Name: Ann ORCHARD
Birth: 17 MAR 1827 in Wotton under Edge 1
Baptism: 5 MAR 1828 Wotton under Edge 2
Census: 1881 Brighton, SSX
3 Chesham Place, Brighton Kemptown
Death: 2 MAY 1882 in 48 Upper Gloucester Place, London 3
Burial: 5 MAY 1882 Kensal Green Cemetery, London 4
Occupation: Milliner & Dressmaker
Ann Foster, Head, widow, age 49, landowner, born Wotton under Edge, GLS
Convicted at Monmouth Assizes, on 8 Aug 1851, of inciting theft at Usk on 7 Jan 1851and sentenced to 10 years transportation.
Arrived at Hobart, Tasmania, on 8 July 1852 on board the convict "Sir Robert Seppings", which sailed from Woolwich on 18 Mar 1852.
220 female convicts and at least 21 of their children were carried on this voyage, which lasted 112 days. One convict and five children, including Ann's daughter Eliza, died at sea.
Police No: 814
Ann's convict record gives her description as "4'11", black hair, grey eyes".
On arrival, she was assigned to the Licensee of the Maquarie Hotel, Hobart.
Approval to marry Charles Rothurford [sic], 13 September 1853
Ticket of Leave, 1 August 1854
Conditional pardon approved, 22 February 1856
Returned to England, with her surviving Tasmanian-born children, after the death of her third husband, John Foster, in 1875.
See also The life of Ann Orchard, which includes fascinating accounts of her trial from the "Monmouthshire Beacon" and "The Times".
Father: James ORCHARD b: 8 SEP 1791 in Wotton under Edge
Mother: Elizabeth WAKEFIELD
William Cozens DINHAM b: 2 MAY 1825 in Bath, Somerset
11 OCT 1847
in St Woolos, Newport, Monmouthshire 5
- William Couzens (Edward) DINHAM b: 8 MAY 1848 in Usk, Monmouthshire
- Eliza Ann DINHAM b: 20 FEB 1851 in Abergavenny, MON
Charles RIDDIFORD b: C1815 in Wotton under Edge, GLS
4 OCT 1853
in St George's, Hobart Town, Tasmania 3
- Note: Ann Dinham shown as "widow", age 22, in register
- Sarah Ann (Annie) RIDDIFORD b: 20 MAY 1854 in Hobart Town, Tasmania
John FOSTER b: 1 MAR 1792 in Settle, Yorkshire, England
18 APR 1863
in Davey Street,Hobart Town, Tasmania 3
- Note: John Foster shown as "Gentleman", Anne Riddeford as "widow", both of "full age"
- John Henry FOSTER b: 27 JAN 1860
- Henry FOSTER b: 17 JUN 1862 in Hobart Town, Tasmania
- Jane FOSTER b: 26 SEP 1863 in Hobart Town, Tasmania
- Frances Harriet (Pat) FOSTER b: 5 MAR 1866 in Hobart Town, Tasmania
- John Dowbiggin FOSTER b: 21 MAY 1867 in Hobart Town, Tasmania
- Askin Morrison FOSTER b: 23 SEP 1868 in Hobart Town, Tasmania
- Abbrev: Pauline Kennedy
Text: Pauline Kennedy
- Abbrev: Elizabeth Jack
Text: Elizabeth Jack
- Abbrev: Certificate in file
Text: Certificate in file
- Abbrev: Monumental Inscription
Text: Monumental Inscription
- Abbrev: Marriage Certificate in file
Text: Marriage Certificate in file