Name: Elijah Smith
Given Name: Elijah
Birth: 1812/1813 in , , Tennessee
Death: BEF Sep 1873 in , Scott, Tennessee
Debbie Reynolds -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Change Date: 5 Dec 2011 at 08:50:56
1830 Fentress Co, TN census???
1833 Fentress Co, TN tax list Elijah Smith.
1840 Fentress Co, TN census Elijah Smith 20-30 b. 1810-1820; 30001-11001; Page 12.
1860 Scott Co TN Census Elijah Smith 47 TN b. 1812-1813; P058-30 SMITH -District #1, PO Huntsville, Scott Co, Tenn., July 5, 1860- 393/ 365.
1870 Scott Co, TN census Elijah Smith 57 TN b. 1812-1813; page 4 line 7 #22/22; 3 Jun 1870.
1880 Scott Co, TN census Nancy Smith 62 TN/TN/TN b. 1817-1818; Big South Fork; FHL film 1255277, NA film T9-1277, pag 208C.
Here is a land record showing that Elijah Smith had died by 1873. it is dated Sept. 5,1873 Heirs of Elijah Smith to James Smith; John and Elizabeth (Slaven) Smith; Wm. and Eliza Smith; William and Patsy Pennington.as witness, also WM. R.Hatfield, Jonathan Burke and Peter burke, 100 acres on station camp creek bought in 1872 by JamesSmith, To,Henly Blevins north of Big South Fork between George Pennington to Elijah Smith east to the river, south to Armp Blevins 75 acres for $102. 00, Witt. Wm. R. Hatfield and Jonathan Burke ; signed by James Smith; Elijah Smith; Nancy F.Smith; William Smith; Erie Smith, James and Harmon Smith.
1840 1850 1860 1870
Elijah Smith 20-30 47 TN 57 TN 1812-1813
Nancy Smith 20-30 44 TN 54 TN 1815-1816
daughter 5-10 1830/35
son 0- 5 1835/40
Sarrah Smith 0- 5 24 TN 1835-1836
William Smith 0- 5 22 TN 1837-1838
James Smith 0- 5 22 TN 1837-1838
Emberson Smith 16 TN 1843-1844
Arrah Smith (m) 15 TN 1844-1845
Margrette Smith 13 TN 19 TN 1846-1851 (Patsy in 1870)
Eligah Smith 11 TN 16 TN 1848-1854
Harmon Smith 4 TN 13 TN 1855-1857
James Smith 2 TN 1857-1858
Nancy J. Smith 1 TN 10 TN 1858-1860
*Are these children or grandchildren?
From the 1830 census we know at least Willaim, James, Emberson, and Sarah were born in Fentress. We can also assume Arrah (Ary a daughter) and Margaret was born in Fentress Co, TN because she was born about 1847.
The rest were probably born in Scott Co, TN
Jean Burke to Debbie Reynolds: Dec. 16,1861, Anderson Smith, Elijah Smith, James Smith, Thomas Smith sells to F.E. Goodwell; ( would this imply they were all brothers and heirs of the land?) Mar. 4.1861 Henry Smith sells 50 acres to Harmon Burke, and 300 acres to Haden Burke. April 17, 1857 C. Smith was witness to land of Peter Burke. 1873 John and Elizabeth Slaven, Wm. and Eliza Smith, Samuel Smith and Sarah Smith were in the heirs of Elijah Smith.Jan. 4,1861 Henry Smith and wife Creasy sold 400 acres to Haden Burke wittn. John Smith and Benjamin Smith. (Do you suppose Elijah was brother to Anderson, and Nancy may have been from the Henry and John Smith family?) Jean Burke
Received from Debbie Reynolds: "Elijah and Nancy Smith lived on Laurel Fork Creek, and are buried at the fork bottom near the forks of Station Camp Creek, Scott Co., TN. Children: Patsy, b. 1841, md. William P. Pennington; Sarah, b. 1836 md Samuel Smith; William b. 1838 md. Jane Hammock; Erie, b. 1847, d. 24 April 1919 md Granville Slaven; Margaret b. 1847; Elijah b. 1849 md Thirzy Wood; Harmon b. 1855 d. 1938 md Rhoda Foster b. 1850 d. 1926." From "Memoirs of Station camp, Scott Co., TN" by Jean Burke, Oneida, TN.Granville Slaven, son of Anna Slaven, father unknown.
Please note there are many errors in the following article.
Early settlers in the Big South Fork region of Station Camp, From The Independent Herald, Thursday, July 12, 1984. By Lillard Terry
One of the oldest settlements in Scott County was the settlement along the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River in the vicinity of Station Camp, No Business and Parch Corn creeks.
The first census of Scott County in 1850 showed 126 residents of Station Camp. At that time Station Camp and the adjacent communities had been active for many years.
Those early settlers and their descendents inhabited that region for more than a hundred years. At one time there were several business enterprizes and a post office there. The post office was listed as "Elva" Tennessee and mail was delivered their by horseback. This post office continued beyond the 1930s.
This settlement had its beginning even before the lands were legally acquired form the Cherokees. A few settlers some of whom had traveled this territory as long hunters and scouts, returned with Families to homestead here.
The section, which became known as Station Camp, was at the confluence of at least three old Indian trails.
The rock house near there was a much-used natural shelter and meeting place for the Indians.
The trail most used by the settlers, which led from Huntsville, across Station Camp and No Business to the vicinity of Monticello, Kentucky came to be know as the Huntsville - Monticello Pike and was used by the Indians long before the white man arrived here.
At a day and time when long hunters, traders and explorers traveled that route, a man named Richard Harve Slaven brought his Indian wife and homesteaded there. He built and equipped a supply store near the mouth of the creek where the trail crossed and his establishment became a poplar stopover camp for travelers-hence, the name Station Camp. It is said that Parch Corn creek was so named because the Indians met and parched corn there.
The story goes that No Business Creek got its name because the Indians killed two early surveryors there and it was said they had no business there.
The last of the warring Cherokees-under Chief Doublehead - relinquished their remaining claim by the Tellico Treaty of 1805 and by the end of the first quarter of the nineteenth century, several settlers had established homes in the river valley. This settlement, about halfway between Huntsville and Monticello, was convenient for its inhabitants, many of whom had relatives in both areas before Scott County came to be many of these settlers conducted their business at the Wayne County, Ky. courthouse rather than having to travel to Jacksboro, (Besides, the Tennessee-Kentucky line was a bit ambiguous in those early days), so many of the early records are in Wayne County.
Anderson Smith, born around 1800, was one of the early settlers in that vicinity. He and his wife, Sally (and also his brother, Sam), settled on Laurel Fork Creek. (Laurel Fork runs into Station Camp Creek near the South Fork River). Anderson and Sally had seven children; they were Betty , William , David , Samuel , George , Absolom and John B. After Anderson died, at the age of 90, Sally married Sam. They had no children, as both were well up in years by that time.
The daughter, Betty, married John Blevins, son of Armpstead and Marjorie Carson Blevins. They had no children. Armpstead Blevins was the son of Johnson Blevins, another of the first settlers in that area.
Anderson's son David married Amanda Litton. Daughter of Littleton and Poppy Coyle Litton.
They had six children; namely, Betty , Mary , Lithia , Millie , Absalom , and Calvin Smith.
John B. Smith married Mandy Smith. They had five children; Emma , Preston , Arowin , William , Absalom.
Emma , the daughter of John B. and Mandy married Diance Burke. When their first child was born, both mother and baby died.
In the 1890s, the Anderson Smith family left Laurel fork and Slade Blevins and his wife, Polly Crabtree moved there.(Slade was the son of Armpstead and his second wife, Helen Terry Blevins).
Slade Blevins and Polly raised eleven children there. (This land was later purchased by Isaac M. King, son of Kirby and Nancy Hatfield King).
Another Family of Smiths lived near the Chimney Rock. It is not known what relation, if any; they were to the Anderson Smith Family. One of these was Nancy Smith. No information is available as to Nancy's husband or who her parents were.
She had seven children; Nancy Jane, John, William, Betty, Elijah, James and Harmon.
Some of Nancy's children were born during the Civil War years, so it is reasonable to believe she was born around 1840. Her daughter, Nancy Jane, married Andrew Litton, son of Littleton and Poppy Coyle Litton.
Her children were Savannah, Betty, Alta and Sherman. Nancy's son John, was born in 1866, married Polly Ann Blevins. Their children were Jacob, Alfred, Henry, Anse, Betty, Nancy, Lady, Sam, Fred and Kernellon.
John owned and operated a farm on the bottomlands along the east bank of the Big south Fork River at Stephens Shoals. Although this farm has been abandoned for many years, the ''old John Smith place'' is still a well-known landmark along the River.
John Smith was a colorful character, to say the least, and a sizable and interesting book could be written about him and his children. (Jack, Alfred, Fred and Kernellon would each rate a long chapter).
Nancy's son, Elijah, married Thirza Wood and to them were born fourteen children; Alfred , Alvis , Alvin, Alvan ,Calvin , Harmon , Isaac , Rosie , Ella , Sarah , Erie , Emily and one other. Elijah and Thirza, through these children, became the ancestors of a large number of descendents in this region.
Dewey Pennington, Levi Smith, and Clyde Smith are their grandchildren. Mayor Denzil Pennington of Oneida is a great-grandson of this couple. Nancy's daughter, Betty, married John Slaven. Their children were Elijah, William, Harve and Alvis. Nancy's son Harmon married Rhonda Foster, daughter of Parton Foster- one of the first settlers in Oneida. Harmon and Rhonda?s children were William Isaac, and Jim Patton Smith. Nancy's son, William, born about 1863, married Jane Hammock. Their children were Martha, Polly, Sally, Verna, Flora and Mary.
A tract of land between Parch Corn and No Business Creeks was settled in the latter part of the 1800s by Cal Terry and his wife, Rosie Blevins Terry. Their children were Theodore, fredcrick, Sidney, Elmer, Connie and Omah. Connie married Will Hayden Burke, son of Lewis and Mary Smith Burke.
Within a year of their marriage, she, along with her newborn, died in childbirth. Both mother and infant were buried in the cemetery at Williams Creek.
Other families who were prominent in the early days of these settlements were Boyatt, Roysden, Slaven, Miller, Watson, Blevins, Burke, Terry, Litton, King, Pennington and Hatfield.
France M. Miller figures as an ancestor of many of the Millers in this County. (The name, Miller in those early days was more commonly known as Milligan).
France was born in November 1856, some five years before the start of the Civil War. His father, Tom, and his brother were killed in the War. (Some stories say they were killed near Chattanooga, but members of that family say they were killed at Burnside, KY.) Young France grew up without a father. His mother was Margaret Ann Milligan Miller. France married Elizabeth Spradling and to them were born eight children; namely: George , John , Mary , Emily , Will J., Vickie , Reason and a daughter, born in 1879, who died as an infant.
(Lillard and Leonard Miller are grandsons of France and Elizabeth Spradling Miller). France was an industrious man and, around 1895, he purchased land from Isaac Burke, son of Hayden and Nancy Lewallen Burke, and on this land he built two dwelling houses, a Schoolhouse and a Grocery Store. The Store also Housed the Elva Post Office. One of the Houses France built was occupied by his son, Reason, and his wife, Florence Litton Miller. France served as the Elva Postmaster for a number of years and his son, Reason, rode Horseback to pick up the mail in Oneida. Reason died at a young age and his place was sold to his brother, Will J. Miller and he lived there for many years afterwards. France Miller died at No Business in May 1948, at the age of 92.
Johnson Blevins, ancestor of many of the Blevinses in this area, settled on Parch Corn Creek about the year1815. He built a Log House there, which was home to four generations of the Blevinses. Johnson's son, Armpstead, lived there, as well as Armp's son, Jacob, and this house was home to the locally well- known, W.H. "Houston" Blevins. (Armpstead's second wife, Helen Terry Blevins, died there in 1913 at the age of 81 and was buried in the Family Cemetery at Parch Corn Creek).
Around 1820 the Burkes came here from Virginia and settled in the valley of Big South Fork of the Cumberland River. Allen and Peter Burke settled with their families on Rock Creek in Wayne County, KY. Their brothers Jonathan and Hudson settled on the Tennessee side. Hudson and his wife, Mary Hardin, had no children.
Jonathan Burke became the ancestor of all of the Burkes in Scott County. He and his wife, Nancy Cooper Burke. Settled on a 100-acre Tellico Land Grant between Parch Corn and No Business Creeks on the West side of the River near the rapids known as Duck Shoals. Jonathan's wife Nancy was the daughter of Isaac Cooper of Wayne County, Ky. They were married in March 1820. Nancy's mother was of Indian ancestry. (Some old narratives refer to her as Nancy McCoy. It is not clear how this mix-up in names came about). Jonathan and Nancy had ten children; Peter (b.1821); Elizabeth (b.1823); Hayden (b.1828); Granville (b.1830); Harmon (b.1834); Polly (b.1835); John (b.1837); Sarah (b.1838); Lewis (b.1840); and William (b.1849). Their daughter, Elizabeth (Betty), married William Riley Hatfield. They had eight children; Harmon , Granville, John G. , Lewis , William ,Clay , Nancy Ellen , Betty and Telitla. (Betty and Telitla married brothers Tom and Phil Davis). Nancy Ellen married Kirby King.
Hayden Burke married Nancy Lewallen; daughter of John and Delilah Reed Lewallen. They had eight children; Luverna (b. 1863), who married Allen Reed; John (b.1865), who married Phebe Melvina Humley. Lewis (b. 1867), who married Mary Smith Blevins. Isaac (b. 1868), who married Nancy Pennington (His second wife was Netha Roysden); William (b.1870), who married Easter Foster. Simon Peter (b.1876), who married Mary Smith, Mary Slaven Ledford and Savannah Smith Emerson; Louellen (b.1872), who married Robert Smith Roberts; and Harmon (b. Feb., 1879), who married Nancy Jane Smith, Electric "Lectie" Terry and Josie Winchester.
Nancy Lewallen Burke died in Oklahoma of childbirth complications after Harmon was born.
Harmon's second wife, Lectie Terry, died in childbirth. Both she and the infant died and were buried in the Cemetery at Black Oak. Lectie Terry was the daughter of Miles Terry. (Miles Terry, my great-grandfather, was the grandson of Josiah and Nancy Stephens Terry, early pioneers in the settlement of Oneida).
Jonathan's oldest son, Peter, married Susan Miller. They had no children. Peter was a Blacksmith and made Knives, Farming tools, etc. He also made combs, buttons, and knife handles by boiling cow horns until they were soft, then cutting them to the desired share.
After the death of his wife, Susan, Peter married Louisa (or Eliza Ann) Lewallen, daughter of John and Delilah Reed Lewallen. Louisa was the younger sister of Nancy Lewallen, the wife of Hayden. Peter was 28 years older than Louisa. In 1889, Peter, Louisa and Peter's mother, Nancy Cooper Burke, as well as several other local Families, traveled to Oklahoma by wagon train. (This was the second exodus from this area to Oklahoma. The other was in 1878). Peter and Louisa had eight children; Mary Etta , Zeda , Thurman , Seigel , Peter , Willie , Sarah and Mae. Harmon , John and Lewis all served in the Army during the Civil War. John became a Captain.
About a mile above the Burke farm was the Homestead of Nimrod Slaven and his wife, Millie Roysden. They had eleven children; Dewey, Polly, Ellen, Louise, Reason, John Calvin, Roscoe, Dillie, Harve, Poppy and Frona. Millie was the daughter of Jesse and Thema Terry Roysden. She was the granddaughter of Josiah and Nancy Stephens Terry.
The descendants of these early Families are now scattered all over the Country. At this day and time, there are no inhabitants left in the once booming communities of Station Camp, No Business and Parch Corn Creek. The land has been taken in by The Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. The bottomland fields, where rows of lush, green corn once waved under the summer breezes and where the wiry Farmer once plodded along behind a mule and a bull-tongue plow, are now Being taken back by the natural growth of briars, bushes and weeds. Many of these fields have already reverted to the forest, but the memories of the hardy people who once inhabited the regions still haunt the valleys and hills there and this craggy chasm of the South fork has an aura that leads one's imagination back to a day when life was harsh, yet simple.
Father: Smith b: ABT 1763
Nancy Smith b: 1815/1816 in , , Tennessee
- Sarah Smith b: 1834/1835 in , Fentress, Tennessee
- William Smith b: 1837/1838 in , Fentress, Tennessee
- James Smith b: 1837/1838 in , Fentress, Tennessee
- Emberson Smith b: 1843/1844 in , , Tennessee
- Arrah Smith b: 1844/1845 in , , Tennessee
- Margrette Smith b: 1846/1847 in , , Tennessee
- Elijah Smith b: 1852/1853 in , , Tennessee
- Harmon Smith b: 1855/1856 in , Scott, Tennessee
- Nancy Jane Smith (granddaughter) b: 1858/1859 in , Scott, Tennessee
- James Smith (grandson) b: 1857/1858 in , Scott, Tennessee