Name: Patrick Crawford
Given Name: Patrick
Birth: 1723 in ,, Ireland
Death: 1 Dec 1787 in , Augusta Co., Virginia
Burial: Augusta Stone Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Ft. Defiance, Augusta Co., Virginia
Reference Number: A25.2
! (1) Carolyn Davidson Carey, Greenwood Village, CO. Cites: (a) "Annals of Augusta County, Virginia," by Chalkley, Vol. I, p.147. (b) "Supplement to the Annals of Augusta Co."
Change Date: 19 Dec 2012 at 07:37:34
FILE: Tombstones\Crawford, Patrick 1787 & Sarah Wilson 1787 Augusta Stone Ch Old Cem.JPG
Title: Tombstone, Patrick Crawford & Sarah Wilson, Augusta Stone Ch Old Cem
(2) "Annals of Augusta County from 1726 to 1871," by Joseph Addison Waddell (C. Russell Caldwell, Staunton, VA 1902) p.207-208. FHL #1000,633, item 2.
(3) "Virginia Ancestors and Adventurers," Vol. 2, p.90. Cites: (a) Order Book 2 1739-1741, Orange Co., VA.
(4) "Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia, Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta County 1745-1800," by Lyman Chalkley, (Genealogical Pub. Co., Baltimore, 1966) FHL #975.591/F2s. Vol. 1, p.65, 255, 370. Vol. 2, p.97. Vol. 3, p.178-179, 210. Cites: (a) Augusta Co., VA Will Bk 8, p.236.
(5) "Descendants of Alexander and Mary McPheeters Crawford," by Amanda Forbes and Lucetta Simmis (1980) p.2-3. Cites: (a) Mrs. John Gamble, d/o William McPheeters Jr.. (b) Papers of Mrs. Mildred Crawford, Augusta Co. Historical Soc..
(6) "Early Western Augusta Pioneers," by George W. Cleek (1957) p.341,342. FHL #975.591 D2cg. Cites: (a) Orange Co., VA, Order Bk II, p.211. (b) Augusta Co., VA, Will Bk VII, p.31.
(7) "Virginia Land Records from the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, the William and Mary College Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly" (Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1984), "Early Settlers in the Valley of Virginia," by Charles E. Kemper, p.711,720. Cites: (a) PA Archives, 3rd series, Vol. 24.
(8) Tombstone, Old Cemetery, Augusta Stone Presbyterian Church, Ft. Defiance, VA.
(9) "Register of Soldiers of the American Revolution who Died and Lie Buried in Augusta County, Virginia," comp. by Katherine G. Bushman (Col. Thomas Hughart Chapter NSDAR, Staunton, VA, 1988) p.67. VA State Library Archives No. 33366.
(10) National Soc. Daughters of the American Revolution, application of Dorothy Vance Crawford Rogers (Mrs. Franklin Rogers), Staunton, VA, 6 Mar 1926. Cites: (a) McAllister's Virginia Militia in the Revolution, Sec. 22. (b) Patrick Crawford family Bible. (c) Manuscript records of Colonial and Revolutionary Forces, Augusta Co., VA. (d) Augusta Stone Church records. (e) Chalkley's Records, Augusta Co., VA, Vol. II, p.394, 430-431, 440, 462; Vol. III, Patrick Crawford will.
(11) "Family History of Col. John Sawyers and Simon Harris and their Descendants," by Madison Monroe Harris and William Randolph Carter (rpt. http://www.books.google.com) p.134-135. Cites: (a) Miss Minnie L. Baugh's compilation of the Alexander and Patrick Crawford families (1888).
(12) Kathy Crawford Arrowsmith, Lexington, SC. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (2002).
(13) "David 'Turk' Edmiston" (http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:David_Edmiston_(1), 2012). Cites: (a) Orange Co., VA Land Records, p.107-110.
(14) Typed transcript of Orange Co., VA Order Book 2, 1739-1741, p.211. Copy from Glenn Morton, E-mail email@example.com (2012).
(15) "Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia" (http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Early_Settlers_of_Augusta_County%2C_Virginia, 12 Feb 2010). Cites: (a) Orange Co., VA Deed Bk 10, p.48. (b) "Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia, Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta Co. 1745-1800," by Lyman Chalkley. (c) Sharon M. Stalker (FTM), citing Christopher Thomas Crawford web site; "History of Augusta Co., VA," by J. Lewis Peyton; Ancestral File. (d) "Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia," by Peter Cline Kaylor, p.64.
! Birth: (5a,6,15) s/o William CRAWFORD/Mary DOUGLAS. (5b) Believed to be s/o William CRAWFORD. (4) Brother of James CRAWFORD who married Elizabeth ROBERTSON. (7) s/o Ann CRAWFORD. (8,9,10,15) 1723. [NOTE: See notes concerning his age under importation oath of 24 Jul 1740 below]. (1) Scotland. (2) North of Ireland. (9) Ireland. (10) Ulster, Ireland. (11) Presumed to have been native of the North of Ireland.
Marriage to Sarah "Sally" WILSON: (2,6) (8,10,15) 1747. (9) ca. 1749. (1) Scotland. (15) Lancaster Co., PA. [NOTE: Was in VA by 1740. See notes below.]
Death: (1) c.1787. (2,4,6b,15b) Will dtd 4 Dec 1786, proved 18 Dec 1787, Augusta Co., VA. (8) 1787. (9) 1 Dec 1787. (10) 18 Dec 1787. (1,9,10) Augusta Co., VA.
Burial: (8) Old Cemetery, Augusta Stone Presbyterian Church, Ft. Defiance, VA. Original stone disintigrated, replaced 1994. (9) Augusta Stone Presbyterian Church. Government marker, Revolutionary War veteran.
(5a) Came to Lancaster Co., PA from Ireland sometime before 1737 with his brothers and sisters. (3,14) Moved from Ireland to Philadelphia.
(7a) 1736, 21 Mar: Patrick CRAWFORD patented 200 acres of land in Lancaster Co., PA.
(5b) 1737: Came to VA. He and brothers George, James and Alexander were living in Augusta Co., VA by 1740. (3,6) Moved to Orange Co., VA before 24 Jul 1740. (7) Settled in present Augusta Co., VA in 1738. (11) Alexander and Patrick CRAWFORD were among the earliest settlers in Augusta Co., VA.
(13a) 1740, 23-34 Jul: Patrick CRAWFORD, William BELL, and Gibbons JENNINGS witnessed deed of lease and release from William BEVERLEY of Essex Co., Gent. to David EDMISTON of Orange Co., VA, for 350 acres in Beverley Manor, Orange Co., VA. [NOTE: See notes under importation oath of same date below.]
(5b,6,14) 1740, 24 Jul: (5b) Patrick CRAWFORD, Ann, James, George, Margret and Mary CRAWFORD, listed in importations, Orange Co., VA. (6a) Proved his importation, bringing with him Ann, James, George, Margaret and Mary CRAWFORD, Orange Co., VA. (14) Patrick CRAWFORD came into Orange Co., VA Court and made oath that he imported himself and Ann, James, George, Margaret and Mary CRAWFORD from Ireland to Philadelphia and from thence into this Colony, and this is the first time of his proving his or their rights in order to obtain land, etc.
(15a) 1745, 24 Jul: James CATHEY of Augusta Co., VA, indenture deed of lease and release to Patrick CRAWFORD of Augusta Co., for L170, a tract of land containing 675 acres, part of a tract of land of 1,350 acres granted to James CATHEY by patent 13 Aug 1743, lying in Augusta Co. on both sides of the Shannando River, bounded by James GIVIN's land, land of said STORY. Signed James CATHEY. Wits. Thomas LEWIS, Andrew LEWIS, James ROBERTSON. Recorded Orange Co., VA 6 Sep 1745.
(2,15c) Lived on a farm on Middle River, owned by his descendant John H. CRAWFORD. (Augusta Co., VA). (10) Lived near Port Republic, VA. (12) Lived on a farm on Middle River, 4 miles from the Valley Pike.
(4) 1754, 24 Aug: Patrick CRAWFORD vs. Thomas STORY, Augusta Co., VA court. James RANDOLPH, a witness, about to leave the colony.
(10) 1755: Was in Capt. Samuel GIVENS' Company.
(2,15c) 1756: (10) 1756-1759: (2,10,15c) Was a member of Capt. James ALLEN's company of militia, Augusta Co., VA.
(2,15c) 1757, 2 Sep: Fined at court martial for not appearing at muster.
(15d) 1772, 9 Jan: Surveyed for Arthur CONNELY, 530 acres on branch of Middle River, adjoining John CAMPBELL, George CRAWFORD, Samuel HENDERSON, Patrick CRAWFORD, COLMAN, William JOHNSTON.
(4a) 1773, 18 Apr: Mathew WILLSON, administrator to the legatees of Col. John WILSON, deceased, estate Dr., Augusta Co., VA. A statement of the whole; 1773, paid, 18 Apr to Patrick CRAWFORD, legatee; 1772, paid, 14 Dec to James EWING, legatee; 1774, paid 20 Apr to Wm. McKENNAN, legatee.
(10) [1774, Oct]: Was at the Battle of Point Pleasant with Capt. James ALLEN, his brother-in-law Capt. WILLSON being killed at this time.
(10) 1778: Patrick and sons George and John joined Col. Alexander ROBERTSON's expedition against the Shawnee Indians on the northwestern frontier.
(10) 1782-1783: (8,9) Served in the Revolutionary War. (9,10) Capt. RANKIN's Company, Augusta Militia. (10) Sons George and John were in the same company.
(10) Patrick and sons George and John, under Col. Alexander ROBERTSON and Gen. GREEN, were at Guilford Courthouse.
(10) 1784: Patrick, George and John CRAWFORD were with Capt. John GIVENS under Col. Alexander ROBERTSON at the plundering of Charlottesville by TARLETON.
(10) Joined LAFAYETTE's army and fought in the battles of Hot Water and Jamestown.
(10) Patrick CRAWFORD and sons George and John were at the Battle of Yorktown.
(4,6b,15b) 1786, 4 Dec: Patrick CRAWFORD made his will. To son George. To son John. Left a tract purchased of Madam WOOD to his twin sons James and William. Names daughters Martha, Mary; grandson George McCHESNEY. Other children have received their parts. To four sons. Executors, sons George and John. Teste: John POAGE, James CRAWFORD, Alexander ROBERTSON.
(10) 1787: Patrick CRAWFORD and sons were in Capt. RANKIN's Company.
(4,6b,15b) 1787, 18 Dec: Will proved, Augusta Co., VA. (4) Estate appraised by John GIVENS Jr., Robert KENNY, James RANKIN, George CRAWFORD.
(2) His personal estate, including slaves, amounted to 2,462 pounds, 3s, 7d.
(4) 1788, 22 Oct: Augusta Co., VA court appoints James McCHESNEY guardian of his son George, infant under 14 years, who is legatee of Patrick CRAWFORD.
(4) 1805, 18 Jun: Daniel FALL of Augusta Co., VA vs. John CRAWFORD, case filed in Circuit Court. Patrick CRAWFORD of Augusta died testate, but intestate as to much of his estate. He left children and grandchildren, among them Margaret CRAWFORD, wife of complainant and daughter of John CRAWFORD, who at Patrick's death was infant and only child of Margaret CRAWFORD, one of daughters of Patrick had married John CRAWFORD and died before Patrick. Matty ANDERSON deposes that John CRAWFORD married her sister, who died shortly after birth of her first child. Before death she wished her sister Betsey ROBERTSON to take the child. FALL's wife had an aunt McFEETERS.
Father: William Crawford b: 7 Jun 1691 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Mother: Mary (Ann) Douglas b: 26 Nov 1693 in Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
Sarah "Sally" Wilson (Willson) b: 1726
- Martha Crawford c: Nov 1748 in Augusta Stone Church, Ft. Defiance, Augusta Co., Virginia
- Elizabeth "Betsey" Crawford b: 18 Oct 1751 in , Augusta Co., Virginia c: 18 Oct 1751 in , Augusta Co., Virginia
- Margaret "Peggy" Crawford b: 3 Jul 1754 in , Augusta Co., Virginia
- George Crawford b: 1 Oct 1756 in , Augusta Co., Virginia
- Sarah Crawford b: 29 Oct 1758 in , Augusta Co., Virginia
- Martha "Matty" Crawford b: 10 May 1761 in , Augusta Co., Virginia
- John Crawford b: 29 Mar 1763 in , Augusta Co., Virginia
- Mary "Polly" Crawford b: 7 May 1765 in , Augusta Co., Virginia
- William Crawford b: 6 Aug 1767 in , Augusta Co., Virginia
- James Crawford b: 6 Aug 1767 in , Augusta Co., Virginia