Name: Garret T. B. FONDA Esq.
Given Name: Garret T. B.
Nickname: Teunis Breese
Birth: 05 APR 1808 in Johnstown, NY 1
Baptism: Dutch Reformed Church, Caughnawaga, Fonda, Montgomery Co., NY 2
Death: 09 AUG 1880
Age: 72y 4m 4d in Fonda, Montgomery Co., NY 3
Burial: Caughnawaga Cemetery, Fonda, Montgomery Co., NY 1 2 3
Note: b. Johnstown, NY; bp. Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Caughnawaga, Fonda, Montgomery Co., NY; 1830 US Federal Census, Johnstown, Fulton Co., NY; 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870 & 1880 US Federal Census, Mohawk, Montgomery Co., NY; 1855 New York State Census, E.D.2, Mohawk, Montgomery Co., NY; 1869-70 Town of Mohawk, NY Directory (G.T.B. Fonda, freight agent, N.Y.C.R.R.); 1875 New York State Census, Mohawk, Montgomery Co., NY; d. Fonda, Montgomery Co., NY; bur. Caughnawaga Cemetery, Fonda, Montgomery Co., NY; o. Freight Agent, Attorney; [R004b] American Ancestry; [R102] Genealogical and Family History of Southern New York and the Hudson River Valley; [R048a] Old Dutch Families: Fonda Family; [G. T. B. Fonda died yesterday after along illness in his 72d year. He was a native of Fonda where the family has flourished for six generations. He became engaged in the Utica Hudson railroad at its very inception, and remained in its service until a few years ago, when ill-health required his retirement. His term of service extended more than 40 years, and hence he has long been included among the railway veterans. Troy Daily Times, Tuesday Afternoon, August 10, 1880] ; [Death Of An Old Central Man - G. T. B. Fonda died yesterday evening of heart disease, from which he has suffered for seven years. He was 73, and had been connected with the Central railroad since its organization until that time when he resigned. When the first rail was laid he had charge of the gravel train at this place, and when the company received its charter to carry freight he had charge of the freight department here. He was a colonel in the old militia and a member of Fultonvllle lodge, F. and A. M. Hospitality and kindness have always been among the characteristics of Colonel Fonda, and he will be greatly missed. D. H. Fonda, a druggist in Albany, and Ten Eyck Fonda are among his children who survive him. Newspaper Utica NY Morning Herald, Tuesday, August 10, 1880]>> www.fonda.org <<
Father: Douw Adam FONDA b: 30 DEC 1774 in Caughnawaga, Montgomery Co., NY
Mother: Wyntje Lavina BREESE b: 27 SEP 1775 in Albany, NY
Rachel POLHEMUS b: 15 SEP 1809 in Fonda, Montgomery Co., NY
- Garret Douw FONDA b: 09 AUG 1829 in Fonda, Montgomery Co., NY
- Douw Henry FONDA b: 10 SEP 1830 in Fonda, Montgomery Co., NY
- Lavina Eleanor FONDA b: 24 SEP 1833 in Fonda, Montgomery Co., NY
- William Briece FONDA b: 22 MAY 1835 in Fonda, Montgomery Co., NY
- TenEyck Hilton FONDA b: 15 DEC 1838 in Fonda, NY
- Elizabeth Anne FONDA b: 10 APR 1842 in Fonda, Montgomery Co., NY
Eveline NEAHER b: 1821 in New York
02 SEP 1845
in Rome, NY
- Note: m. Rome, NY; [Married, in Rome, on Tuesday morning, by Rev. S. Haynes, Col. G. T. B. Fonda, to Miss Eveline Neaher, all of Fonda, Montgomery county. Albany Argus (Albany, NY), Tuesday, September 2, 1845]
- Isaiah Hardenburg FONDA b: 08 JAN 1847 in New York
- Frank A. FONDA b: 1852 in New York
- Mary Louise FONDA b: JUL 1856 in New York
- Gertrude S. FONDA b: 06 OCT 1863 in Fonda, NY
- Title: American Ancestry
Giving the Name and Descent, in the Male Line, of Americans whose Ancestors Settled in the United States previous to the Declaration of Independence
Publication: Albany, NY
Publisher: J. Munsell Co.
Publication Date: 1887
Edition: Vol. I, p.28
Author: Hughes, Thomas P.
- Title: Genealogical and Family History of Southern New York and the Hudson River Valley
A Record of the Achievements of her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Building of a Nation
Publication: Baltimore, MD
Publisher: Clearfield Co.
Publication Date: 1914
Author: Reynolds, Cuyler
- Title: Old Dutch Families: Fonda Family
Publication: New York, NY
Publisher: De Halve Maen (Holland Society of New York Quarterly)
Publication Date: 1945
Edition: Jan., Vol.20, Iss.1, p.5
Author: Schermerhorn, Richard Jr.