Name: William Stamper
Birth: 27 MAR 1774 in Granville County, North Carolina
Death: 30 APR 1852 in Morgan County, Kentucky Stamper Cemetery
William Stamper was a farmer, trapper, hunter, and trader. Born in North Carolina. He migrated from the area of North Carolina to Kentucky, and settled on Rockhouse Creek in Southeastern Kentucky, Perry County. He was magistrate and Sherriff of Perry County. Rockhouse Creek became Letcher County, Kentucky in 1842. Williams son John Whitt was the first tax assessor of the new county. Married Emily Polly After 1843 William and Emily moved to Morgan County, Kentucky. William died in 1852 and is buried at Stamper Cemetery. Emily died in 1850 and is also buried at Stamper Cemetery.
Sources: . History of Letcher County, Kentucky and Letcher Co's Methodist Heritage, The Mountain Eagle newspaper
Information on William Stamper came from the East Ky page 9, 1-4 1965-1969. Ky. Vol 1#2 September 1965
The Researcher of this information Carolyn Wilson Dyer suggests there is always possibility of error in any research materials.
She suggests your use this information as a guide to conducting your own research on the Stamper surname.
Emily Millie Polly b: 2 AUG 1778 in North Carolina
- James B. Stamper b: 13 DEC 1797 in Letcher County, Kentucky
- Sarah Stamper b: 15 NOV 1799 in North Carolina
- Martha Stamper b: 28 FEB 1801 in Perry County, Kentucky
- Rachel Stamper b: FEB 1803 in Perry County, Kentucky
- Hiram H. Stamper b: 19 APR 1806 in Perry County, Kentucky
- John Whit Stamper b: 28 MAY 1808 in Perry County, Kentucky
- Isom Stamper b: 1809 in Virginia
- Elizabeth Stamper b: 16 JAN 1811 in Perry County, Kentucky
- Bealinda Stamper b: 23 MAY 1813 in Perry County, Kentucky
- Isaac Daniel Stamper b: 19 SEP 1816 in Perry County, Kentucky
- Nancy Stamper b: 19 SEP 1816 in Perry County, Kentucky
- William Buckner Stamper b: 1 MAY 1820 in Perryr County, Kentucky
- Mary Polly Stamper b: 20 APR 1823 in Perry County, Kentucky