O'Neill ancestry

Entries: 2231    Updated: Sat Aug 25 22:38:09 2001    Contact: Mark ONeill

Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Download GEDCOM | Add Post-em

  • ID: I487
  • Name: Phredes James (Reed) MCGOUGH
  • Sex: M
  • Birth: 14 JAN 1848 in Summerhill Twp., Cambria County, PA
  • Christening: 9 APR 1848 St Bartholomew, Wilmore, Cambria County, PA
  • Death: 21 FEB 1929 in Croyle Township, Cambria County, PA
  • Burial: St Bartholomew, Wilmore, Cambria County, PA
  • Note:
    !BAPTISM: by Rev. Tobias MULLEN. Godparents: Rev. Tobias MULLEN/Sarah DUGAN.
    !LAND: PROPERTY DEEDS PA, Cambria County GRANTEE: McGOUGH, Paredes J - TB STEWART 29 Apr 1889 DB 68/124 Summerhill Twp. GRANTOR: McGOUGH, Pradius James or PJ al - John MANGUS, Jr 26 Oct 1888 DB 65/76 Summerhill Twp. McGOUGH, Paredes J ux - Lyman D GILBERT 8 June 1891 DB 78/355 Summerhill Twp. McGOUGH, Paredes J ux - Wm H MULHOLLEN 6 Sept 1902 DB 149/207 Summerhill Twp. McGOUGH, Paredes J al - Laura G NELSON vr 15 Feb 1922 DB 334/181 Summerhill Twp.
    !RESIDENCES: 1880 PA Cambria County, Conemaugh. 1900, 1920 PA Cambria County, Croyle Township, Summerhill.
    !BIOGRAPHY: JOHNSTOWN TRIBUNE 16 January 1928.
    !DEATH/OBITUARY: JOHNSTOWN TRIBUNE 22 February 1929. Death Certificate: File 19827 PA Cambria County. Cause of death: Chronic valvular heart disease
    He was called "Reed" because he was very thin.
    CENSUS 1880 PA Cambria Co Conemaugh 1st Ward ED 182; Pg 1 McGOUGH, Paredes 28 laborer PA PA Margaret 20 PA IRE PA CH: Howard 1 COMEY, Alice 18 sis in law PA IRE PA
    CENSUS 1900 PA Cambria Co Croyle Twp Summerhill McGOUGH, Phredes Jan 1852 48 M 22yrs carpenter PA PA PA Margaret Aug 1869 36 11 children/9 living PA IRE PA CHILDREN: Howard 21 (Aug 1878); Laura 16 (Feb 1884); Walter 15 (Feb 1885); Celestine 13 (Sep 1886); Alice 12 (Jan 1888); Mary 8 (Nov 1891); Helen 3 (Apr 1897); Rose 1 (May 1899)
    CENSUS 1920 PA Cambria Co Croyle Twp Summerhill McGOUGH, P.J. 71 Carpenter MD MD PA Laura 35 dau. Laundress Mary 28 " " " Granddaughters: Genieve 14; Virginia 9
    JOHNSTOWN TRIBUNE 16 January 1928 PAREDES J. MCGOUGH MEMBER OF OLD FAMILY HAS 80TH ANNIVERSARY Grandson of Pioneers, He Was Born in Loghouse Along Old Portage----WAS INJURED WHILE WORKING HERE: Summerhill Jan 15--Paredes James McGOUGH, the oldest native resident of Summerhill and one of Cambria County's best known men yesterday observed the 80th anniversary of his birth. Mr. McGOUGH is in the enjoyment of good health and is still able to do a little work in spite of his fourscore years. P.J. McGOUGH was born 14 Jan 1848 in a one-story loghouse along the old Portage railroad. This building was known as the "Half-Way House" and was used by the late William and George MURRAY as a store and eating house when passen- gers on the boats stopped for provisions and meals. The MURRAYS were among the first settlers of Summerhill, then known as "Half Way". Paredes McGOUGH was the grandson of Thomas McGOUGH known as land agent for T. JACKSON, who owned the entire tract of ground from Wilmore to Summerhill, land now owned by the SKELLYS, McGUIRES, CRUMS, PRINGLES and others. Before her marriage, Thomas McGOUGH's wife was a Miss FOX* from Frederick, MD. Their son, James McGOUGH and his wife, who was a SKELLY, were the parents of Paredes James McGOUGH. Baptized by Bishop MULLEN P.J. McGOUGH was baptized at Wilmore, then called Jefferson, by Father Tobias MULLEN, later bishop of Erie. Father MULLEN and Mrs. Hugh DUGAN were the Godparents of Parades McGOUGH. He was baptized in the old stone church razed some years ago to make way for the present structure. Mr. McGOUGH is the father of 11 children, nine of whom are living. He was a box maker and carpenter by trade and followed this occupation here in Johnstown for years. Some years ago, while engaged in making boxes at the GOENNER brewery in Johnstown, Mr. McGOUGH lost several fingers of the right hand when the member was caught in a band saw. In politics P.J. McGOUGH is a staunch Democrat and hopes his party will be successful at the national, state and county elections next November.
    OBITUARY: 22 Feb 1929 PAREDES J. McGOUGH OF SUMMERHILL DIES Born in Log House Along Portage Railroad 81 years ago. Summerhill Feb 21--Paredes J. McGOUGH aged 81, one of Summerhill's oldest and best known residents died at 7 o'clock this morning at the home of his son-in- law and daughter, Mr. & Mrs. Fred Nelson, "Reed" McGOUGH as he was known for many years, had been ailing for some time. P.J. McGOUGH was born 14 Jan 1848 in a one-story log house along the old Portage railroad, Mr. McGOUGH'S birthplace was known as the "HALF-Way House" and was used for many years as a general store and eating house for persons using the boats. Mr. McGOUGH was baptised at Jefferson, now Wilmore, by the late Rev. Father Tobias MULLEN, later bishop of the Erie diocese. Father MULLEN and Mrs. DUGAN were Mr. McGOUGH'S godparents. Mr. McGOUGH was a carpenter and boxmaker by trade. Some years ago while working for the GOENNER Brewery, Johnstown, he suffered the loss of several fingers of the right hand when the member was caught in a band saw. Mr. McGOUGH was a life-long Democrat. Mr. McGOUGH's wife died about 25 years ago. He is survived by the following children: Howard, Pittsburgh; Walter, who was severely injured 2 months ago in a mine accident at Ehrenfeld, and Celestine both of Summerhill; Mrs. Fred ANGUS, Conemaugh; Mrs. Orville MANGUS, Johnstown; Mrs. John SIMPSON, Indiana County; Mary this place and Mrs. NELSON. Funeral services will be conducted at 9:30 o'clock in St John's Catholic church, this place the requiem mass to be celebrated by the Rev. Father RICHARD, OSB, pastor. Interment will be in St Bartolomew's Cemetery, Wilmore.
    *NOTE: No records have been found to support an earlier marriage to a "Miss FOX".
    NATIONAL PARK SERVICE RESOURCE STUDY CROYLE'S MILL OR THE HALFWAY HOUSE (Section 16) Halfway on the long level stood CROYLE'S Mill, one of the major landmarks along the Little Conemaugh River in 1831. Thomas Croyle evidently had constructed the saw-mill on the site around 1801, and had erected a bridge across the river and a road to connect with the Frankstown road. Another road, ordered by the State to be opened in 1808, connected CROYLE'S Mill with the growing village of Ebensburg to the north. No doubt during 1831-1832, when the tracks for the Portage Railroad were under construction, CROYLE'S Mill provided lumber for the Commonwealth, but in 1833, the State contracted with Thomas CROYLE himself, to remove his saw-mill "in order to enable the contractor to procure a sufficient foundation for the slope wall". In the process of accomplishing this task, CROYLE had found it necessary to open the dam to drain off the water from the pool above, which in turn had suspended his Grist-mill. CROYLE consequently not only collected a fee to remove his extensive operations along the river.
    Planned as a refueling location for the locomotives, the Commonwealth contracted for a wood shed and water station at CROYLE'S. In 1836 the State paid Allen ROSE $20.00 for boring and laying 650 feet of wooden pipes to the water station, and George MURRAY $336.24 for erecting the water station and wood shed.
    CROYLE also operated a farm at the site, as the State contracated with Philip PRINGLE in May of 1833 to erect a fence "of good substantial post and rails on the farm of Thomas CROYLE".
    In 1839 John SNODGRASS, Superintendent of Motive Power, referred to the station at CROYLE'S as the Halfway House, a term which gained popular acceptance in the area. Only one reference turned up in the railroad records to indicate a structural change at the Half Way House; in 1839 Superintendent MOORHEAD noted that at the wood shed, half way on the long lever, I found it necessary, for the accomodation of the motive power in furnishing wood, to lay a lateral road around the shed. Evidently Summerhill, the town now located at the original CROYLE site, first developed into a community during the period when the ALlegheny Portage Railroad stopped at its halfway house on the long level.
    28 Jan 1994: "The Half Way House was by the arch that was over Route 53 near where ORDIES lived. It was built by George MURRAY and sold to his brothe Charles. The McGOUGHS never owned the stone house. I knew that Reed McGOUGH lived next to the KIME Hotel." Courtesy of Wallace CROYLE of Summerhill, Cambria Co, PA.




    Father: James F. MCGOUGH b: 20 FEB 1814 in Cambria County, PA c: 1 MAY 1814 in St Michaels, Loretto, Cambria County, PA
    Mother: Deborah Mary FLENNER b: ABT 1815 in Taneytown, Frederick County, MD

    Marriage 1 Margaret COMEY b: 30 AUG 1860 in Croyle Township, Cambria County, PA c: 30 SEP 1860 in St Bartholomew, Wilmore, Cambria County, PA
    • Married: in Cambria County, PA
    Children
    1. Has Children Edward Howard MCGOUGH b: 21 AUG 1878 in Cambria County, PA
    2. Has Children Laura Genieve MCGOUGH b: ABT 1884 in Cambria County, PA
    3. Has Children Walter Albert MCGOUGH b: 23 FEB 1885 in Portage, Cambria County, PA
    4. Has Children Lawrence Celestine (Tyne) MCGOUGH b: 30 SEP 1886 in Cambria County, PA
    5. Has Children Alice Regina MCGOUGH b: JAN 1888 in Summerhill, Croyle Township, Cambria County, PA
    6. Has No Children Mary MCGOUGH b: NOV 1891 in Cambria County, PA
    7. Has Children Margaret Catherine MCGOUGH b: 4 APR 1894 in Summerhill Twp., Cambria County, PA
    8. Has No Children Helen F. MCGOUGH b: 25 APR 1897 in S Railroad St., Portage, Cambria County, PA
    9. Has No Children Rose Janet MCGOUGH b: MAY 1899 in Cambria County, PA
    10. Has No Children Patrick MCGOUGH b: 31 MAR 1903 in Main St, Portage, Cambria County, PA
    11. Has No Children Bernadette MCGOUGH
  • We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

    Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Download GEDCOM | Add Post-em

    Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly Version Search Ancestry Search Ancestry Search WorldConnect Search WorldConnect Join Ancestry.com Today! Join Ancestry.com Today!

    WorldConnect Home | WorldConnect Global Search | WorldConnect Help

    RootsWeb.com, Inc. is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. If you have a problem with a particular entry, please contact the submitter of said entry. You have full control over your GEDCOM. You can change or remove it at any time.