Name: Basil PRATHER 1 2
Reference Number: 0232
Birth: 20 OCT 1742 in Rock Creek, Prince George's Co MD
Death: 7 OCT 1822 in Clark Co IN
Burial: New Chapel Church Cem, Watson, Utica Twp, Clark Co IN
Occupation: Postmaster at Salem IN 1816
Note: 3 4|
Change Date: 31 AUG 2011
1820 Clark Co IN, p 14: Basil R Prather: 131401/31110
1810 Indiana census not available
1800 "Second Census of Kentucky," p 235: Basil Prather, Jefferson Co, 9/3/1800
1790 Iredell Co NC, Salisbury Dist, p 157: Bazil Praither, 3/4/4
Ancestor of Nancy Jane Prather.
Revolutionary War NC; oath of allegiance 28 Feb 1778, Washington Co MD; wounded in the knee at the Battle of Camden, SC, 1780
He signed an Oath of Allegiance in Maryland in 1778; by 1780 he had moved to North Carolina. While serving in the militia there, he was shot in the knee at the Battle of Camden, 16 August 1780.
1. NSDAR Patriot Ancestor # A092400. Kathy Patterson's supplemental is in Add Vol 958.
2. Roster of Soldiers from North Carolina in the American Revolution, page 354, militiaman in Salisbury District.
3. Ancestry.com. Roster of Soldiers and Patriots of the American Revolution Buried in Indiana. http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=BookList&dbid=48306&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0.
State Records of NC, 1901, Vol. 19, p. 179.
History of Clark Co IN, Baird, 1909, pp. 54, 674-676. History of the OH Falls Cities, 1882, Vol. 2, p. 409 and passim.
Although many researchers assign a middle initial R to this man, I believe that is a confusion with his son. No record I have seen clearly calls this man Basil R Prather.
Father: Aaron PRATHER b: 1710 in Prince George's Co MD
Mother: Jane PRATHER b: 1716 in Prince George's Co MD
Chlorinda ROBERTSON b: 14 AUG 1748 in Frederick Co MD
in Frederick Co MD 5
- Nancy Elizabeth PRATHER b: 1765 in Frederick Co MD
- William "Skipjack" PRATHER b: 17 AUG 1766 in Frederick Co MD
- Walter PRATHER b: 2 FEB 1768 in Frederick Co MD
- Thomas PRATHER b: 23 JUL 1769 in Frederick Co MD
- Basil Robertson PRATHER b: 28 JUN 1771 in Frederick Co MD
- Catherine PRATHER b: 1773 in Rowan Co NC
- John Asa PRATHER b: 1775 in Rowan Co NC
- Aaron PRATHER b: 1777 in Rowan Co NC
- Samuel PRATHER b: 1780 in Rowan Co NC
- Lloyd Benton PRATHER b: 25 NOV 1782 in Rowan Co NC
- Rebecca PRATHER b: 1784 in Rowan Co NC
- Rachel PRATHER b: 27 OCT 1787 in Rowan Co NC
- Sihon S PRATHER b: 9 NOV 1790 in Iredell Co NC
- Chloe PRATHER b: 1794 in Iredell Co NC
- Susannah PRATHER b: 1798 in Iredell Co NC
- Text: History of the Old Falls Cities and Their Counties, L. A. Williams & Co, Volume II, page 409 (1882): "Basil R. Prather, the father of the Prathers in the township, came here from North Carolina in 1801. His sons, Thomas, William, Walter, Basil R. Jr., Judge Samuel, Lloyd, John & Simon (Sion), were all married when they came here, except the last named. They settled throughout the township, and formed a class of men possessed of many admirable qualities."
Date: 10 DEC 2007
- Text: Territorial Papers of Indiana, various petitions dated 1809-1816, from University of South Dakota Library, copied 1967. Clark Co IN petition, dated 12 Dec 1809, included: truman hilton, James Hilton, Joshua W redman, Lloyd Prather, Benjamin Redman, Basil R Prather, Aaron Prather, Roger Redman, Jacob Veatch, Wm Prather. Another peition from 1809 included: Wm Prather, Truman Hilton, James Hilton, John Prather, Basil R Prather, Aaron Prather, Lloyd Prather. A territorial memorial signed 31 Dec 1810 included Aaron Prather and Jacob Veatch. A territorial petition, 11 Dec 1811, had: Aaron Prather, James Hilton, Basil Prather, Wm Prather, Basil R Prather. Clark Co IN petition, dated 16 Dec 1813, included: Aaron Prather, Samuel Prather, Basil Prather, Loyd Prather. Clark Co IN Memorial, 15 Oct 1812: Rezin Redman, Commandant of a Detachment from Clark. Territory Memorial, 1 Feb 1815: Basil Prather. A footnote mentons Basil Prather, a native of Maryland and postmaster in 1816 at Salem. 17 April 1816: a note from the Postmaster General to Basil Prather.
- Text: Roster of Soldiers in NC in the American Revolution, 1932, p. 354. "Basil Prather (1742-1822) born in MD, died in Clark Co IN: Militia, #6907, Salisbury District Comptroller's Office Certificate, 1785."
Soldiers of the American Revolution Buried in IN, Vol. 2, Byrne, 1954, p. 82: "Prather, Basil, Clark Co. b 1741/42, Rockwell, Montgomery Co MA, formerly Frederick Co, married ca 1765, Chloe (Chlorenda) Robertson (Robinson), b 14 Aug 1748, MD, died Clark Co IN, 12 Jul 1812. Basil Prather died 8 Oct 1822, Clark Co IN. Soldier and wife buried New Chapel Cemetery, near Utica IN. Both have stones. Children: [includes] Lloyd md. Louisville KY, Nancy Redman 21 Jun 1804...
Also 1966 edition, pp. 83-84.
DAR Patriot Index.
Date: 9 AUG 2009
- Text: Lineage application of Katherine Alvis Patterson, national no. 554801, National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, supplemental (Basil Prather), "Add" volume 958, approved 2008.
Date: 8 DEC 2008
- Text: Anna M. Cartlidge, Marriage Records of People Named Prather, Prater, Prator, Praytor, 1976, no page copied. NSDAR Library, 1987.
Date: 9 DEC 2007