page 436 records the transfer on 13 October 1764 of 150 acres on the West side of Coharie on Gum Marsh from Thomas Gibbs to John Williams fro 25 Pounds and page 232 the transfer on 24 January 1767 of 120 acres on the South side of Panther Swamp at the mouth of Gum Branch from Thomas Worley (patented by Jacob Lawhon 19 April 1763) to John Williams for 20 Pounds Proclamation Money.
Sampson County Deed Book 4, page 181 records the transfer on 25 September 1768 of 100 acres "on the West side of Great Coharie on the head of Flatt Branch" from Thomas Gibbs by patent dated 26 October 1767.
Sampson County Deed Book 5, page 339 records the transfer on 20 January 1778 of 150 acres "on the West side of Great Coharie in the Fork of Juniper Branch and on both sides of the Main Road from Timothy Williams (patented by him on 22 December 1768) to John Williams for 8 Pounds.
MIGRATION PATTERNS OF THE WILLIAMS FAMILY
According to the Book FROM COHARIE TO CAPE FEAR by John C. Rosser the migration patterns of the Williams Family closely paralleled those of the Bain Family from Scotland.
The following is taken from a writing of John C. Bain, THE BAIN FAMILY. John C. Bain was a rural mail carrier for Wade, North Carolina for many years.
" John and Hugh Bain, brothers, landed from Scotland or Northern Ireland about the year 1740. They came up the Cape Fear River and John the elder brother settled at or near "Kelly's Cove" in the Cape Fear, about thirty miles above Wilmington, in Bladen County. Hugh Bain came on up in a Northwesterly direction from Wilmington about 75 miles, settled near South River and about 7 miles east from the Bluff on Cape Fear, then Bladen County, but now Cumberland County. Later about the year 1770 the first public road laid off in North Carolina , called later The Negro Head Road (from Hillsborough via McNeill's Ferry at Bluff on Cape Fear to Wilmington) led right by Hugh Bain's front door....Hugh Bain married a daughter of Neil Galbreth (later the name was spelled Culbreth and is now) who lived in what is now Sampson County, about three miles in a Southeasterly direction from Graham's Bridge on South River; also one Williams who came down from Virginia and had the year before emigrated from Wales. He married a sister of Bains wife about the same year. The greater number of Williams now residing in Western Sampson County and Eastern Cumberland County are his descendants".
According to Mr. Rosser, John C. Bain's statement implies that Hugh Bain was among the earliest settlers, Scottish or otherwise, of the Upper Cape Fear Valley.
The location of Hugh Bain's settlement suggest that he settled where he could find land to live on and that he subsequently registered it as a legal entry.
According to Mr. Rosser, McNeill's Ferry on the Cape Fear River is believed to have been about 1 mile Southwest of the Bluff Presbyterian Church or about 3/4 mile due North of the railroad crossing in the present town of Wade. A later map indicates McNeill's Ferry could have been located about 1/2 mile North of Bluff Church on the North side of Silver Run at a site called McKethan's Ferry. The Southern ferry landing on the East bank was later the site of Kyle's Landing, a river boat landing that was usable only in times of spring run-offs, which permitted riverboats to go as far north as Averasboro near the present town of Erwin. The post office at Kyle's Landing was established 20 August 1852 on the Fayetteville-Raleigh Stage Road about a half mile Southeast of Bluff Church.
The Negro-Head Road which led right by Hugh Bain's front door crossed South (Black) River on the "New Bridge" built by John Williams and identified in his unapproved land grant of 100 acres. The road then turned Southeast and passed about 1/4 mile East of the present town of Clement.
This road and bridge were used by the Scottish Highlanders under British Brigadier General Donald McDonald en route to Cross Creek northwest of Wilmington to the Battle of Widow Moore's Creek Bridge where they were defeated in a brilliantly laid plan by Colonel Richard Caswell and Alexander Lillington. That battle effectively prevented the Highlanders from reaching Wilmington and linking up with other Loyalists who were proceeding south from New Bern. (The history of that battle may be found in The North Carolina Continentals by Rankin published 1971 by the UNC Press, Chapel Hill, NC).
The Bain Family cemetery is located about a mile Northwest of the New Bridge site and on a straight line toward the site of McNeills Ferry. This line runs along the same line as the Negro-Head Road.
Graham's Bridge mentioned by Bain was located just North of where US Route 13 crosses the South River. Route 13 follows the old Fayetteville Goldsboro Road that went on to Tarboro. This road was used by the wagon trains of General Sherman's left wing en route to Goldsboro in March of 1865. Just North of Route 13 in Johnston County is the Bentonville Battleground.
Mr. Rosser notes that geographic landmarks of Sampson County have changed.
These have occurred in the mapping of the Black River. It arises in Harnett County, runs south to Sampson County where it joins the East Mingo Branch near the present town of Falcon and forms the South River that was once called the Black River. The South River flows between the Cumberland and the Sampson County line and into the Black River at the Pender County line. The Black River is made up in Sampson County from the Six Runs Creek and the Coharie River consisting of the Great and Little Coharie Rivers. The Black River eventually joins the Cape Fear River at the Pender County-Brunswick County line.
In early days there was interchangeable use of the South and Black River, as well as 6 Beaverdam Creeks and Swamps in Sampson County. The present Cape Fear River was once called the Northwest River and the Northwest Branch of the Cape Fear River; the Northeast Branch is now called the Northeast Cape Fear and flows through Duplin and Pender Counties to the Cape Fear River.
Neill Galbreth's home was located about three miles Southeast of Graham's Bridge or about 3 miles Northwest of the present community of Clement in the Dismal Township, close to the headwaters of the Jones Swamp.
The evidence for Neill Galbreth residing in the area comes from the statement by Bain and from the statement John Carouth Williams made about his ancestors and that his great grandmother was Katherine Culbreth ( Galbreth).
Dr. J. P. MacLean in his book " An Historical Account of the Settlements of Scotch Highlanders in America prior to the Peace of 1783, pages 102-104 " states,
The earliest, largest and most important settlement of Highlanders in America prior to the Peace of 1783 was in North Carolina along the Cape Fear River about 100 miles from its mouth and in what was then Bladen County but now Cumberland County. The time when the Highlanders began to occupy this territory is not definitely known but some were located there in 1729, at the time of the separation of the Province into North and South Carolina....The immigration to North Carolina was accelerated not only by accounts sent back to the Highlanders of Scotland by the first settlers but under the patronage of Gabriel Johnston governor of the province from 1734 until his death in 1752...The real impetus of the Highland immigration to North Carolina was the arrival in 1739 of a shipload under the guidance of Neil McNeill of Kintyre, Scotland who settled also on the Cape fear, amonst those who had preceeded him. Here he found Hector McNeill called " Bluff Hector ".
It should also be noted that many of the Highland Scots fled Scotland when the British Army forced the depopulation of the highlands as punishment for the efforts of Prince Charles Edward Stuart ( The Bonnie Prince ) to conquer England with the help of his highland clansmen. Most of the Highland Scots settled in the Upper Cape Fear Valley including the renowned Flora MacDonald. However she returned home because she could not support the American Revolution.
Supporting the 1739 immigration date of John Williams is the tombstone near Eastover of John's grandson Thomas Williams which gives birth date of 17 May 1765. The settlement of the estate of Katherine Williams widow of Captain John "She" Williams ( son of John ) in 1823 states Mary Williams daughter was given a slave in 1768. Robert Williams son of Captain John Williams married Barbary Culbreth on 02 June 1772 by Bond in Duplin County.
John Williams from Wales was the initiator of the family line of Williams that populated the Western part of Sampson County and the Eastern part of Cumberland County until the arrival of Robert Williams from Dobbs County in the mid 1750's. Robert settled in the Western part of what was then and is now Duplin County. This would have been just North and West of the present day Kenansville. The descendants from Robert moved into Eastern Sampson County and into Wayne, Bladen, and New Hanover Counties. George Robert Williams a descendant of Robert Williams of Duplin County in early 1800 married Sarah Jane Williams, descendant of John Williams of Dismal Township.
Katherine Galbraith b: ABT 1720 in New Hanover County, North Carolina
in Duplin County, North Carolina 1
- Daughter Williams b: in Duplin County, North Carolina
- **Capt. John C. (She) Williams b: ABT 1745 in Duplin/New Hanover County/Craven County, North Carolina
- Robert Williams , Sr. b: ABT 1750 in Duplin County, North Carolina
- Thomas Williams b: ABT 1754 in Duplin County, North Carolina
- Daniel Williams b: BEF 1755 in Duplin County, North Carolina
- Title: Coharie to Cape Fear, Descendants of John Williams and Katharine Galbreth by John C. Rosser; John Rosser, Publisher, Godwin, NC