Name: John BALDWIN
Given Name: John
Birth: June 24, 1619 in Clinton, Buckinghamshire, England
Death: June, 1681 in Milford, CT
Burial: June 21, 1681 Milford, CT
Immigration: 1638 with father on ship "Martin" to America-Boston
John Baldwin was born in England, but immigrated to America about 1638-39. He settled in Milford, CT, where he married Mary Camp abt. 1639, and had 6-7 children with Mary Camp Baldwin: Elizabeth, Joseph, John, Josiah, Samuel, and Nathaniel.
John Baldwin married #2 (prob. after Mary Camp Baldwin's death)to Mary Bruen in Milford, CT in Nov., 1653. He then had 7 more children: Mary, Sarah, Abigail, Obadiah, Hannah, George, and Richard.
John Baldwin made a will May 24, 1681, and his body was interred June 21, 1681 in Milford. He was 62 years old.
Pg. 640 of the History of the Colony of New Haven, CT, by Atwater John Baldwin (16--to 1681), indicates a son of Sylvester Baldwin who died on the Ship "Martin" in 1638 on the way to Boston (this could possibly be a brother to John Baldwin, and that his father's name was possibly Sylvester Baldwin). He also indicates that John Baldwin had 7 or more children with his first wife, Mary Camp.
In 1653 he married #2 to Mary Bruen and by her had 7 children, all of these latter through their mother trace back to royal lines and to William the Conqueror. Mary Bruen was the daughter of Obadiah Bruen of Bruen, Stapleford, Cheshire, England.
About 1667 or 1668, John Baldwin moved to Newark, NJ, but returned to Milford, where he died and is buried. In his will, made in May, 1681, shortly before his death, he mentions all of his children, except "Samuel, Mary, and Sarah, who had probably died before 1681" (for further information see Baldwin Family Book, 1889, pgs. 1373, by Judge C.C. Baldwin, Cleveland, OH).
Father: John (sr.) or Sylvester BALDWIN b: 1568 in England
Mother: Hannah BIRCHARD
Mary CAMP b: 1621
mg. #1,abt. 1639
in Milford, CT
- Marriage Contract:
mg. #2 to Mary Bruen
in Nov., 1653-Milford, CT
- Josiah (sr.) BALDWIN b: abt. 1642 in Milford, CT c: June 25, 1666 in Milford, CT (24-25 yrs. of age)
- Elizabeth BALDWIN b: abt. 1640 in Milford, CT
- Joseph BALDWIN b: abt. 1641 in Milford, CT
- John BALDWIN b: abt. 1640 in Milford, CT
- Samuel BALDWIN b: abt. 1645 in Milford, CT
- Nathaniel BALDWIN b: abt. 1648 in Milford, CT
- Mary BALDWIN b: Sept. 7, 1654 in Milford, CT
- Sarah BALDWIN b: Dec. 25, 1655 in Milford, CT
- Abigail BALDWIN b: Nov. 15, 1658 in Milford, CT
- Obadiah BALDWIN b: Oct. 29, 1660 in Milford, CT
- Hannah BALDWIN b: Nov. 20, 1663 in Milford, CT
- George BALDWIN b: June, 1665 in Milford, CT
- Richard BALDWIN b: Dec. 27, 1666 in Milford, CT