Name: Sarah Stokes 1 2 3
Reference Number: 6051
Birth: 17 OCT 1794 2
Name also seen as Sallie.
NC Highway Marker application - Caswell County (prepared by Zeke and Sallie Anderson) 29 February 1992
Robert A. Gatewood's will written 15 July 1871 and probated the same year left his wife a life estate and his two sons Charles F. and Robert W. "Whit" were to divide the year's crop of tobacco equally. The several daughters were to receive all my interest in the lands of my mother, Sally A. Gatewood. After "Whit's" lifelong residence at the old home on what is now SR 1503 (the Walters Mill Road) the property was sold to Edward Willis Carter a cousin and W. A. Turner, for a then substantial amount.
Whit Gatewood's deed was signed 29 December 1920 - Charles Clay Gatewood and wife Florine (Gatewood) Gatewood; Annie Lou Gatewood Carter and husband Harvey Brooks Carter; Sue Gatewood; William Voss Gatewood and Willie Elizabeth Hatchett "Bettie" - Whit's widow.
Note - sold for $6,255.30 - 71.90 acres more or less.
Father: Sylvanus Stokes b: 16 AUG 1774
Mother: Nancy Price b: 7 MAR 1774
Lewis Gatewood b: 24 OCT 1785
1 FEB 1811
in Caswell County, North Carolina 1 2 3
Marriage Bond Record
Groom: Lewis Gatewood
Bride: Sally Stokes (daugter of Silvs. Stokes)
Bond Date: 1 February 1811
Bondsman/Witness: Contract Between Gatewood & Stokes
Location: Caswell County, North Carolina
Source: Caswell County, North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1778-1868, Katharine Kerr Kendall (1981) at 36.
- Anne E. Gatewood b: 26 JUN 1812
- Sylvanus A. Gatewood b: 25 DEC 1814
- Robert Allen Gatewood b: 18 JUL 1818 in Caswell County, North Carolina
- William Henry Gatewood b: 7 MAR 1821 in North Carolina
- Susan Mary Gatewood b: 13 APR 1823 in North Carolina
- Martha Gatewood b: 21 APR 1829
- Elvira Gatewood b: 1831
- Mary A. Gatewood b: 27 JAN 1832
- Lewis Gatewood b: 17 JUN 1834
- Details: Burton and Allied Families
- Details: The Heritage of Caswell County, North Carolina, Jeannine D. Whitlow, Editor (1985) at 225-226 (Article #244 "Dudley Gatewood" by Lucy Gatewood Brincefield)
- Details: Caswell County, North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1778-1868, Katharine Kerr Kendall (1981) at 36