Name: William LAWSON
Birth: ABT 1802 in Tennessee
Death: AFT 1880 in Big Flat, Baxter County, Arkansas
Burial: Big Flat Cemetery, Baxter County, Arkansas
Not sure this person is a son of Elizabeth Lawson of St. Clair County, but have been unable to fit him in other Lawson families in the area.
At the sale of the inventory of Reuben Washburn, 2 December 1826, William Lawson purchased 1 cow and calf for $10.00. The others listed in the sale were George Thasher, John Washburn, Betsey Copeland and Elijah Hanison who were legators of the estate. Was William related in some way?
William Lawson is enumerated in the 1830 McNairy County, Tennessee Census, page 134. In his household are 2 males under 5; 2 males 20-30; 1 female 15-20; 1 female 20-30; and 1 female 50-60. If this is our William then there are two families living together and Mahala would be the female 15-20 years. There would be a second married couple (maybe) that has two boys under 5 years. The older woman could be William’s mother, Elizabeth? Elias Mackey is also enumerated in the 1830 McNairy County, Tennessee Census, page 129. His age fits with the 1850 Arkansas Census.
There is also a William Lawson and Elias Mackey listed in the 1832 McNairy County, Tennessee Tax list.
In the 1840 Census, it looks like Elias Machey had moved to Arkansas and William Lawson to Mississippi. Elias is in the 1840 Poinsett County, Arkansas Census with a John and Thomas Mackey living next door to him. By 1850 William and Mahala (Mackey) Lawson have joined them.
There is a William Lawson family living next door to the families of Daniel and Jincy Lawson in the 1840 Tishomingo County, Mississippi Census. In the family there is 1 male under 5 years, 2 males 5-10 years, 1 male 30-40 years, 3 females under 5 years, 1 female 5-10 years and 1 female 30-40 years. He was also in the 1841 and 1845 Tishomingo County, Mississippi Tax List.
William and Mahalark (Mahaley) Lawson are enumerated in the 1850 Greenfield Field Township, Poinsett County, Arkansas Census with much the same family as the William in Tishomingo County, Mississippi. His age is given as 40 years and born in Tennessee. Elias Mackey, age 48 years and born in Kentucky is living 5 households from William. Elias is married to a Sarah A., age 44 years and born in Georgia. Mackey researchers have indicated this is Malaha’s brother. Also there is a Thomas Mackey, age 27 years and born in Alabama and a William Mackey, age 32 years and born in Tennessee. These could be Elias’ children or other relatives of Malaha’s.
William Lawson of Poinsett County, Arkansas received a patent 1 July 1859 for 80 acres of land, land description, NESW, Section 25, Township 14-N, Range 3-E and SESE, Township 14N, Range 3-E, both in Craighead County, Arkansas.
William and Mahaley Lawson are enumerated in the 1860 Craighead County, Arkansas Census. Part of Poinsett County became Craighead County before the 1860 Census. His age is given as 52 years and nothing was entered for where he was born.
William Lawson is enumerated in the 1880 Sylamore Township, Stone County, Arkansas Census. His age is given as 75 years and born in Tennessee.
Mother: Elizabeth (LAWSON) b: ca 1770-1780
Mahala MACKEY b: ABT 1811 in Kentucky
- Mary Catherine 'Polly' LAWSON b: ABT 1830 in McMinn County, Tennessee
- Morgan Morris LAWSON b: MAY 1834 in Alabama Or Tennessee
- Sargeant LAWSON b: ABT 1836 in Iuka, Tishomingo County, Mississippi
- Martin V. LAWSON b: ABT 1838 in Iuka, Tishomingo County, Mississippi
- Martha Susan LAWSON b: 1840 in Iuka, Tishomingo County, Mississippi
- Mahala LAWSON b: ABT 1841 in Iuka, Tishomingo County, Mississippi
- Celia LAWSON b: 17 OCT 1838 in Jonesboro, Craighead County, Arkansas
- Rebecca A. LAWSON b: 1843 in Jonesboro, Craighead County, Arkansas
- Rachiel LAWSON b: ABT 1844 in Gibson Switch, Poinsett County, Arkansas
- Hannah Roxanne ‘Anna’ LAWSON b: 15 NOV 1845 in Jonesboro, Craighead County, Arkansas
- Benjamin Calvin LAWSON b: ABT 1846 in Jonesboro, Craighead County, Arkansas
- Robert LAWSON b: ABT 1848 in Jonesboro, Craighead County, Arkansas
- John H. LAWSON b: ABT 1849 in Jonesboro, Craighead County, Arkansas
- James Ferguson LAWSON b: 8 MAR 1851 in Jonesboro, Craighead County, Arkansas
- Alice LAWSON b: JUN 1852 in Jonesboro, Craighead County, Arkansas
- Matilda Jane ‘Tidly’ LAWSON b: 12 DEC 1856 in Jonesboro, Craighead County, Arkansas
- William M. ‘Bill’ LAWSON b: 25 APR 1857 in Jonesboro, Craighead County, Arkansas
- Rosaline I. ‘Rose’ LAWSON b: 18 MAY 1858 in Jonesboro, Craighead County, Arkansas