Name: Louisa A. DESBROUGHS
Birth: 07 JUN 1838 in Cheapside, London, England 1 2
Came to Oregon 1879 Nashville
Sat Feb 18, 1922
Mrs. Nash, Buried Here Today, Woman Active In Affairs Of The Day
The death of Mrs. Wallis Nash, of Nashville, as related in lastnight's Gazette-Times, and the burial here late this afternoon, brings to an end a happy wedded life of more than fifty years. She and the well-known Wallis Nash --one of the early Corvallis & Eastern railroad men, then O.A.C. regent, and always a writer --had spent most of their lives in this region, and the local W. C. T. U. is especially proud and happy that Mrs. Nash was a charter member of the organization and speak with pleasure of the fact that Mr. Nash contributed liberally towards
the building fund.
Mrs. Nash was born at the Ranger's Cottage, Greenwich Park, England, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Desbrough, a long-time member of the Episcopal church, to which Mrs. Nash remained faithful throughout her
life. She was a woman of strong mind and the courage of her convictions. This led her to take interest in the Woman's Suffrage cause, and that of temperance as well. Her active pen was always at the service of religious and philanthropic causes in which she was ever an active worker. Mrs. Nash lived an earnest life, full of good endeavor, and enjoyed the happy association of the many attracted to her through her pleasing personality.
Oregon Death Index:
Death Date: 16 Feb 1922
Death Certificate No.: 17
Your reference is ID: I1222356 Name: Wallis Nash
His wife, Louisa Desborough, and I have a common Desborough ancestor - her grandfather, Henry Desborough.
I note on your records that her name is spelled 'Desbrough'. I know that when she was baptized the it was 'Desborough', so I'm curious when it was changed.
I can provide you with more details on Louisa and her children born in England, if you wish (all my ancestors are English, so, of course, all my research has been done there).
In exchange I wonder if you could help me track down one of Louisa's descendants - a Betty Nash Carlson? What I know of her is that she visited England in 1993 and did a vast search on the Desborough family. It mat be that she is no longer living because I have an idea she was elderly when she made that trip ten years ago. I have tried to locate her through the phone directories that are found on the Internet without any luck.
For a teaser, let me give you this information:
* By using the 'FreeBMD' website, I found that Wallis Nash's birth was reported in the September quarter of 1837. In case you are not acquainted with it, civil registration of births, marriages and deaths started in England on 1 July 1837. The index showed an entry for a Wallis Nash in St George Parish, Southwark, 4 95. I think it is very likely that this is our Wallis because that name is not very common and the location is on the south bank of the River Thames.
* Louisa was born on 7 June 1838 at Cheapside, London, and was baptized on 6 September 1838 at St Alphage, Greenwich, Kent. [I have a copy of the baptismal record which shows the date of birth also.]
* I wasn't aware that Louisa was Wallis's second wife, but suspected it when I had found the 1880 census of Summit, Benton Co., on the Family History Library website and found a Wallis G., son, age 13.
* Wallis and Louisa were married on 4 April 1868 in Devonshire, England [I got that date from a report from Betty Nash Carlson, but confirmed it from the 'FreeBMD' website where I found an entry in the Index for the June quarter, 1868, at Okehampton [Devonshire], 5b 653.
* From the dates of Percival and Dorothea's births, it would appear that Wallis came to the States by himself the first time .
Wallis NASH b: 1837 in Great Britain
04 APR 1868
in Devonshire, England
- Desmond Nash
- Wallis G. NASH b: ABT 1867 in England
- Harry NASH b: ABT 1872 in England
- Percival NASH b: ABT 1874 in England
- Dorothea NASH b: ABT 1879 in England
- Living NASH
- Rodney L. Nash b: ABT 1883 in Benton Co, OR
- Title: 1880 Census - OR, Benton County
Source Medium: Book
- Title: Email
Source Medium: Book