Name: Reason Thomas DORSEY
Given Name: Reason Thomas
Birth: 18 Aug 1825 in Booneville,Warrick County,Indiana
Death: 11 Nov 1896
Burial: Reed Cemetery,Warrick County,Indiana
Change Date: 3 Apr 2002 1
Biographical Sketch of Reason T. Dorsey (shared by fellow researcher and distant cousin, Deborah Ann Carlton)
Reason T. Dorsey, a native of Warrick County, Indiana, was born August 18, 1825, a son of Greenberry W. and Susan (Cavender) Dorsey, who were natives of Kentucky. In about the year 1824, the father came to this county, which was then a new
county and sparsely settled about four miles northwest of Boonville. A few years later he moved to a farm in the northeastern part of Boon Township, where he farmed successfuly until his death, which occured about the year 1838.
Greenberry was one of those hardworking old pioneers in whom the traits of honesty and purity of character were particularly predominant. In that respect, Reason T. Dorsey, subject of this sketch, is not unlike his father. After passing through
the inconveniences and hardships incident to the life of the average backwoods boy, he began farming for himself at the age of 18, on land adjoining the old homestead that was entered in his name by his father. He continued agricultural
pursuits in various portions of Boon Township until 1860, when he purchased the old home farm, which now consists of 175 acres, and where he has since resided.
In 1850 he married Elizabeth Lee, a native of Kentucky, by whom he became the father of 12 children, the following named yet living: Frances J., Willis, William W., Benjamin, Robert, Mary Ann, Lucretia and Daniel C.
The mother is a member of the Baptist Church. Mr. Dorsey is a Democrat in politics. His mother died in 1879.1 HIST Found mention of a divorce between Elizabeth and Reason T. Dorsey, April 1851 - information from "Warrick County, Indiana, Miscellaneous Volume 1, Intentions/Naturalizations, Divorces and Wills, 1997" - original record in Civil Order Book 3,
October 1847 - April 1853.
Father: Greenberry Woodward DORSEY b: 1794/1800 in native of Kentucky
Mother: Susan CAVENDER Sousin b: 1800/1808 in Fayette County,Kentucky
Elizabeth Ann LEE b: 3 Mar 1831 in Kentucky
- Frances Jane DORSEY b: 3 May 1850 in Warrick County,Indiana
- Willis DORSEY b: Abt 1854/1855 in Warrick County,Indiana
- Emily DORSEY b: 8 Sep 1857
- William W. DORSEY b: 8 Oct 1857 in Indiana
- Benjamin F. DORSEY b: 9 Dec 1859 in Warrick County,Indiana
- Benedict DORSEY b: 1861
- Robert Edward DORSEY b: Aug 1862 in Warrick County,Indiana
- Sarah S. DORSEY b: 1863
- Greenberry W. DORSEY b: 1867
- Mary Ann DORSEY b: Abt 1867/1868 in Skelton Township,Warrick County,IN
- America DORSEY b: Sep 1869
- Lucretia DORSEY b: 14 Sep 1870
- Daniel Curtis (D.C.) DORSEY b: 1875 in Warrick County,Indiana
- Title: GEDCOM File : lebradley77.ged
Date: 8 Jan 2001