Name: Calvin Bugbee Stowell 1 2
Birth: 24 OCT 1795 in Vermont
Birth: in Born in Vermont, accordong to several census entries by Calvin and/or his children.
Death: 29 MAY 1879 in Darien Center, Genesee Co., NY
Residence: Darien, Corfu, Pavilion & Leroy, NY
Residence: BEF 1850 New Woodstock, NY
Occupation: Blacksmith. Employed seven men. Made hoes, shovels, knives.
Burial: Maplewood Cemetery, Pavilion, Genesee Co., NY
Census: 1830 Cazenovia, Madison, New York; Roll 93; Page: 218. Indexed as Sowel. Next door is Olive Sabin.
Calvin B. Stowell was a blacksmith and contemporary with Pliny & Orrin Sabin.* He livied in the house where Hiram Estes now resides which was moved to it`s present site when Wm. T. Richmond sold it to the railroad. Mr. Stowell owned a blacksmith shop east of W.H. Smith`s house which was then a shoe shop and dwelling owned by Mr. Mix. He employed seven men and made hoes, shovels, bunch hooks, axes and knives. Every year he went overland to Pennsylvania to sell his wares and was gone three or four weeks. He was an upright business man , a power in the community, and was frequently called upon to settle estates. At the time Mr. Stowell was a resident of New Woodstock the pigeons were so thick and tame that they could be picked off the trees. Once two bushels thus obtained were cooked at Mr. Stowell`s house.
from: New Woodstock and Vicinity: past and present. pub. 1901
* Orrin Sabin was Olive Bell`s fist husband.
CENSUS YR: 1850 STATE or TERRITORY: NY COUNTY: Genesee DIVISION: town of Pavilion REEL NO: 432-507 PAGE NO: 199b
REFERENCE: Enumerated on the 10th day of October 1850 by David Mallory
LN HN FN LAST NAME FIRST NAME AGE SEX RACE OCCUP. VAL. BIRTHPLACE MRD. SCH. R/W DDB
================================================================================================================18 215 236 Stowell Calvin B. 54 M F 3,825 VT
REMARKS: F could be for Farmer
19 215 236 Stowell Olive 52 F NY
20 215 236 Stowell Luther K. 26 M Laborer NY
21 215 236 Stowell Martin G. 19 M Laborer NY X
22 215 236 Stowell John C. 21 M Blacksmith NY
23 215 236 Stowell William F. 15 M Student NY X
24 215 236 Stowell Ralph P. 14 M NY X
25 215 236 McGregor Jennette 15 F NY X
The Stowell Genealogy states Calvin B. was born in Pomfret, Ct. All census records show Vermont as his birthplace.
1860 census, NY state, Orleans Co., town of Gaines, pg. 489
Calvin B. Stowell, age 64, b. Vermont, occ. farmer
Eveline E., 43, b. NY
Mary E., 15, b. NY
Imogene M., 12, b. NY
Martha E., 2 b. NY
1870 census, NY state, Genesee Co., town of Pembroke, pg. 696
Calvin B. Stowell, at home, age 74, b.VT. Value of Real Estate: $800., Value of Personal Estate: $1,000
Eveline A. " keeping house, age 53, b. NY
Martha A. " at school, " 11 " "
Father: Calvin B. Stowell b: 12 APR 1765 in Pomfret, Windham Co. CT.
Mother: Sarah Kinney b: 19 JAN 1768 in Pomfret, CT.
Mary Stiles Southwell b: 27 APR 1797 in Booneville, Oneida Co., NY
23 NOV 1817
in Madison Co. NY
- Oscar Palmer Stowell b: 23 DEC 1819 in New Woodstock, NY
- Lucien Southwell Stowell b: 1 JAN 1821 in New Woodstock, NY
- Luther Kinney Stowell b: 16 OCT 1825 in New Woodstock, NY
- John Calvin Stowell b: 7 SEP 1826 in New Woodstock, Madison Co., New York
- Olive Annette Stowell b: 2 MAY 1827 in New Woodstock, NY
- Martin Gibbs Stowell b: 7 APR 1830 in New Woodstock, NY
- George Rodney Stowell b: 8 SEP 1831 in New Woodstock, NY
- Phineas Luke Stowell b: 13 NOV 1832
- William Franklin Stowell b: 29 JUL 1834
Olive Bell b: 4 DEC 1798 in Prob.Washington Co.NY
18 MAR 1835
in probably Madison Co., NY 3
- Ralph Phineas Stowell b: 1 MAR 1836 in New Woodstock, Madison Co., New York
- Martha Almena Stowell b: 26 OCT 1858
- Title: The Stowell Genealogy by W.H.H. Stowell
- Title: Gravestones- Maplewood Cemetery, Pavilion,NY
- Title: Family Bible records