Name: Richard Hale
Birth: 28 FEB 1717 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
Occupation: Prosperous farmer/
Religion: Church deacon/
Migrated 2 1746 to Coventry, CT from Newbury, MA
Distinction Untiring patriot
Death: 1802 in Coventry, Tolland, Connecticut, USA
Descendants of Richard Hale
Contributed by John Williams of Redmond, WA firstname.lastname@example.org
1  Richard Hale 1716/17 - 1802.. m. Abigale Adams
*2nd Wife of  Richard Hale: .. m. Elizabeth Strong 1726/27 - 1767
......... 2 Richard Jr Hale - 1793
............. +Mary Wright 1756 - 1820
......... 2 Samuel Hale 1747 - 1824
......... 2 John Hale 1748 - 1802
............. +Sarah Adams 1753 - 1803
......... 2 Joseph Hale 1749/50 - 1784
............. +Rebecca Harris 1749 - 1814
......... 2  Elizabeth Hale 1750/51 - 1813
............. +Dr. Samuel Rose 1748 - 1780
......... *2nd Husband of  Elizabeth Hale:
............. +John Taylor 1761 - 1810
......... 2 Enoch Hale 1753 - 1837
............. +Octavia Throop 1754 - 1839
......... 2 Capt. Nathan Hale 1755 - 1776
......... 2 Billey Hale 1759 - 1785
............. +Hannah Barker 1768 -
......... 2 Jonathan Hale 1761 - 1761
......... 2 David Hale 1761 - 1822
............. +Lydia Austin 1764 - 1849
......... 2 Joanna Hale 1764 - 1838
............. +Nathan Howard 1760 - 1838
......... 2 Susanna Hale 1766 - 1766
*3rd Wife of  Richard Hale: .. m. Abigail Cobb 1720 - 1809
Official Nathan Hale Website
Revolutionary War hero Nathan Hale whose legendary last words “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country” remain one of American history’s most remembered phrases, was born on this site in 1755. Surrounded by over 500 acres of forest and picturesque rural landscape, the present structure was built by the Hale family in 1776. The Georgian house reflected the newest ideas in refined country living. A 100-foot long lengthy ell projecting from the rear of this building is believed to incorporate portions of the original farmhouse in which Nathan grew up. Other building materials were also recycled into the new house before the old home was pulled down. Family records and archaeological evidence suggest the original home was just southeast of the 1776 house.
The Homestead Today
Today the Hale’s family home is a museum open seasonally for tours and education programs. The property is visited annually by around 3,500 people. Its mission is to preserve the legacy of Capt. Nathan Hale through education programs, living history experiences, and the interpretation of the site. With Capt. Nathan Hale’s 250th birthday coming up in 2006, Hale Homestead and its owner, the Antiquarian and Landmarks Society, are launching a campaign designed to develop the site into a year-round, full-service cultural heritage destination. For information on this plan, please call (860) 742-6917 or (860) 247-8996.
“No Man Ever Worked So Hard For Both Worlds”
The story of the Hale farm goes back over 250 years when Nathan’s father, Deacon Richard Hale (1717-1802), came to Coventry around 1740 from Newburyport, Massachusetts, and purchased 240 acres “with appurtenances thereof.”
In 1746 he married Elizabeth Strong (1727-1767) of a prominent Coventry family. The couple had 12 children in 19 years, ten of whom survived to adulthood. Eight were boys, all but two of whom would serve in the Revolution. In 1755, the year Richard and Elizabeth’s sixth child, Nathan, was born, Richard bought an additional seventy-seven acres, bringing the total to over 300 acres at a time when the average New England farm had about 150 acres.
The Hale farm not only encompassed growing fields but meadows, pastures, gardens, orchards, barns, sheds, a well, and a cider mill. Deacon Hale grew foodstuffs but was primarily a livestock producer, raising cattle, sheep, and pigs which he drove to markets at Norwich and New London. By the close of the 18th century, Hale Homestead encompassed a substantial 450 acres with several houses, barns, cider and lumber mills.
Nathan’s mother died after her 12th child was born and buried. Two years later, Deacon Richard Hale remarried, this time to a wealthy widow from Canterbury, Abigail (Cobb) Adams, who had seven children of her own. The three youngest accompanied her to Coventry.
Although many of the Hale and Adams children were grown, the combined family of parents and children totaled 19 people not including an ever-expanding number of grandchildren. Clearly a larger home was in order. “Work on the frame for the new house,” writes one of the Hale sons early that year. The family moved into their new home in October of 1776, a month after Nathan’s death, and finished it off as time permitted.
"Holy Grove and the Last Hales"
Deacon Richard Hale lived in this house until he died in 1802, succeeded by his son, John, who outlived his father by just six months. John had married his stepsister Sarah. The couple had no children and in an unusual arrangement for the time left all his real and personal estate to his wife. Sarah died the following year and the youngest son, David, assumed possession. David, a minister, taught school in the home for young boys and ran the family farm. His son planted a plantation of sugar maples in front of the house in 1812, nicknamed the Holy Grove because David Sr. held prayer meetings there. Many of trees are still standing today. The house was sold out of the family a few years after David’s death.
"The Mansion Becomes The Nathan Hale Homestead"
In 1914, a wealthy New Haven patent attorney and noted antiquarian purchased the vacant and neglected house in order to commemorate Hale’s heroic sacrifice. As a boy, George Dudley Seymour had read and reread Francis Miles Finch’s poem “Hale’s Fate and Fame” in school and became much intrigued with Nathan Hale’s story.
Over the years, Seymour did a great deal of research on Hale, publishing several books and numerous articles, collecting documents, artifacts, and finally buildings associated with his boyhood hero.
Seymour also commissioned a statue and was instrumental in having Nathan’s image placed on the half-cent postage stamp.
From his home in New Haven, Seymour directed the restoration of what had, even before the 1880s, become a dilapidated empty farmhouse with surrounding fields leased to neighborhood farmers. He furnished it with many Hale artifacts and period pieces. Seymour also collected the original 450-acre Hale farm plus more acreage, and planted it with a variety of native trees. Today this makes up the bulk of the Nathan Hale State Forest
Until his death in 1945, Seymour often opened “the Birthplace,” as he called it, though according to his distinct wishes, “never on Sundays.” Seymour bequeathed Hale Homestead to the Antiquarian & Landmarks Society, which he had helped to found. Since taking over the operation of the site, the Antiquarian and Landmarks Society has maintained Seymour’s basic restoration (though not his furnishings plan or interpretation). In 1995 A&L added a reconstruction of the Hale’s kitchen in the service wing of the structure in order to offer living history and hearth cooking programs
Father: Samuel Hale
Mother: Apphia Moody
Elizabeth Strong b: 02 FEB 1727 in Coventry, Tolland, Connecticut, USA
- Nathan Hale b: 06 JUN 1755 in Coventry, Tolland, Connecticut, USA
- Samuel Hale b: 1747
- Enoch Hale
- Richard Hale
- John Hale b: 1748
- Elizabeth Hale
Abigail Cobb b: 23 AUG 1819 in Weymouth, Norfolk, Massachusetts