Name: Joseph ATKINS
Birth: 5 MAY 1814 in Laurens County, South Carolina
Death: 26 JUL 1898 in Walker County, Alabama
Burial: McDade Cemetery, Near Carbon Hill, Walker Co., Alabama
Joseph Atkins is enumerated in the 1840 Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Census. In his household are 2 males under 5, 1 male 20-30, 1 female under 5 and 1 female 20-30 years.
Joseph and Mary Atkins are enumerated in the 1850 Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Census. His age is given as 38 years and born in South Carolina.
Joseph and Mary Adkin are enumerated in the 1860 Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Census. His age is give as 47 years and born in South Carolina.
Joseph and Sarah Adkins are enumerated in the 1870 Post Office Jasper, Township 14, Walker County, Alabama Census. His age is given as 62 years and born in Georgia.
Joseph and Sarah Adkins are enumerated in the 1880 Beat 7 & 5, Township 14, Range 8, Walker County, Alabama Census. His age is given as 62 years and born in South Carolina. A Elizabeth Swindle, age 53 years, born in South Carolina is enumerated in his household. It indicates she is a sister-in-law.
Joseph Atkins Sr. was born in South Carolina on 5 May 1814. His wife Sarah, who is buried beside him in McDade Cemetery, is probably his second wife. The story is told that he and his first wife sold their farm in Tuscaloosa just before the Civil War for Confederate money and moved in with relatives in Walker County. Mary (Frances?) died on the road and was buried between Tuscaloosa and Walker counties. Joseph joined the Confederate Army and is recorded in the Greene County reserves (local defense) and has "Governor's Transfer" written on his record. After the war, he is listed in the 1870 census as having a farm in Walker County valued at $1,000.
George Atkins , Joseph's son, told his relatives that during the Civil War the Yankee soldiers came through and killed a colt he had raised and stole food or destroyed crops until they even picked up grains of corn out of dirt to eat.
In the book, Records of Walker Co., Alabama, Collected by Florence Knight Guttery, and compiled and published, Oklahoma City, Ok., by Inez Boswell Beggerstaff, it stated that a Joseph Atkins aged 62 years residing at Beach Grove in Walker County, Alabama and Sarah Atkins aged 47 years, residing at Beach Grove got married 3 October, 1872.
Father: Thomas ATKINS b: ABT 1770 in South Carolina
Mother: Elizabeth CREED b: ABT 1774 in South Carolina
Mary "Polly" CHRISTIAN b: 16 OCT 1816 in South Carolina
14 JAN 1835
in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
- Susan Savannah ATKINS b: 10 NOV 1836 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
- Abraham "Abe" ATKINS b: 5 MAY 1839 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
- James M. ATKINS b: 22 JAN 1841 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
- Anna Jane ATKINS b: 4 NOV 1843 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
- Robert Morris ATKINS b: 12 FEB 1845 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
- Lewis Thomas ATKINS b: 15 JAN 1845 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
- Elizabeth 'Bets' ATKINS b: 14 SEP 1849 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
- John Cranford ATKINS b: 14 JUN 1849 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
- George Washington ATKINS b: 3 MAY 1852 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
- Emanuel ATKINS b: MAY 1856 in Alabama
- Benjamin Franklin ATKINS b: 31 MAY 1857 in Northport, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
Sarah WADE b: 30 SEP 1831 in Alabama
26 JUL 1865
in Walker County, Alabama
- Joseph ATKINS b: 13 JUN 1866 in Beach Grove, Walker County, Alabama
- William Columbus ATKINS b: 19 AUG 1868 in Beach Grove, Walker County, Alabama
- Text: Atkins Family History - From George Washington and Sarah Atkins and Allied Families History, assembled by Rev. McCoy Guthrie, 3229 Sunrise Drive, Guntersivlle, Alabama, 35976. Phone (205) 582-6295.