Name: Daniel McCann
Birth: 26 JAN 1816 in Wayne, Adams Co., OH
Burial: O'Neill Creek Cemetery
Death: 02 OCT 1890 in Chippewa Falls, Chippewa Co., WI 1 of Stomach Cancer
Timeline for Daniel McCann
In 1839, Daniel joined his brother Stephen in the Chippewa Valley, and built his home on the flat about Frenette's Lake, about 1 1/2 miles north of Jim Falls.
Daniel appears in the 1842 Census for Crawford County.
The McCann brothers built the first mill in the area, the Blue Mill, in 1843. Later known as Badger Mills, located on Lake Hallie.
In the 1850 Census for Chippewa Co., WI, Daniel age 35 and his wife Margaret age 25 are living in Eau Claire, with four of their children, John age 7, Lizette age 5, Daniel age 3, and Margaret age 1.
On Apr 30, 1854, H. S. Allen sold 88 acres, on lots 3 and 4, Section 20, Twp. 30, Range 7W, for $110 to Daniel McCann, who then built a log home along the river north of Jim Falls. This was the very first record entered at the Register of Deeds Office, in Chippewa Falls.
In 1855, James Ermatinger, Henry O'Neil and Daniel McCann were appointed to lay out a road to Vermillion Falls.
Daniel appears in the 1855 Census for Eagle Point, Chippewa County, WI.
Dec 15, 1855, Daniel received a land patent for 48 acres in Chippewa County, WI.
In Jan 1856, Daniel was issued a tavern license for $30, permitting him to cater to the river travelors. Daniel was one of the first farmers of Chippewa Valley and entered in the first county fair with his peerless potatoes and squash.
In the 1860 Census for Chippewa County, Daniel McCann age 44 and his wife Margaret age 38 are living in Eagle Point with seven of their children, John age 15, Margaret age 14, Emily age 8 or 9, Daniel age 6, Louisa age 5, Adeline age 2 or 3, and Clarinda age 5 months. Also living in the household is Margaret's niece, Rachel Warner age 7.
Although Daniel was slightly crippled from a childhood injury and could not serve in the Civil War, he was the original owner of Old Abe, the famous battle eagle. A newly formed company of volunteer soldiers was about to leave the area, so Daniel offered the eagle to the regiment as a mascot. The eagle was sworn into the service, and the company led by Captain Jack E. Perkins, became known as the Eau Claire Eagles.
In the 1870 Census for Chippewa County, Daniel McCann age 53 and his wife Margaret age 50 are living in Eagle Point, with three of their children, Emily age 18, Daniel age 17, Louisa age 15, Adeline age 12, Clarinda age 9, James age 7, William H. age 4, and Peter age 2.
Daniel appears in the 1875 Census for Eagle Point, Chippewa County, WI.
In the 1880 Census for Chippewa County, Daniel McCann age 64 and his wife Margaret age 58 were living in Eagle Point with three of their children, James age 17, William H. (Henry) age 13, and Peter U. age 11.
Daniel McCann died Oct 2, 1890 in Chippewa Falls, Chippewa Co., WI, from cancer of the stomach at age 74. The funeral services were held by the Methodist church and he is buried in O'Neill Creek Cemetery in Eagleton. His estate was settled on Sep 20, 1899, with his son Henry McCann as petitioner. Eleven heirs each received 1/11 of his property. J. E. Pannier was residing judge.
Father: Arthur McCann b: BET 1784 AND 1789 in PA
Mother: Barbary Smith b: 1785 in PA
Margaret LaPointe b: 01 JAN 1820 in Red River settlement, Manitoba, Canada
21 DEC 1838
in Prairie du Chien, Crawford Co., WI 2
- Peter Ulysses McCann b: 08 AUG 1868 in Jim Falls, Chippewa Co., WI
- Henry William McCann b: 11 MAR 1866 in Jim Falls, Chippewa Co., WI
- Daniel McCann b: 1847 in Chippewa Co., WI
- John McCann b: 1842 in Chippewa Co., WI
- Lizette McCann b: 1845 in Chippewa Co., WI
- Emily McCann b: 17 FEB 1852 in Eagle Point, Chippewa Co., WI
- Daniel W. McCann b: 17 DEC 1853 in Jim Falls, Chippewa Co., WI
- Louisa Anna McCann b: 03 OCT 1855 in Jim Falls, Chippewa Co., WI
- Adaline McCann b: 24 MAR 1857 in Jim Falls, Chippewa Co., WI
- Clarinda "Clara" McCann b: 08 MAR 1860 in Jim Falls, Chippewa Co., WI
- James Arthur McCann b: 28 JAN 1863 in Jim Falls, Chippewa Co., WI
- Margaret Barbara McCann b: 01 JAN 1844 in Prairie du Chien, Crawford Co., WI
- George McCann b: 1840 in Chippewa Co., WI
- Mary Louise McCann b: 27 NOV 1849 in Chippewa Co., WI
- Josephine McCann b: 1836 in Chippewa Co., WI
- Kate McCann b: 1843 in Chippewa Co., WI
- Title: Certificate of Death for Daniel McCann
Certificate of Death for Daniel McCann, Source Medium: Book
Page: Register of Deeds, Chippewa Co., WI
- Title: Married by J. H. Lockwood, Justice of the peace
Married by J. H. Lockwood, Justice of the peace., Source Medium: Other