Name: John SHATTO 1 2 3 4 5 6
Birth: 24 NOV 1811 in Ohio
Death: 14 JUN 1862 in St. Louis, St. Louis Co., Missouri 7
Census: 1840 Shows John Shatto, 1 male under 5, 1 male 5 to 10, 1 male 20 to 30, 1 female under 5, 1 female 20 to 30, living in un-named township, Trumbull Co., Ohio
Census: 1850 Shows John Shatto, age 38, a Laborer, wife Magdalena, age 40, children Isaac, age 15, a laborer, Mary, age 12, Henry A, age 9, and Harriet, age 5, all living in Chatham, Medina Co., Ohio.
Census: 1860 Shows John Shatto, age 48, a farmer, Solan Brocket, age 22, Mary Brocket, age 22, children Emma, age 3, and John, age 3/12, all living in Montrose, Genesee Co., Michigan.
Burial: 14 JUN 1862 Jefferson Barraks National Cemetery, Section 52, Site 915, St. Louis, St. Louis Co., Missouri
The heirs to the Adam Shatto estate were the children of the deceased: Joseph Shatto, Mary Ann Springer, Mary (Polly) Montgomery, Susan Doyle, Lydia Crouse and the minor children of David Shatto, deceased, Caroline and John Shatto. The heirs of the estate received shares in two separate payments. Each first received $114.28, the a second payment of $69.31, for a total of $183.59, with the minor children of David Shatto, receiving first $114.28, then the second payment of $183.59, for a total of $297.87, to be divided between the two minor children, however, the receipt of May 31, 1852 indicates total received of $183.59.
Received April 12, 1851, $183.59 for his full share of estate of Adam Shatto, Signed by John Shatto.
Military War Record
Enlisted: Fall of 1861
Company: I Unit: 10
Rank: Induction Private, Discharge Private
John Shatto was wounded during a battle and as treated at Good Samaritan Hospital in St. Louis Missouri, where he did not recover from his wounds. He died June 14, 1862 and buried the same day in the National Cemetery in St. Louis.
Father: Adam SHATTO b: BET 1770 AND 1780 in Possibly Pennsylvania
Mother: Mary UNKNOWN b: in Possibly Pennsylvania
Mary Magdalena OHL b: 16 JUL 1809 in Canfield, Trumbull Co., Ohio
12 SEP 1824
in Trumbull Co., Ohio
in Wayne Co., Ohio
- Isaac T SHATTO b: 1835 in Trumbull Co., Ohio
- Mary SHATTO b: 1838 in Trumbull Co., Ohio
- Henry Adam SHATTO b: 1841 in Trumbull Co., Ohio
- Abby SHATTO b: 1842 in Trumbull Co., Ohio
- Harriet SHATTO b: 1845 in Trumbull Co., Ohio
- Eli SHATTO b: 1848 in Ohio
- George Rufus SHATTO b: 15 AUG 1850 in Ohio
- Rosella Hattie SHATTO b: 1852 in Chatham, Medina Co., Ohio
- Title: 1840 Census, Ohio, Trumbull Co., unnamed township, Roll: 429, Pg: 231
- Title: 1850 Census, Ohio, Medina Co., Chatham, Pg: 234, Roll: M432_709
- Title: 1860 Census, Michigan, Genesee Co., Montrose, Roll: M653_544, Pg: 0
- Title: Wooster, Wayne County Ohio Courthouse, Estate Records, Filing date: January 27, 1847, Name: Adam Shatto
- Title: Civil War Pension Application, John Shatto, Magdalina Shatto
- Title: Civil War Service Records, John Shatto, Co: I, Unit: 10, Michigan Infantry
- Title: U.S. Veterans Cemeteries 1800 - 2004, John Shatto, Section 52, Site 915, Jefferson Barraks National Cemetery, St. Louis Missouri