Name: Michael J. KELLY
Given Name: Michael J.
Change Date: 8 JAN 2016
Birth: ABT 1827 in Ireland
Census: 1861 Maryhill Parish, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Note: He was working as a hammerman at an ironworks and living with his father.
Census: JUN 1870 Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA
Census: JUN 1880 Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA
Census: JUN 1900 Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA
Death: of of a cerebral hemorrhage (stroke) 25 JUN 1902 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA
Event: the Pittsburgh Press
Obituary 26 JUN 1902
Burial: 28 JUN 1902 Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA
ADDR: Calvary Cemetery
Note: His funeral mass was held at St. Agnes church.
Shortly after their marriage, the Kellys came to Philadelphia and later to Pittsburgh to a place called Soho, PA, a section of Pittsburgh on the Monongahela River. Michael worked copper in a rolling mill, which was very noisy. As a result, he was hard of hearing later in life. The Kellys first lived on Second Avenue, near the mill, before moving on to Craft Avenue and (319) Meyran Avenue. They rented these homes. Godparents of their children included Henry, James and Mary Sherry; it is unclear how they might have been related.
KELLY is the second most common Irish surname, not far behind Murphy. This surname came into being independently in at least seven widely separated places. In each of these, the eponymous ancestor was Ceallach, a personal name, from the genitive case of which we get O Ceallaigh, the Irish form of the surname. The O'Kellys of Ui Maine, which are concentrated in east Co. Galway and the southern part of Co. Roscommon, are the best known of the Kelly branches.
Father: Michael KELLY b: ABT 1805 in Ireland
Mother: Mary MCGEE b: ABT 1790
Frances MCVEY b: ABT 1838 in County Antrim, Ireland
7 AUG 1863
in Bridgeton, Glasgow, Scotland
- Note: Their witnesses were John Blaney and Catherine McVey. Michael was listed as a railroad laborer and was living at 74 Stevenson Street in Glasgow. Fanny was a factory worker and living with her family at 54 Bell Street in Glasgow.
- John Michael KELLY b: 9 SEP 1865 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA
- Mary Frances KELLY b: 5 APR 1868 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA
- Catherine T. KELLY b: 4 FEB 1871 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA
- Henry Stephen KELLY b: 8 AUG 1872 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA
- Daniel A. KELLY b: 4 DEC 1873 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA
- Charles Alfred KELLY b: 12 DEC 1875 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA