Name: Ann BOWDEN
Birth: 5 APR 1826 in Benenden, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England
Christening: 28 MAY 1826 Benenden, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England 1
Death: 25 AUG 1914 in Moap Street Waratah NSW of Senile Decay 2
Note: No.12450 Registered at Waratah, NSW
Burial: 26 AUG 1914 Congregational Cemetery Sandgate, Newcastle NSW 2
Emigration: 24 JUN 1838 Gravesend in Kent (near London)
Immigration: 6 NOV 1838 arriving Sydney on ship 'Maitland'
Residence: 6 FEB 1839 George Street South, Sydney NSW AUS 3
Residence: 1842 Bourke Street, Surry Hills, Sydney NSW
Residence: 1842 Dora Creek, Newport, near Lake Macquarie
ANCI: Jenny Asher via dau Rosa (1852) 4
ANCI: Juliette Hendry via son Frank (1846) 5
ANCI: Paul Martyn-Jones via dau Rosa (1852) 6
ANCI: Carl Sampson via daughter Rosa (1852)
Ann BOWDEN lost her mother when she was 12 years of age, as her mother died upon the family's arrival in Sydney in 1838.
Her older sister Rebecca, married Thomas ADAM two years later at St Andrews Presbyterian Church, Sydney on 28 Aug 1840. Thomas and Rebecca ADAM resided at 'Dora Creek', Newport, near Lake Macquarie from 1841 to 1846, so it is most likely that Ann at 14 years of age assisted Rebecca with the raising of their younger four siblings, which included a three year old infant as well as preparing meals for the older family members in Sydney and later at their farm at Dora Creek.
In February 1845 Ann, aged 22 years married Samuel ASHER with the consent of the Governor of NSW. Samuel died tragically on 27 Jul 1855 when he fell from his dray and dislocated his spine, whilst taking a dray of goods to the racecourse. He lived for 12 hours though paralysed. This left Ann with six young children to raise. Catherine the youngest, having being born only four months earlier. Three years later she married her second husband Edward PERRY on 30 Mar 1858 and had a a further five children :
Thomas (1859), Edward Bowden PERRY (1860) married Annie JOLLY, Harriet E PERRY (1862) married John C JORDAN,
Caroline M PERRY (1864) married William FARLEY, Reuben G PERRY (1866) married Annie GILLESPIE.
On 28 July 1877 Ann was a witness at the birth of her grandson Samuel Webster Asher. On 23 Jun 1884, at the age of 58 years, Ann became a Widow once more when her second husband Edward PERRY committed suicide by cutting his throat.
Ann is buried as Ann PERRY in the Congregational Section of Sandgate Cemetery NSW. Her death is registered as : No.12450 Registered in Waratah NSW.
For further reading see : 'The Benenden Bowdens' by Author Colin KING ; Published 1988 - 192 pages. ISBN 9592639 1 8
The first half century of a pioneering family, the Bowden's, who arrived in Australia within the first fifty years after settlement by the British.
Father: William BOWDEN b: 12 AUG 1796 in Benenden, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England c: 16 OCT 1796 in Benenden, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England
Mother: Elizabeth GODFREY b: 9 MAY 1798 in Rolvenden, Kent, England
Samuel Lyon ASHER b: 1818 in Newcastle Street, Nottingham, England c: 22 JAN 1818 in St. Mary's, Nottingham, England
6 FEB 1845
in Cooranbong, Gosford Parish Co. Northumberland 1
Newcastle Public Library Collection Parish Register (Reference :Mfm LH13)Official : Edward Rogers. District : Brisbane Waters. Parish : Gosford. County : Northumberland.
Note : Remarks in Register (not sighted)
- George Leyon ASHER b: 24 APR 1845 in Newport 'Dora Creek' NSW Australia
- Frank ASHER b: 18 JUL 1846 in Newport "Dora Creek" NSW Australia
- Samuel William ASHER b: 17 APR 1848 in Raymond Terrace Newcastle, NSW AUS c: 8 OCT 1848 in Hunter River Circuit, County Northumberland
- Alfred ASHER b: 22 JUL 1850 in Perkins Street, Newcastle c: 1850 in Wesleyan Methodist, Maitland
- Rosa Louisa ASHER b: 18 AUG 1852 in Perkins Street, Newcastle NSW AUS c: 1852 in Wesleyan Methodist, Hunter Dist.Newcastle
- Catherine ASHER b: 27 MAR 1855 in Perkins Street, Newcastle, NSW
Edward PERRY b: 1830 in Yeaton, Somerset, England
30 MAR 1858
in Wesleyan Chapel, Newcastle NSW 7
- Note: No.2287 Registered at Newcastle
- Thomas PERRY b: 1859 in Newcastle NSW Australia
- Edward Bowden PERRY b: 5 AUG 1860 in Newcastle NSW Australia
- Harriet Elizabeth PERRY b: 5 AUG 1862 in Newcastle NSW Australia
- Caroline (Connie) M PERRY b: 1864 in Newcastle NSW Australia
- Reuben G. PERRY b: 1866 in Newcastle NSW Australia
- Author: Francie Schwarze - Bowden & Godfrey descendant.
Francie is descended from William Bowden & Elizabeth Godfrey's son Thomas (1824), via his dau. Jessie Nairn BOWDEN (1866) who married William James DAUNT.
- Author: NSW Certified Copy of Death Certificate No. 12450
- Author: Colin KING of 102/998 Samford Road, Keperra QLD 4054 Australia
Title: The Benenden Bowdens ISBN 9592639 1 8
Publication: Colin KING in August 1988
My paternal grandmother Iris ASHER is listed on Page 138 (person 22.214.171.124.3) of this book.
Copies can be purchased from
Colin King of 102/998 Samford Road, Keperra QLD 4054.
- Author: Jennifer Asher (nee Fawcett) - Bowden, Godfrey & Asher descendant
Jenny is a descendant of William Bowden and Elizabeth Godfrey via their dau Ann Bowden's 1st marriage to Samuel Lyon Asher, via dau Rosa Asher who married Christopher Fawcett.
- Author: Juliette Hendry Juliette's Genealogy
Juliette is a descendant of William Bowden & Elizabeth Godfrey's dau Ann Bowden who married Samuel ASHER. Their son Frank ASHER (1846) & Rebecca OSBORNE dau Mable ASHER (1883) & Leslie Kenneth CLARK
- Author: Paul Martyn-Jones (ASHER & FAWCETT descendant)
Great grandson of Rosa Louisa ASHER (1852) & Christopher FAWCETT via Ettie FAWCETT (1882) & George R SAMPSON (Tree compiled by Carl SAMPSON of Bungendore NSW)
- Author: Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate