Name: John MCCORMICK
Given Name: John
Birth: 30 Aug 1754 in Near Winchester, Frederick Co, Province of Virginia 1
Death: 18 Apr 1837 in Connersville, Fayette, Indiana, USA 2
Burial: Apr 1837 Connersville City Cemetery 3
Residence: May 1776 Lived on Holston River in SW Virginia at time of enlistment
Residence: 1795 Bedford, PA
Residence: Bet 1795 and 1804 Butler Co, Ohio
Residence: Bet 1804 and 1813 Preble Co, Ohio
Residence: 1813 Fayette Co, Connersville, Indiana
Transcripts of John McCormick's pension application:
Match of John to Francis McCormick is based on family trees
listed online, and several pieces of Information:
John stated that he was born within eight miles of Winchester, VA,
which put it in the range of Francis McCormick's farm Lang Sine.
John states that he was on the "Holstein River" in 1776
when he first joined the Virginia militia, which is in SW VA, or
what is now NE Tennessee. During the war he ended up in
Bedford, PA. He also states he moved to Ohio in 1795.
LDS microfilm library Reel # 0031412
Wills and Deeds of Hampshire Co. Virginia 1790 to 1804.
Page 102 (bottom) to page 104 Dated 4 Nov 1793
Francis McCormick to John McCormick -- 100 acres plus houses,
buildings, orchards, ways waters, watercourses,
profits, commodieies, and hereditaments and appurtenances,
in the county of Frederick for (500) five hundred pounds.
It was common for fathers to "sell" their land to sons when
the father was nearing the end of his life, so that creditors
could not attach the land during probate to pay debts.
John McCormick sold his VA property to his brothers
Province & Thomas in 1795.
According to the current owner of Lang Sine farm, Francis "sold" Lang
Sine to his eldest son John in 1793; Francis died in 1794; John sold Lang
Sine to his brothers Province and Thomas in 1795. This is based on the
same land transactions referenced above.
According to Hugh.M.McIlhany in "Some Virginia Families" page 222
Francis McCormick's son John "moved to Ohio early in life."
According to J.E Norris "History of the Lower Shenandoah Valley..."
Page 628 "Two of the seven sons of the first Francis, who,
as shown at the beginning of this sketch, was the son of
the original first McCormick [Dr. John Isaac McCormick],
who settled in this section, left Virginia when
young." Both Francis's (1734) sons Francis Jr and John ended up in
Southwestern Ohio at the same time.
Father: Francis MCCORMICK b: 17 Apr 1734 in Orange County, VA
Mother: Ann PROVINCE b: 21 Aug 1735 in Chester, Pennsylvania, USA
Catherine DRENNEN b: 25 Jan 1769 in Bedford Co, Pennsylvania
24 Mar 1785
in Bedford, Pennsylvania 1
24 Mar 1780
in Bedford, Pennsylvania, USA 2
24 Mar 1783
in Bedford County, PA 4
- Sarah MCCORMICK b: 22 Apr 1786 in Bedford County, Pennsylvania
- Anna MCCORMICK b: 6 Sep 1787 in Bedford County., Pennsylvania
- Samuel MCCORMICK b: 23 Sep 1789 in Bedford County, Pennsylvania
- John MCCORMICK b: 15 Sep 1792 in Bedford County, Pennsylvania
- William MCCORMICK b: 27 Sep 1793 in Bedford County, Pennsylvania
- Joseph MCCORMICK b: 7 Sep 1795 in Butler County, Ohio
- James MCCORMICK b: 5 Dec 1797 in Butler County, Ohio
- Robert MCCORMICK b: 19 Jun 1804 in Butler or Preble County, Ohio
- Lewis W MCCORMICK b: 9 Jun 1807 in Preble County, Ohio
- Catherine MCCORMICK b: 20 Dec 1808 in Preble Co., Ohio
- David MCCORMICK b: 24 Jan 1811 in Preble County., Ohio
- Mary MCCORMICK b: 9 Jul 1813 in Preble Co, Ohio or Fayette Co, Connersville, Indiana
- Title: Lotus Lilly McCormick Stauffer
Source Media Type: Manuscript
- Author: Ancestry.com
Title: One World Tree (sm)
Publication: Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., n.d.
- Title: Connersville Library
Source Media Type: Newspaper
- Title: Micheal A. Smoke Genealogy.com Home Page