Name: George Crawford
Given Name: George
Birth: ABT 1727/1729
Death: 10 May 1781 in , Augusta Co., Virginia
! (1) "Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia, Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta County 1745-1800," by Lyman Chalkley, (Genealogical Pub. Co., Baltimore, 1966). Vol. 2, p.203-204; Vol. 3, p.174. FHL #975.591/F2s.
Change Date: 8 Oct 2012 at 01:00:00
(2) "Descendants of Alexander and Mary McPheeters Crawford," by Amanda Forbes and Lucetta Simmis (1980) p.2-3. Cites: (a) Mrs. John Gamble, d/o William McPheeters Jr.. (b) Papers of Mrs. Mildred Crawford, Augusta Co. Historical Soc..
(3) "Annals of Augusta County From 1726 to 1871," by Joseph Addison Waddell (C. Russell Caldwell, Staunton, VA 1902) p.205. FHL #1,000,633, item 2.(4) Ancestral File, FHL, 1995. Caroline Crawford Howard, 3431 Airlie St., Charlotte, NC 28205.
(4) "Virginia Land Records from the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, the William and Mary College Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly" (Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1984), "Early Settlers in the Valley of Virginia," by Charles E. Kemper, p.720. Cites: (a) PA Archives, 3rd series, Vol. 24.
(5) "Augusta County, VA Families," by Jean T. Gillett (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com, jeant_5, 31 Aug 2005). Cites: (a) "A Chapter of Hopkins Genealogy 1735-1905," by Ella Warren Harrison (Lakeside Press, Chicago, 1905) p.99. (b) "Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia, Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta County 1745-1800," by Lyman Chalkley, (1912; rpt. Genealogical Pub. Co., Baltimore, 1980). Vol. III, p.140,516.
(6) Typed transcript of Orange Co., VA Order Book 2, 1739-1741, p.211. Copy from Glenn Morton, E-mail email@example.com (2012).
(7) Find A Grave Memorial #68504631 (http://www.findagrave.com, 17 Apr 2011).
(8) "Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia" (http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Early_Settlers_of_Augusta_County%2C_Virginia, 11 Nov 2011). Cites: (a) IGI. (b) "Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia, Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta Co. 1745-1800," by Lyman Chalkley. (c) "Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia," by Peter Cline Kaylor, p.64.
! Birth: (2a) A George CRAWFORD. (2a,3,7,8) s/o William CRAWFORD/Mary DOUGLAS. [NOTE: He may not be s/o William - see below deed of 1784 - if he was dead in 1780.] (4) s/o Ann CRAWFORD. (3) Abt. 1729. (7,8a) 1727. Middle River, Augusta Co., VA.
Marriage to Elizabeth POAGE: (3,8) Abt 1753. (3,5,8) Augusta Co., VA.
Death: (1) Estate settled 1783, Augusta Co., VA, showing item paid from estate 12 Oct 1780. Andrew ANDERSON deposed in 1818 that he died between 1780 and 1784. (5a,8b) Will dtd 19 Jul 1779. (5a) Will probated 16 May 1782, Augusta Co., VA. (8b) Will probated 16 May 1780, Augusta Co., VA. (7,8a) 10 May 1781. Augusta Co., VA.
Burial: (7) Possibly Tinkling Spring Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Fisherville, Augusta Co., VA.
(2a) Came to Lancaster Co., PA from Ireland sometime before 1737 with his brothers and sisters. (6) Came from Ireland to Philadelphia.
(2b) 1740: He and brothers Patrick, James and Alexander were living in Augusta Co., VA. (3) Descendants of Patrick and Alexander CRAWFORD say there was a third brother who also came to the valley, but whose name they do not know.
(2b,6) 1740, 24 Jul: (2b) Patrick CRAWFORD, Ann, James, George, Margret and Mary CRAWFORD, listed in importations, Orange Co., VA. (6) Patrick CRAWFORD came into Orange Co., VA Court and made oath that he imported himself. and Ann, James, George, Margaret and Mary CRAWFORD from Ireland to Philadelphia and from thence into this Colony, and this is the first time of his proving his or their rights in order to obtain land, etc.
(8c) 1769, 25 Jun: Surveyed for James GIVENS, 75 acres adjoining George CRAWFORD, by the Great Road.
(8c) 1770, 26 Jun: Surveyed for George CRAWFORD, 194 acres, Middle River, adjoining Samuel HENDERSON, Alexander WALKER.
(8c) 1772, 9 Jan: Surveyed for Arthur CONNELY, 530 acres on branch of Middle River, adjoining John CAMPBELL, George CRAWFORD, Samuel HENDERSON, Patrick CRAWFORD, COLMAN, William JOHNSON.
(5a,b,7b) 1779, 19 Jul: George CRAWFORD of Middle River made his will. (5b,7b) Gave to wife Elizabeth 1/2 home plantation; to son James 1/2 home plantation and entry adjoining; to son George, plantation bought from Joshua HICKMAN on Littler's Creek; to son Robert, plantation bought of Brice RUSSELL with addition taken off HICKMAN's place on Lettler's Creek; to son William CRAWFORD, plantation bought of Wm. BASKINS; to son John, 1/2 home plantation before devised to wife; to daughter Margaret ANDERSON; to daughter Mary RENKIN; to daughter Elizabeth CRAWFORD; to daughter Martha; to daughter Sarah; to daughter Jane. Executors, sons James and George. Wits. John GIVENS, John GIVENS Jr., Thomas GRAHAM.
(1) 1780, 12 Oct: Estate of George CRAWFORD paid to James CRAWFORD, C.P., for enlisting one 18 months' man.
(5a,b) 1682, 16 May: (7b) 1780, 16 May: (5a,b,7b) Will probated, Augusta Co., VA. Executors qualify.
(1) 1783: George CRAWFORD's estate paid Thomas MENKEN and Andrew ANDERSON, who married legatees, and legatees: the widow, Robert CRAWFORD, William CRAWFORD, John CRAWFORD, Elizabeth CRAWFORD.
(2b) 1784, 13 Jan: Deed of 17 Sep 1761 from Thomas LEWIS to William CRAWFORD for 370 acres patented to LEWIS 9 Oct 1753 in Forks of James on First and Second Run, George RUTLEDGE's land, delivered to George CRAWFORD, devisee of William CRAWFORD. [NOTE: Is there another George CRAWFORD, s/o William, or is this delivered to George's estate? Is date when it was recorded?]
(1,5b) 1786, 21 Feb: George CRAWFORD estate settlement recorded.
(1) 1811: Thomas McCARTHY vs. MASSINGBIRD in Circuit Court. In 1798, Thomas McCARTHY Sr., father of orator, bought of George MASSINGBIRD adjoining tracts on little Levels in Bath adjoining Chas. KINNESON, William HUGHES, Jno. McNEILE, Wm. POAGE, Jacob KINNESON, Lazarus BARTLEY, Jno. McNEIL, James LAIRD, 1010 acres. James CCRAWFORD of Augusta claimed 270 acres. ... Suit was brought in District Court by heirs of James CRAWFORD and judgement rendered for them for 270 acres. Deputy Surveyor Thos. ARBUCKLE surveyed 322 acres instead of 270 acres.... James CRAWFORD's representatives are, viz: Widow Mary CRAWFORD and children, viz: Sarah, James, William, John, Polly. Answer, 27 Jun 1815, of Polly and Elizabeth CRAWFORD, infants... James CRAWFORD, father of Polly and Elizabeth, was eldest son and heir of George CRAWFORD, who died intestate, as to said land. Col. Andrew ANDERSON deposes 29 Oct 1818 in Staunton, VA at the tavern of Dabney COSBY, he married eldest daughter of George CRAWFORD of Augusta. She died 12 Aug 1786. George died between 1780 and 1784. James was eldest son of George.
Father: William Crawford b: 7 Jun 1691 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Mother: Mary (Ann) Douglas b: 26 Nov 1693 in Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
Elizabeth Poage b: ABT 1733 in , Ireland
in , Augusta Co., Virginia
- George Crawford b: 1748 in Middle River, Augusta Co., Virginia
- Margaret Crawford b: ABT 1756 in Middle River, Augusta Co., Virginia
- Mary Crawford b: ABT 1758 in Middle River, Augusta Co., Virginia
- John Crawford b: ABT 1760 in Middle River, Augusta Co., Virginia
- William Crawford b: 21 Feb 1762 in Middle River, Augusta Co., Virginia
- Elizabeth Crawford b: ABT 1763 in Middle River, Augusta Co., Virginia
- James Crawford b: ABT 1765 in Middle River, Augusta Co., Virginia
- Robert "Robin" Crawford b: ABT 1767 in Middle River, Augusta Co., Virginia
- Martha Crawford b: 27 Nov 1769 in Middle River, Augusta Co., Virginia
- Sarah (Polly) Crawford b: ABT 1772 in Middle River, Augusta Co., Virginia
- Jane Crawford b: 1 Apr 1774 in Middle River, Augusta Co., Virginia